McLaren given a suspended 3 race ban

Did McLaren receive the correct punishment?

• Total voters
A fair outcome, really.

Coupled with public humiliation for Hamilton and McLaren, loss of points and the resignation of both Dennis and Ryan, it seems more than adequate to me.

“Having regard to the open and honest way in which McLaren Team Principal, Mr Martin Whitmarsh, addressed the WMSC and the change in culture which he made clear has taken place in his organisation, the WMSC decided to suspend the application of the penalty it deems appropriate.

This is the most revealing statement from the hearing and aimed at one specific (and now defunct) individual - perhaps even the only reason for bringing the action.

Is it possible that the "authorities" will leave VMM alone now? Or will VMM trip up again sometime soon, so the ban will be invoked (and possibly increased, depending on the nature of the new offence!)

I agree with your points Jen although I am surprised there wasn't even a 1 race ban or fine.

It's obvious the FIA were sending a less than subtle message to/about Ron Dennis.

It will be interesting to see whether the FIA publish a transcript of Whitmarsh's submission, as they did with the "Spygate" hearings.

Overall I think McLaren have got off lightly, in the context of their previous breaches of 151c. A fine or two race ban would not have seemed inappropriate, to me.

My only concern is that McLaren will be treading on eggshells even more for the rest of the season than they have been already - arguably that was what got them into this mess in the first place (i.e. telling Hamilton to move over for Trulli when there was no need).

I agree with the general feeling that the penalty was correct. I think Jen has it spot on that the public perception of Mclaren and (in this country at least) the perception of Lewis Hamilton have received more of a knock than any penalty applied by the motorsport council.

It's time to draw a line under it and move on. This is turning out to be another great season with many twists and turns yet to come.

I have no doubt that we will see more contraversy before the season is out. :disappointed:

Weren't McLaren arleady serving the latter half of their suspended sentence from 2007?
If so then they can count themselves very fortunate.

I wonder if Mercedes put any pressure on the FIA as Renault did when they escaped punishment for possessing McLaren IP?
It wouldn't surprise me.

One thing that gets me in all of this, is that Trulli still overtook under a safety car. So surely he should be punished for that as from the video you can see that Hamilton doesn't slow down <That> much... i'm slightly confused by this.

Brogan said:
Weren't McLaren arleady serving the latter half of their suspended sentence from 2007?

I'm not sure, at the first hearing they said they would ask McLaren back if more evidence came to light, and obviously it did, but I don't think there was a formal suspended sentence issued.

sobriety said:
One thing that gets me in all of this, is that Trulli still overtook under a safety car. So surely he should be punished for that as from the video you can see that Hamilton doesn't slow down <That> much... i'm slightly confused by this.
Yes, that was discussed at some length here: Should Trulli have been reinstated to 3rd?

From the video it doesn't appear that Hamilton slows as much as Toyota/Trulli claimed but the FIA never released the telemetry so we'll never know.

I think it was fair on the balance of evidence that WE the public know about ;)

As previous mentioned I think there may well have been a lot of behind the scenes negotiating ( e.g. get rid of Ron and say sorry and we won't ban you) - That and Bernie coming out last week and saying that it wouldn't be too bad

GordonMurray said:
Brogan said:

I'm not sure, at the first hearing they said they would ask McLaren back if more evidence came to light, and obviously it did, but I don't think there was a formal suspended sentence issued.
You're right GM.
Scanning through the official document there's no mention of it: WMSC Decision 13.09.07

Brogan said:
GordonMurray said:
Brogan said:

You're right GM.
Scanning through the official document there's no mention of it: WMSC Decision 13.09.07

I agree with the decision here, they've not gone overboard punishing McLaren for an offence that everyone commits at every race. Although it is still a long way too harsh if considered on a consistency basis (Monaco 2006, anyone?) that is more to do with the FIA ridiculously allowing Schumacher to start said race than them over-penalising McLaren. We should now just hope that the suspended sentence is not enacted for something ridiculously minor.

That's two consecutive decisions that have not brought the sport into disrepute whatsoever! Well done FIA, its very good so far!

The DQ in Australia did not need adding to, and a suspended sentence is about right!

couldn't give a flying **** anymore.... the fact is whatever McKLaren do watever rules they break, the FIA are gunna get slated for it.To be fair the theyv'e donr it themselfs with there new authorterion stance they now have and there lack of conistancy in enfocing it, has it happens its was always the most likey thing that was going to happen.

I would like to say now lets get back to the racing, but now we have the medals system over F1's head (and if thats brought in then thats the f1 race ill watch!) and the 30million budget which seems impossible to enforce. Silly things things which are hindring F1 on the track.
I hate beuracy!

Back
Top Bottom