Technical McLaren MP4-27 exhaust vents - legal or illegal?

What does it matter if it iis legal or ilegal? it ain't working is it, I'm sure if the team was miles ahead then there would be rumblings from other teams but as they are not who cares?

Hang on maybe they are sandbagging to hide this :rolleyes: looks to the grassy knoll to see if anyone is lurking with a gun...

What does it matter if it iis legal or ilegal? it ain't working is it, I'm sure if the team was miles ahead then there would be rumblings from other teams but as they are not who cares?

Hang on maybe they are sandbagging to hide this :rolleyes: looks to the grassy knoll to see if anyone is lurking with a gun...

Lewis Hamilton did a 1.19.866 with fuel for at least 13+ laps until the run was interrupted by a red flag for Kobayashi. So a 1.19 ish lap with a fat chunk of fuel onboard...even with a tenth per lap of fuel reduction (conservative estimate) something seems to be working ok... :whistle:

When I said who cares I meant the other teams not the fans what my post means is if the teams saw a big advantage with the system they would put in a protest. nothing more nothing less..

My comments were made from the teams perspective not mine..I care a lot if the macca's aren't on it from the start..

Sometimes I can be a bit cryptic, sorry about that...

Jez, I also put forward the idea earlier that they may be interchangeable for the ease of testing but there's no word on it apart from Whiting saying the exhausts are legal. :givemestrength:

We will see the final solution at the first race I guess!
I agree with you!

I don't think Charlie is going to come out publicly though with xyz is illegal / legal. We really are just guessing and my guess is that everything is legal until scrutineering in oz.

.... my guess is that everything is legal until scrutineering in oz.

Is it likely that Charlie Whiting is going to stop any car racing in Oz when he has had chances to tell the teams that what they are doing is outside the rules? He would be very foolhardy to do so.

Is it likely that Charlie Whiting is going to stop any car racing in Oz when he has had chances to tell the teams that what they are doing is outside the rules? He would be very foolhardy to do so.

No, but that won't stop the race officials banning something in scrutineering, especially if a team lodges a protest.

So am I right in thinking that, in simple terms, the distinction is between the gasses being redirected before or after they have left the exhaust?

I don't understand why it's legal. Doesn't the new rule say that the exhaust must end on top of the chassis? Where Ferrari and Mclaren have exhausts that end downward. So in my eyes it is illegal.

The exhausts must terminate in a defined zone on the bodywork, not necessarily 'on the top'. The tailpipes can point anywhere from slightly outwards to slightly inwards, but must point upwards. Weren't the Ferrari ones pointing downwards?
Here's the full technical regulation.

5.8 Exhaust systems :
5.8.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through exhaust joints (either into or out of the system), no fluids, other than those which emerge from the engine exhaust ports, may be admitted into the engine exhaust system.
5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits, both of which must be rearward facing tailpipes, through which all exhaust gases must pass.
5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐10° to the car centre line when viewed from above the car and between +10° and +30° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Be located between 250mm and 600mm above the reference plane.
c) Be located between 200mm and 500mm from the car centre line.
d) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie 500mm and 1200mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a right circular truncated cone which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel centre line.
Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.

Back
Top Bottom