Most improved drivers since 2010 from Murray Walker

Il_leone

World Champion
For those who haven't seen Murray's latest Q & A on BBC when asked the most improved drivers since 2010 here were his 4 drivers picks not in order of preference

1) Vettel
2) Button

and the more contentious ones

3) Bruno Senna
4) Michael Schumacher

Interesting. I'd certainly agree with the top two. Petrov would have had a claim earlier in the season (perhaps he still does?) Maldonado would be on my list if we compare his year in GP2, but I daresay that's not really the point here. I get a strong feeling that both Toro Rosso drivers have got better, but it's hard to quantify that, obviously.

To be honest, has Vettel actually improved by that much? Apart from one or two stupid mistakes in 2010 it was mainly the car falling apart that kept the championship interesting. This year the car has been bulletproof so Vettel hasn't had any problems. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the guy, I'm just suggesting that the massive points gap is more down to the cars reliability than a big improvement by Seb.

the area where Vettel has improved is he is not making stupid mistakes and tangling with people but it does help when you have a faster car . He's keeping himself out of trouble a lot of the times

the area where Vettel has improved is he is not making stupid mistakes and tangling with people but it does help when you have a faster car . He's keeping himself out of trouble a lot of the times

That might also be the car. There was a lot of speculation about instability in dirty air due to their wobbly bendy front wing.

If someone's improved massively last year, it has to be Schumacher and Petrov in relation to the points scored to their team-mates, and how much they have improved genuinely in races.

Of course Vettel and Button too, but I think the two above have had the most improvement from last year.

Think Trulli has slightly improved on last season, he's much closer to Kovalainen in races and qualifying these days.

Also i think Petrov is the most improved driver from 2010, he's proving to be a bit of a team leader recently. Think his performances this season could well earn him a drive in the Renault seat for 2012.

Petrov on the whole has got the best out of the car, he's proved a lot of people wrong though considering how much he was put in the shade by Kubica in 2010. The true test for him is if he partners Kubica in 2012 although the Kubica of 2012 might not be the same performance level as the Kubica of 2010...

I'm a real fan of Petrov. There is something about his demeanour which I like. He spoke to me in Brussels after Sunday's racing at Spa too. We were in the same restaurant. Really nice chap. Did you know he got Russian Sportsperson of the Year too?

Back
Top Bottom