Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

There is tradition in British Secret Service, which is now almost 80 years old (so the story is being told). The chief undersigns documents on his desk in green ink, and just "C", regardless whether his true and full name is Billy Boy, or Harry Potter.
In that tradition, "I" is my personal modest contribution to this noble place. I am however deeply sadden that the shortcut disturbs gethinceri for some strange reason.
I.

Last edited:
Izumi isn't Italian, just so you know.
Ah do not worry, I've been called worse (as Vettel's fan), when promoted into ministerial ranks responsible for PR; once in Germany 80 years ago, and once in Iraq just recently. Internet is wonderful medium that let people spew anything what's on their tiny minds. To some extend I feel sorry for clinical psychologists, because they must have known about it, whereas before I subscribed on a racing forum, I didn't.
I.

I am not, however I was compared on the forum to someone of that era after I came to defense of Vettel.

I know you've taken some abuse my friend and I'm sorry to know that. The internet is place where some people feel they can abuse others as much as they like. It's wrong and unfair. Thankfully this place isn't like that, which is why being here is such a joy.

For clarification purposes, Izumi and I have known one another for quite a while, he too used to be at gp.com when I, and the other refugees who showed up here last year, used to be.

Thanks Angel for kind words, but enough of that. Looking forward to a new season (and probably some new abuse). Resorting to a cliche, hopes never die (or something like that).

Last edited:
Ahh yes, the fall from the front of the grid to the back can be rapid, the climb back to the front is usually a lot harder sadly.

The question is, can McLaren produce a better car than they did last year? That shouldn't be too hard I wouldn't think, another question is, will Norris show up Sainz and make him wish he'd never gone there? It will be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom