Nigel Mansell

Personally, I'd be very keen to know what people here think of Nigel Mansell - who had a very similar record in some ways to Button.... Autosport ran a very interesting article a few weeks about some of Nige's stats - did you know that Mansell only outqualified his team-mate 87-83 over his entire career? Yes Mansell did win 3 times as many races as Button has during his career, but you have to just compare their careers - Mansell won in his 6th season of F1, Button his 7th, but whilst Mansell then had the best car on the grid the following year, Button had just about the worst!

Mind (And I know this is off topic) - Mansell regularly gets tarnished for his time at Ferrari as team-mate to Prost - but did you know that the qualifying record was 8-8 between the two of them - and that was even given the fact that Mansell was never the greatest qualifier out there!

Lol, the last few posts make little sense now the other posts have been removed, but the thread overall makes more sense now than it did before haha.

Anyway, Nigel Mansell….

Nigel Mansell

For ****s sake safari spell checker doesn't even recognize the name Nigel or Mansell don't those names exist in the good ol US of A?

And a two world summation,, Boring Git....

I am currently working on a Tamiya model of Mansell's '89 Ferrari. He is still one of my favorite drivers and I will always have great memories watching his career.

Red 5 always gets my blood pumping for racing.

Only 3 wins for Ferrari but all quite memorable. His first race for them in a car that they didn't expect to last for more than 5 lap, a win from stupidly far back in Hingary and a win where he nearly pushed his world championship contender team mate off the track at the start.

People may think he was a bit dull off the track but he never lacked for excitment on it!

Nigel is probably the only driver in the history of the sport to drop pearls of blood on the top step of the podium after somehow managing to cut himself on the edges of his winner's trophy (Rio 1989)... :D There is something hilariously in keeping with his persona encapsulated in the anecdote..

well this has not got many psots but maybe if Nige was still driving now he would show everyone what a wuss they were in wheel to wheel racing and passing without using the DRS or KERS

RasputinLives

Former Lotus Boss Peter Warr thought Nige was full of himself and would not admit he was paranoid or just not good enough as he was fed up with Nige's whingeing about something wrong with the car always

Nigel was surely right, when he said, " drivers are not jockeys. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24568089

There are two things in Mansell's rant that I find both deeply ironic and hysterically funny:

1) His claim that there wasn't traction control in his day. Did a senior moment make him forget that the only championship he won was at the wheel of the the F1 car with the most driver aids in history, including traction control, pitch and yaw control (via active suspension), anti-lock brakes etc?

2) That the driver complaining about weight limits is the only driver I ever heard of that had a backside so huge he couldn't wedge it into a car he was supposed to drive

For most of Mansell's career they didn't have those driver aids. In making the point that drivers needed a bit of bulk, I doubt that he was thinking much about his last few years in the sport. As far as fitting into that McLaren was concerned. It was not just his butt that didn't fit. Neither did his back, shoulders and legs. In those days he wasn't fat, he was just plain big. Mock him if you must but he was making a valid point in support of bigger drivers like Hulkenberg.

Fenderman,

There has always been size disparity. Compare Dan Gurney vs Jimmy Clark or Jackie Stewart. Did Dan whine about it?

The weight limit is going up 50kg. How much more would Nige consider enough? As the smaller drivers' cars would have to have ballast added, would Nige demand that it be located above the engine? After all, placing it in the bottom of the car wouldn't address the weight distribution problem, would it?

Back
Top Bottom