Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

There are little notes next to the years with a bit of explanation. Next to the tear 1982 it's says the normally aspirated cosworth engines were further disadvantaged against the turbos because of the high altitude of Kyalami, but that John Watson went on to fight for the championship!! So they sorted that year out.

I think McLaren's pace was compromised somewhat bythe wet/dry qualifying - didn't Jenson go for a 3 lap stint in Q3? It's still a very interesting statistic though, cinsidering how much closer the modern grid is than it was in the past.

Well, not looking good, but the judgement will be long term, rather than short term.

While I agree in the context of the performance issues of the 2013 car, the operational side of things has been poor for more than just one race and clearly needs addressing. There is the underlying feeling that McLaren aren't the well-oiled machine that they should be, which is strange and hard to fathom from a company who take a great deal of pride in having the writing on all the lighbulbs in their factory facing exactly 35degrees North.

Senna's_right_foot - Can't blame them for that, they certainly need to do something exceptional, just wonder who is going to try something different. My guess would be Jenson as he has had more input and time with the car, but never know with McLaren..

a history of Mclaren poor starts

1992 - overwhelmed by the initial pace of the Williams Renaults designed by Newey in the first two races . Senna suggests to Ron Dennis to bring out the new car MP4/7 which still was not fully ready whilst also taking the old car MP4/6 that lead to titles in 1990 and 1991
That meant Mclaren had 6 cars ! in Brazil . It made no difference and even more humiliating Berger had started from the pitlane two laps down and retired . Senna infamously lead an 11 car train some 40 seconds down after 10 laps on the Williamses and retired in the race.
Mclaren finally caught up by the end of the season but it was too late

1995 - the infamous mid wing car MP4/10 and the noises about signing Mansell despite Ron never rating NIge due to sponsor pressures proved an absolute disaster. Firstly Mansell was too fat for the car which cost £50m . An upgraded Mp4/10B with a wider cockpit did not do much for Mansell who retired embarrassingly blaming the car was undriveable and ended his contract with Mclaren after two races
Whilst Hakkinen ploughed away with getting two podiums but the car once again was never a match for Newey designed Williams Renaults

2004 - in response to the superiority of Ferrari in 2002 Mclaren took a revolution step to develop the Mp4/18 .
Apparently quick M4/18 but fragile meant Kimi raced the whole season in the Mp4/17D - a modified 2002 car which cost him the title as rivals had newer cars.
Mclaren in response bought out the Mp4/19 designed by Newey with the famous antelope nose very early to allow more development.

Seen as the debugged version of MP4/18 - unfortunately Mclaren endured its worst start after 6 races had only 5 points due to engine problems where the car barely lasted 10 laps. A complete revised package was put on the MP4/19 which subsequently was on the pace of the top 3 with KImi scoring 4 podiums 2nd half of season which meant team had momentum for 2005

2009 - MP4/24 car bought out in supposed defence of the drivers title won by Hamilton in 2008. Horribly the car appeared under developed and appeared nearly 2 seconds slower than the teams who had spent 2008 developing their 2009 cars whilst Mclaren were fighting for the drivers title. EJ described it as the worst Mclaren car ever designed with car only scoring 13pts after 9 races

the mid season break allowed Mclaren to develop the car into a front runner with Hamilton scoring tremendous form with 5 podiums in the 8 races whilst retiring from two other potential podiums positions as well boded well for 2010

---------------------------------------------------------

History suggests Mclaren usually will win races by 2nd half of the season but the title fight appears out of the question

McLaren are actually using the following hashtag at the moment:

#BelieveInMcLaren

Might as well be: #PleaseDontGiveUpOnMcLaren

Smacks of desperation and not advisable social PR, in my opinion. I wonder if they are selling as much merchandise this year or if fans are turning away from them.

[Edit] Mis-information about the hashtag. The Pits pointed out that this has been on use for some time.

Completely agree. I don't want to be a complete dooms-sayer and so here is something to put a smile on McLaren fans faces:

What might a TelMex sponsored McLaren look like? A bit like a Marlboro sponsored McLaren perhaps?

McLaren-2015.jpg

I'm fairly sure that McLaren have been using that hashtag since they have been on twitter, although I do agree with the rest of the stuff. I am not sure how new any of the issues are though.

ExtremeNinja - I think the telmex colours are light blue and white, not red and white. The Telmex-backed Grand Am cars are blue and white this season, last season they were red white and blue but the red was due to Target being a secondary sponsor.

Attachments

• grand am.webp
    grand am.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 80
seems like Telmex is going to be the main sponsor which begs the question what if Perez fails to deliver issue ?

Judging by practice they seem to have at least gotten a bit closer to the front men in terms of speed but still stuck where they are/

Any chance of rain on sunday then?

Back
Top Bottom