Nico Punished

I think this is racing. Two competitive guys with a huge team behind them. It is us, the fans (and consequently the media) who create all the crap.

Mercedes weren't looking to colour an opinion on Nico, but were pushed into it when they realised what the media were saying.

I will say again that the stewards did not see anything worth penalising, we have to go with this, and that should be the end of it.

I don't want to see any racer sidelined by team orders, team politics or PR crap.

I would have been fine with that if it wasn't for Rosberg's debrief comments. That was not a media creation. And they have confirmed several times over.

And although I wasn't around in the 60's, I didn't think that positioning your car to "prove a point" was permissible.

Mercedes had nothing to gain by belaboring Belgium any further. They were rightly incensed. You can hardly blame them for delivering an explanation to their team, their executive board, and their fans.

Of course we all know that the damage has already been done, and the Monza meeting is quickly approaching. I can't wait for Friday. And if for the first time in months Hamilton experiences a reliability free weekend then I believe the Championship will again draw closer.

Well, I suppose when the end of the season comes and Nico has lost the WDC by X points, he can satisfy himself that he didn't lie to the stewards to try to get another driver disqualified, and also that another team member didn't lose their job to cover for it....

Apart from Monaco and Belgium you mean?

I liked your post as it was the reaction I expected. It was sort of meant to be the hand grenade in the room. Lewis has a bit of history of exaggerating situations, and the incident to which I referred DID happen. Going by that, did he exaggerate or misinterpret the meaning of what Nico said post Spa? Any speculation as to what Nico's intentions were at Monaco and Spa are just that - speculation, and weren't investigated. Of course, if you favour a particular driver, and Lewis is a very popular driver - especially in the UK, then you may come to a particular conclusion. That conclusion isn't always borne out by the facts. It seems to me you have one driver with a dubious history of telling the whole truth, and one with a previously impeccable record - I stand to be corrected if Nico has done something before I'm not aware of......
The Spa incident has become ridiculously overblown - it was a racing incident that would have not even registered on this site if it had been further down the field. Nico apologised because he's been told to or else.

Yeah, I suppose it's possible that Hamilton may have "exaggerated" or flat out lied in his post debrief comments. It's about as likely as Mercedes having orchestrated this whole charade in a way that could only tarnish their driver however. Surely the Merc management is not as foolish as Davey Ryan and Co. were.

Romain Grosjean was banned because of who he took out of the race at Spa 2012. Some collisions naturally carry more weight than others because of the protagonists involved. The Championship leader squandering a near certain 1-2 was bound to attract a bit of attention.

The fact that he unleashed his anger/dismay/frustration about Hungary in a team meeting on Thursday before the Belgian GP perfectly illustrates his frame of mind. As far as he was concerned, Hamilton disobeyed a team order and was ultimately supported for doing it. In his head he was "owed one" and if it came at Lewis' or the Team's expense then that was fine by him. .

It seems as though the incident in Hungary, whereas Lewis disobyed team orders, by not slowing down in order to enable Rosberg to catch up, and eventually pass Hamilton, really placed a burr under his saddle. Lap 2 at Les Combes could be a result of that built up anger in him, and resulted in any reasonable chance of Lewis scoring any points, and possibly a race win.

Regardless of how the rest of the season pans out, whereas before I just thought Rosberg was a very good driver, now I also think he's a cheat and a liar. A view I have maintained since Monaco, and now reinforced by Belgium.

So they make a good pair of team mates.

Is that not because very few drivers get caught having lied ?
The problem is it's all subjective, depending on which stewards are on duty at the time.

More than once we have heard stewards say they made a mistake during the race but once a decision has been made, that's it.

So just because stewards x, y and z don't believe any foul was committed, that doesn't necessarily make it true (or vice versa).

The same can be said of any judicial process. It is based on the evidence presented and judged upon at the time.

Anyone who pleads not guilty in front of a court (or in this case stewards) and is found guilty can be said to have lied. Those who plead not quilty and are found so can be said to have told the truth.

Back
Top Bottom