Mini goes rallying - 50 years on

Haven't we known this for ages now??

Its great though and the WRC needs manufacturs badly. Put on a slight side point, I remember when the new rules were announced, seems like ages ago now, wasn't there like alomst everybrand of small hatchback making brand being linked to the WRC. What happened to them?

The new mini has already been seen in privateer hands in portugal. seemed pretty decent. Great to see prodrive back too in WRC as well.

EDIT: Oh FB please tell me that is a real pic of you lol.

Prodrive are building two versions of the car for rallying, the full WRC version that only the works team will use (Kris Meeke and Dani Sordo driving) and a Super 2000-spec version that will be sold to privateers, similar to the old Group N Imprezas and Lancers.

The S2000 car is already out on the stages and competed in the recent Rally Portugal. I think it might even have won an IRC event.

It's great to see more manufacturers taking an interest, though Mini's programme is not as well-funded as the likes of Citroen. Saab and VW are thought likely to make their entrance in the next 18 months or so, which should be terrific (although VW will possibly blow the others out of the water).

VW are indeed returning.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90698
Volkswagen will confirm its 2011 World Rally Championship entry on Thursday May 5 at a press conference in Sardinia.
While the German manufacturer remains tight-lipped on the subject, the agreement was reported to have received the final internal signature required yesterday and the announcement of the firm's first World Rally Championship effort will be made on the eve of Rally d'Italia.
A spokesmen from VW said: "I cannot comment on anything at the moment."

Back
Top Bottom