NASCAR does F1

Didn't Wolf use a customer chassis?

As great as Brawn's achievement was it was Honda's development money that created the car. At least Haas has got racing and engineering experience so if anyone has a chance of starting well they have although if there are taking Ferrari engines is that a handicap before they even begin?

Actually, I think Walter Wolf was majority owner of Williams Racing before actually entering his own cars.

The Wolf WR-1 that Jody Schekter drove to victory in the teams first race was a proprietary design, aided by having the standard power train of the day: Cosworth with Hewland.

anyone thinks it will be Alex Rossi and Danica Patrick in the cars

- I think they may want one american driver but not two .

A Ferrari engine will probably mean a development driver from their academy

Rossi would make sense. He is already familiar with F1 in general and with the circuits, so all of that would be less of a day-to-day worry for him. I just don't see what Danica could possibly bring to the team other than publicity.

I think having Danica in F1, with her (IMO) lack of adequate talent, would make it even harder for a deserving woman to progress into the Formula for years to come.

I don't see Danica moving into F1 anymore. If she was going to do it, then it would have been done at the height of her open wheeled fame with the win and Indy 500 finishes. Now, I think she wants to crack NASCAR, she wouldn't be financially better off coming to F1, her global image may be enhanced but her US image which I think is more important to her, would suffer as a result and I get the impression she's not that bothered by F1 anyway.

cider_and_toast siffert_fan

Never say never in F1 at first Haas was not warm to the idea calling it a long shot but then the talk about promoting more women drivers into F1 and he quickly changed his mind

Danica actually has got ability and has raced against Lewis and Jenson so they know she is no mug behind the wheel

Whilst she not be bothered by F1 I am sure there will be plenty of money making opportunities for her and she deserves to be in F1 more than Susie for sure

I've been meaning to comment on this, but some of the pieces seem to be falling into place for this Haas venture.

It's all but certain they will be signing a deal with Ferrari to become a technical partner, which puts them on solid ground immediately. The US is obviously a huge market for Ferrari and they are always eager to increase exposure here. The assumption is that Haas could actually come in as a "Junior" Prancing Horse team. I see this as a best case scenario for everyone involved here.
Ferrari? Why in the world would you want to partner with Ferrari? Other than Alonso (which some would contend is the best driver in F1 right now), what has anything with a Ferrari engine done this year?

cider_and_toast siffert_fan

Never say never in F1 at first Haas was not warm to the idea calling it a long shot but then the talk about promoting more women drivers into F1 and he quickly changed his mind

Danica actually has got ability and has raced against Lewis and Jenson so they know she is no mug behind the wheel

Whilst she not be bothered by F1 I am sure there will be plenty of money making opportunities for her and she deserves to be in F1 more than Susie for sure
Yeah, Im pretty sure most NASCAR and Indycar drivers consider Danica to be a mug. Shes got zero talent and crashes (and usually crashes other people too) more than she finishes.

She doesn't have the talent. Not even close. Why are we still having this discussion she doesn't have the talent for F1, she's not interested in it, and nobody in F1 is interested in signing her. If Haas hires a woman driver it will be Simona de Silvestro. Remember, this isn't some patriotic attempt to prove that American can do everything better. This is Gene Haas trying to run a business, so there's no need for him to sign American drivers. I'm sure he will really want one just for the marketing opportunities and to get the U.S. market more interested, but it isn't a given. My bet is Rossi and another driver, likely a Ferrari junior driver. But you never know.

Personally I think Gene should try to get Sage Karam into F1. The kid won Indy Lights last year at age 18 and finished 9th in impressive fashion at the Indy 500 at age 19. He's been impressive in a few sportscar appearances as well.

soccerman17 if Gene HAas wants to get more exposure from the US and get more US backers then getting a US driver will certainly help

Rossi will probably be the one and he is just stirring things up saying Danica Patrick was interested she would be considered . The big issue is established US racing drivers tend to be paid very handsomely compared to most of their F1 counterparts so that would probably rule her out anyway

Ferrari? Why in the world would you want to partner with Ferrari?

Because for a new team it's a much better option than being in the wilderness on your own. Being a Ferrari junior team would be a fantastic situation for the fledgling Haas operation.

I think if Gene Haas has any sense he will build his team as a global brand. Motorsport in the US couldn't give a four X for any series outside of the main US brands. They're popular and well supported so why would major US sponsors worry about little ole F1 when their main markets are US based anyway.

Most teams who have tried to enter F1 waving the stars and bars and setting themselves up as that US of A team to beat all comers has come a cropper. There has been some great entries by some well know names and they've all not made it long in the sport for a number of reasons. Dan Gurney and Eagle, Parnelli Jones and his team, Carl Haas and Teddy Meyer with Haas Lola. None of these guys were mugs who knew nothing about motorsport and yet they couldn't get anywhere near where they were hoping to be.

Being a US based team and having that as a USP will only get you so far.

All true but engaging the U.S. market would help financially. American companies are certainly more likely to show sponsorship interest in the team than European ones, as the team will certainly have more American media focus than in Europe, well at least comparatively anyways. A U.S. driver would certainly help, but there is no doubt they can't go in as an All-American Patriotism Squad.

Chanoch Nissany ran a Friday session in F1, doesn't make him a halfway competent Grand Prix driver.

Maybe USF1 Haas should give Canamasas a go, he's clearly got money. I half expect Yamamoto turning up.

I'm not saying having a free practice/test/reserve drive makes Suzie Wolf a competent Grand Prix driver, I'm saying it makes her a legitimate discussion topic.

Why go with Canamasas when you could get Cecotto? At least he's fast when he's not putting it into the wall.

Back
Top Bottom