Max Chilton

There has been speculation about this guy potentially being on the F1 grid next season as the 2nd Marussia driver so does this guy deserve to be there on merit or is he a pay per driver ?

Brother of Tom who races in touring cars because he is too tall for F1.
His junior record is not impressive as he was only 4th in British F3 2009 won by his teammate Daniel Ricciardo and 4th in Gp2 this season behind Sauber bound Gutierrez, Razia and Valsechi ( neither of the latter two appear have found drives for 2013)

However he has shown capability now and then to race at the front with wins and podiums occasionally

Before the British press starts hyping this guy as a potential world champion. What is his true potential out of curiousity?

Whilst the accident was Chilton's fault I have sympathy for him as in actual fact he just dropped the car coming in to turn 3 and slud straight into his team mate. If he'd done it on a normal lap he'd have just spun and that would have been it.

Once again we have a driver get a penalty for a driver error which is a worrying president. To me a penalty should be if a driver causes an avoidable accident. That for me was a racing accident. Max's fault and unlucky for Bianchi but thats what racing is.

Actually I agree Max lost control there was nothing he could do to avoid hitting his teammate there was no intent and it was on the first lap plus he has been squeaky clean up until now and generally speaking penalties are not handed out for first lap incidents such as this and so all in all a harsh decision by the stewards in my view not that it will make any difference to his next race..

Last edited:
Yes the lad has been constantly quicker than his highly regarded teammate and people used to call him a joke.

You yourself once called him S***. ;)

He does seem to be quietly gaining a bit of respect doesn't he? Almost Pedro Diniz-esque.

He would prob have sneaked into Q2 but for the red flag in canada quali.

Yes but Mephistopheles has said that about every driver. Chilton has improved with the car; he will never be a driver who just jumps in the car and drives it straight away even if it is poor, but give him a good car and he will make a good go of it.

This afternoon Chilton got to the head of the timesheets five minutes into FP2. Yes, there were other drivers on the circuit, the commentators on the Beeb seemed to miss it although they did say after it was over that it had only been for a few seconds; in point of fact it was at least a minute. He also finished the afternoon session 50 milli-seconds quicker than his well thought of team mate.

Not bad for a pay driver.

Interesting times for Chilton from this point. He's going to have to lead a pretty traumatised team in the next couple of races, and it'll be interesting to see how he comes out of it. I hope Damon Hill is available on the phone somewhere...

Mephistopheles His family or his dad is the chief of AON insurance and they are from Reigate which is a very affluent - middle class area

One other note the Driving simulator place are supporters of Marussia so clearly its because of Max

I only asked because there has been some talk of the Chilton's buying out Marussia and they finance their other son in touring cars, so they must have a few bob knocking around..

Back
Top Bottom