Monaco GP

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
I thought I'd start a thread about the Monaco GP ahead of this weekends, erm, Monaco GP. :)

I've just watched the extended highlights of the 1982 race on the BBC website. What a race! "And Patrese will win now, without a doubt.." Steady Murray, you don't want to jinx him! What wonderful BBC computer graphics on the credits! As Murray would say, "FANTASTIC!"

And then there's the video of Stirling Moss winning in 1961 - "different world back then, wasn't it. Jumpers for goal posts, hay bales for barriers" - marvellous!

Now, it's just wait until the practice sessions tomorrow.... I can hardly wait! :popcorn:

There is a wonderful shot of Elio De Angelis on the podium in the 1982 race looking very confused because he thought that he had won the race since he actually crossed the line and was still going un like many others. Unfortunatly for Elio he was also a lap down. I don't think any one really knew who had won what that day but there were at least 5 drivers in with a shout at one point including Derek Daly. In any season it would have been an bizarre race but the fact that it happenend in 82 which was without doubt formula ones most bizarre season just adds to the story.

26 drivers finished in the points during 1982! That included 6 past or future World Champions: Rosberg, Prost, Lauda, Piquet, Mansell & Andretti.

I do love the Stirling Moss video, in a Rob Walker Lotus 18, the same car he won the 1960 Monaco GP in. Its like Lewis Hamilton buying up a privateer MP4-23 (except Max would throw him out). No wonder Alberto Ascari managed to throw it in the harbour - where were the barriers? Makes you wonder how any of the poor fools survived F1 at the time!

I still don't think there should be a Monaco GP, but hey, them videos are cool!

All I have to say is Panis...

teabagyokel said:
26 drivers finished in the points during 1982! That included 6 past or future World Champions: Rosberg, Prost, Lauda, Piquet, Mansell & Andretti.

I do love the Stirling Moss video, in a Rob Walker Lotus 18, the same car he won the 1960 Monaco GP in. Its like Lewis Hamilton buying up a privateer MP4-23 (except Max would throw him out). No wonder Alberto Ascari managed to throw it in the harbour - where were the barriers? Makes you wonder how any of the poor fools survived F1 at the time!

I still don't think there should be a Monaco GP, but hey, them videos are cool!

All I have to say is Panis...

Panis punted Eddie Irvine off! Stewards, I want an enquiry! What d'you mean, it's too late...?!

After the practice sessions, it sure is going to be a tight qualifying session on Saturday. I did laugh at Massa, gesticulating at Fizzzy. Massa appeared to slow down, to create a bit of clear track for himself, then Fizzy to pops up & over takes him! Massa was waving, clearly not happy, only for the replay to show the blue flags being waved at him... Mate, you were supposed to give way to Fizzy! :snigger:

The word for Saturday has been designated as "traffic". Anyone want to guess at the total number of times it's said on Saturday?

I think an enquiry into Panisgate would be quite worthy, Coulthard needs that Grand Prix win!

"Traffic" will be the on-circuit word on Saturday, although these words are also applicable:

• "fuel" (low)
    "glamour"
    "harbour"
    "history"
    "facilities" (not as good as circuit X)
    "bl**dy Italian idiots"

One of these I can guarantee will not be uttered by Legard and Brundle, although it is likely to be thought.

Some mates of mine did the guess the word on a geography teacher once... Good times!

By the way "underachievement" won!

Back
Top Bottom