Mercedes switch focus.

sportsman said:
Speshal said:
Who had the best working KERS last time ;)

Ooooh imagine KERS and an F-Duct that would be nice.

F Ducts are banned in 2011

Its ok, McLaren are going to be moving the duct a little further down the nose and they will be using an O-Duct next year.

sportsman said:
Speshal said:
sportsman said:
Speshal said:
Who had the best working KERS last time ;)

Ooooh imagine KERS and an F-Duct that would be nice.

F Ducts are banned in 2011

I know but just imagine both at once.

I already have.The F duct will be replaced by this.
http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/07/ ... tsman.html

:unsure:

What are the FIA thinking. I can see the benefit of moveable spoilers but it should be down to the driver when and where to use them. I know they are worried if two cars are using the extra speed at the time they will end up cancelling each other out. If the driver has full control over the spoiler there is a higher chance of errors been made when drivers are trying to get the best out of them rather than artificially induced overtaking chances.

All it means is that a car following another car, has no need to attempt to outbrake him to pass.
He simply sits on the other cars tail knowing full well that as soon as they hit he straight he will be gifted a 15kph speed advantage and just drive past the car in front.

I'm all for the teams (read FOTA) trying to come up with innovative solutions, but this one is certainly not a winner. I very much doubt that it will see the light of day, and the drivers I've heard questioned about it have been pretty much opposed to it as well.

With KERS returning they'd be well advised to keep everything else as simple as possible, IMO.

My own view is that if the McLaren pairing of Button and Hamilton were driving the Mercedes, the ranking position would be as the status quo, there is not that much difference between the Merc and the McLaren cars.

Put the Merc pair into the McLaren, where would they be I wonder.

Just why does Schumacher perform so consistently badly compared to Nico, OK a bit rusty, three years out of the car and all that, but hang on a moment, Michael Schumacher is rated by his followers as the greatest of all time, shouldn`t a GOAT be able to comeback further up the rating and at least be able to beat his team-mate. :thinking:

The difference between Merc and McLaren cannot be guessed at.Quite frankly Brawn himself has said that they got it all wrong, and I don't think for one moment that Merc and Mclaren are remotely close.

Quite simply the car is a dog.And whoever drives it might just possibly squeeze a bit more out of it, but nowhere near enough for it to be a serious contender.

My understanding is that the car has the same problem as the Brawn had at the end of last year, in that it doesn't (or can't) warm the tyres properly. Remember from Britain onwards the car slid backwards (as TBY reminded me at the begining of this thread) and it wasn't until the hotter races that the car showed any real pace again.

If the movable rear wing rule does come into effect I think it will be a disaster for F1. Saying this, I agree with G, and doubt we will see it come into effect.

Overtaking should be a skill and not artificial or 'Indy-car' easy, otherwise the excitement is taken out of the racing. We have seen this season that there has been plentiful overtaking, (Australia, Canada etc) but with fantastic skill involved, (Lewis on Rosberg in Australia) I would leave it as it is at this seasons settings, (without the F-Duct).

Sportsman:

Maybe there is some truth in what you say, but fact is the Merc is fourth in the WCC, Rosberg is 7th and Schumacher 9th in the WDC so the car is far from being a dog, in my opinion ;)

ErnieBeccs said:
Sportsman:

Maybe there is some truth in what you say, but fact is the Merc is fourth in the WCC, Rosberg is 7th and Schumacher 9th in the WDC so the car is far from being a dog, in my opinion ;)

It is true that a sense of perspective is needed, Mercedes are going to finish 4th or 5th in the Constructors' Championship and Hungary was their first non score.

They have scored

Bh Au My Ch Es Mc Tu Cd Eu Gb De Hu
18 11 15 16 12 6* 22 8 1 17 6 0

So their form has dipped since Turkey but they are still by-and-large scoring points, and Rosberg is (at the right track) troubling the top orders.

It seems the Merc likes the fast corners of Istanbul and Silverstone though!

*Don't forget Schumi's penalty at Monaco - doesn't say anything about the performance of the car!

Mercedes or rather Ross Brawn has probably tried many variations of CFD generated aerodynamic upgrades and other combinations using the present moncoque.
They have reached the conclusion that the present chassis has fundamental design flaws and there is little point in spending more time on developing it.At best they can only gain insignificant performance.
Ross Brawn is well aware of where the actual problem exists
They will then switch their resources to the 2011 design to maximise next years car.

Ross Brawn
"Brawn conceded the team had not been able to extract the maximum from this year's car, and felt there was no point in continuing to spend time on it.

"There were another set of regulations this year with no refuelling, and one or two other things," he said. "We didn't perhaps hit the sweet spot with the current car, so I don't think we will throw much more resource at it.

"We understand what we need to do next year and that is where we are putting our major efforts."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85836

sportsman said:
They have reached the conclusion that the present chassis has fundamental design flaws and there is little point in spending more time on developing it.At best they can only gain insignificant performance.
Ross Brawn is well aware of where the actual problem exists

Whilst if Mercedes have ambitions to win Championships (which they surely do) their current car is not good enough, it could be much much worse for the men in silver.

Does anyone know anything about the funding provided by Mercedes?

If, as has been stated earlier in the thread, it is to be reduced by 20% for next season this could be a very good reason for spending this year's money on next year's car. I am presuming that there is still a big pot left of this year's funding, otherwise they will be in trouble again next year as the season goes on and upgrades are needed.

Its a valid point.Another point to consider is that in 2011 the FOTA resource restriction will really make itself felt and in season development will be severely curtailed.

Back
Top Bottom