Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

It rather rests on them being able to avoid another pit stop. Massa thought he could and didn't manage it. McLaren might have been in the same position. Anyhow, as I said before, even 5th would have been a fine result considering where they're coming from.

Both Mercedes were fuel saving but would likely have turned the wick up if threatened from behind. And Jenson would only have got close enough to threaten if he'd managed to make the one less pitstop work. If he had managed that, his tyres would have been much older than the Mercedes. So I think without the pitstop drama Jenson would have been 5th, no further.

racecub - Even with older tyres, Jenson would not have been as slow as that Mercedes driven by Lewis, so I would disagree and I tend to think Jenson would have made the one less stop work, but would need to look at a lap chart and the laps they stopped to be sure. I know Jensons hard tyres didn't look too bad before his bodged stop.

There are many opinions on what the issues are, I have a friend who believes that the issue is Aero, I have stated his view already elsewhere.

Incidentally, my understanding of the issues with the car in 2009 were that it was poor in most areas, weight distribution due to the KER's unit, suspension was far too stiff, diffuser was not optimised, and the front wing was poorly developed.

This year, I would hope (note: Hope) that the issues are more contained, they do not have to undersatand weight distribution or KER's and with last years cars data at least they know what good looks like, which they did not know in 2009. The flipside is that this season they will be up against stiffer opposition in the development race, the absence of which I believe flattered their efforts in 2009 somewhat, with the field coming to them at the same time as they were improving.

Interestingly Mclaren didn't look too bad on their tyres in Malaysia as it looked like Button was going to get away with one stop less and Perez nearly did. This could bring them into play far quicker than expected. The noises coming out of Mclaren have changed recently so I think they have an understanding of the problem if not the complete solution.

Where Jenson is concerned its also vital they find the right set up. I expect them to be in the mix sooner rather than later though.

I think that's a little premature and unfair on Perez. He says " Give Perez a really good car and he might shine but to me the ultimate driver is one who can drag performance out of an under performing car" I agree with his view on the ultimate driver, but Perez's experienced team mate isn't renowned for dragging a performance out of an underperforming car either. He also likes a really good car. I guess the difference is that when the car IS good we know Button can do it,the jury's out on Perez. But what Mclaren have done is swapped a driver who can wring the neck of an underperforming car with an inexperienced and relatively untested one , to accompany an experienced driver who also can't wring the neck of an under performing car. They've made their bed...but don't let's blame Perez. .

So, problems identified..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22076363

What the article fails to say is whether they will be fixed for China. They are bringing upgrades, but that doesn't mean they are ones that will fix their issues or whether we have to wait another GP or two for them to be back in the game. I for one hope that they are faster in China and fighting at the front..

McLaren have been saying things like that for the last 5 years at some point or another, the media like to say how good they are at developing the car, but apart from 2009 and possibly 2012, they actually aren't as good as the other top teams

2009 was not indicative, in my opinion.

They managed to keep on the pace in 2007 and 2008.

I cannot help thinking though, that the team seem to be at their best when they are up against it, when they are on top they seem to be looking for ways to put themselves under pressure, which they all too frequently find.

I cannot help thinking though, that the team seem to be at their best when they are up against it, when they are on top they seem to be looking for ways to put themselves under pressure, which they all too frequently find.

Last year being a perfect case in point. Since 2009 I found myself saying 'if only McLaren could produce a car which was fast out of the box instead of constantly playing catch-up'. So what did they do in 2012? Produce a car which is fast out of the box and then proceed to be overtaken only to again find themselves playing catch-up in the second half of the season, throwing both titles away which they could and probably should have won convincingly.

I think the point about Hulkenberg is an old one. I think it became very apparent just a race or two after the announcment.

Sergio is not setting the world alight is he?

Back
Top Bottom