Murray Walker

Come on Titch Murray was just an enthusiast, doubt if he could raise much enthusiasm for todays efforts, he took over from Raymond Baxter, now he could put you to sleep. The commentators on both Sky and 4 just don't cut it, Button might if they let him loose but in a PC world, some hopes :ermmm:

Last edited:
Murray Walker had great passion for F1 & he commentated in a way. that made F1 sound better than it probally was as watching races from 98 - 2001 i dont remember many bad ones. like coulthard has said "he made even the most boring race sound interesting"

does it matter about laughing. some of the lines are funny & Murray Walker won't mind people laughing at him. but It was because his passion spilt over. which you forgive his shortcomings because of the gold you got from him. he grabbed a race like no one. lets not forget legard 10yrs later didnt notice in the korean GP that someone had been overtaken for 3rd or 4th for 3 laps

these are gold from Murray

the famous Damon Hill one

There's nothing wrong with his car except that it's on fire."

Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are absolutely zero now

the iconic "its happened immediately"

same race. top 1 Murray Walker & bottom 1 James Allen. you cant say that the top 1 when cars where flying off at turn 1 isnt better. as james allen didnt care until it was Hamilton

Last edited:
Dartman I didn’t put that very well, I appreciated Murray’s enthusiasm, but he sometimes spouted rubbish, and when he started screaming that a driver was going to win this GP, probably on lap 15, you just knew he had put the mockers on that poor driver, who would promptly develop a problem, usually terminal, two laps later. That’s when he made me jump up and down. But I found him mostly entertaining and an integral part of the F1 experience. He at least got the adrenaline going, if only because I was raging at him on the TV 😄. James Hunt, I just didn’t like.

Last edited:
Titch, that was the best of Murray, would the driver survive Murray's mocker, we all sat waiting to see if Murray had done it againLOL, as for James Hunt, that was a drivers view, in those enightened days of non PC perhaps the truth hurt , but the world is sadder place nowadays when everyone is afraid to state the glaring facts:whistle:

I've still got a nasty letter Murray Walker wrote to me somewhere. I was 9 years old and very sad because the highlights of the 1990 Australian Grand Prix hadn't recorded on my video tape collection. I wrote a very gushing fan letter about how great I thought be was and how I was sad I didn't have it recorded and did he know a way I could get it. He basically wrote back and told me that or was rude to ask him questions, he was on his holiday and to never write again.

No it was written from him. Handwritten with his signature. Returned my letter in his and you could see he'd blacked out his personal address the BBC had forwarded it on too.

I remember seeing him ignoring a kid of about 8 asking for his autograph at the NEC motorshow thing one year too. I got the impression he was not a big fan of children.

I don't do kids either, had problems with my own when they were really young, and do so now they are in early 40's and late 30's, grand kids are not bad as are approaching 10 and still in awe of age. First approach when needing something is ask parents then ask someone who may help, though back then not many options, internet in its infancy.:dunno:

Last edited:
We were at the Silverstone Classic about 10 years ago having a beer at the central bar area and my wife spotted him walking along. She went over and asked him for an autograph. He told her he was here to do a book signing and that she would have to go and buy the book.

Back
Top Bottom