Nurburgring Highlight Thread

mjo

I may be wrong, but I doubt that there could be much in the way of highlights for the 1968 race. visibility was so bad (frequently under 100 yards) that you couldn't really tell what was going on. The only other time I can remember being that cold, wet and miserable was the BOAC race at Brands Hatch in 1970.

Not really a "highlight" from the Nurburgring but explains why F1 doesn't race there any more. WARNING Contains some disturbing scenes. If anyone can translate the German interviews with Lauda I'd be interested to know what he's saying.

With the German round fast approaching, it's about time I started this thread. Everyone else should feel free to add highlights of their own on here as well.

I'll start with an absolutely chaotic couple of laps in the 2007 European GP.

That race was so crazy. I think they'd definetly red flag it almost instantly these days, it's great to see them keeping it running though, I wish they did that more these days. It almost makes a joke of some of these races they red flag now, when you see what they used to drive in.

Keke, do you have the rest of that race on video anywhere? I really got into it and would love to keep on watching it till the end!

That race was so crazy. I think they'd definetly red flag it almost instantly these days, it's great to see them keeping it running though, I wish they did that more these days. It almost makes a joke of some of these races they red flag now, when you see what they used to drive in.

Totally agree. I don't want to keep banging on about this, but it's a bit ridiculous that in a bit of heavy rain, they red - flag it. It's all too health-and-safety these days.

Jackie Stewart still holds the record for the biggest winning margin from the '68 race - over four minutes*. A record that I think now is unlikely to be beaten...given the reliability of the field and the lack of a tyre war (Dunlop's wets were a key part of Jackie's advantage). Or am I wrong?

*twice, races have been won by a margin of two laps, most recently Damon Hill at Adelaide in 1995, but taking the lap length and converting to a notional time the gap is not as big as JYS'.

Jackie Stewart still holds the record for the biggest winning margin from the '68 race - over four minutes*. A record that I think now is unlikely to be beaten.

1958 Portuguese GP, Moss lead from Hawthorne, when Hawthorne slowed on the last lap. Not wanting to embarrass his team-mate Moss slowed to let Hawthorne cross the line without being lapped. Winning margin was over 5 minutes I think.

1958 Portuguese GP, Moss lead from Hawthorne, when Hawthorne slowed on the last lap. Not wanting to embarrass his team-mate Moss slowed to let Hawthorne cross the line without being lapped. Winning margin was over 5 minutes I think.

Goodness me, so it was. It seems I've been ignorant of that for a long time. So much for the record never being beaten, eh?

Back
Top Bottom