Name that car...

Seeing the aerodynamics of that car it looks like they thought that "Wind Tunnel" was just a posh word for someones arse dosn't it?

LOL

After some considerable length of time spent looking at Spesh's picture I've figured out the following:

1) The Yellow sign in the nose of the car says Tyrrell so I'm guessing it's a Tyrrell.

2) It's sponsored by Benetton and they began sponsoring Toleman in 1985 so it must be before that.

3) There are no side skirts so it must be post 1982

4) If it's between 1983 and 1984 then it's either being driven by Michalle Albereto, Stefan Bellof, Martin Brundle or Ivor Noidea?

As for type numbers you'll have to ask driver number 4 because I haven't got a clue.

Any one want to fill the rest in for me?

It's definitely Alboreto driving which means it's either the 011 (which was '82/83) or 012 (from '83/84) as I think the 014 had the Renault Turbo engine and they had lost Benetton sponsorship by then. I'm confused by the side pods though as the 011 had full length pods, didn't it?

One thing this did remind me about is another unsuccessful American F1 driver, Danny Sullivan, who partnered Alboreto at Tyrrell in 1983. He was an ex-New York cab driver and drove the Tyrrell in the same wayas he drove his cab. Note to USF1, one US driver may be good for publicity two is just foolish.

the 011 had full length pods, didn't it?

If the 011 ran in 1982 and 1983 then they would have revised the side pods for the 1983 season if the 1982 car had full length side pods with fixed skirts. That's my guess.

:dunno:

Right, I cheated and Googled. The '82 011 had full length pods (which Alboreto won in Las Vegas with) but in '83 they chopped them all the back 'cos everyone else had; so this is the Tyrrell 011 from 1983 driven by Michele Alboreto.

Henton%20011%20Monaco%2082.jpg

'82

134+-+Tyrrell+011.JPG

'83

Right, Have a go at this one then.

What car was this and how else was it known?

Attachments

• CTA_Quiz2.jpg
    CTA_Quiz2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 108
Well that's another Tyrrell (isn't it?) and the one before the dyhedral nose (016 or 017?). It looks like Marc Surer's crash helmet but I don't remember Surer driving for Tyrrell so it may be from a classic race with some rich bloke driving it. Is it the one Alesi drove?

FB said:
I've just realised that Spesh wasn't 100% accurate. The rather portly car I posted was in fact the Osella FA1 from 1980 not the FA1B from 1981.

Dang

You are correct in thinking it was the Tyrrell 011 :)

Sorry Spesh, you can still have the popcorn but only the salted stuff. :D

As to C_a_T's offering, I thought Life or Eurobrun but they weren't know by another name so is it a Leyton House MARCH? The one Gugelmin and Capelli drove?

Bang on TBY !!! :thumbsup:

Good work. :thumbsup:

Twas indeed the almost sponsorless Coloni C4 known to many as the Coloni DNPQ which became with the simple addition of some black paint and the letter B, The Andrea Moda C4B also known as the Andrea Moda DNS.

I believe you now have the pleasure of posting the next pic so over to you TBY.

A Wacky Races live action film, with David Coulthard as Peter Perfect, no CGI or prosthetics to needed to make the chin LOL

PETER+PERFECT+2.jpg

Anyway, back to the quiz. Hopefully this one will make you all struggle a bit.

Attachments

• Car Quiz.JPG
    Car Quiz.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom