Liberty Media buy F1

There's a direct relationship between the amount of money a regime is prepared to invest, the amount of piss poor human rights records that regime is trying to pretend don't exist and the amount of negative publicity it's likely to generate for the commercial company.

As long as:

Despot regime plus cash is greater than advertising and cash generating revenue minus negative publicity it's a win for the commercial partner.
Money is the root of all evil...the FIA say they were always political impartial which is why they pretend they stick their head in the sand.

One of the European races will be dropped because 23 races its getting to be too many.

How long will Qatar decide they want F1 as well

You mean to say, after all these years from FOM, CVC and Liberty, all it would have taken to get the crowds in and increase viewing figures, is close, competitive racing?

Why didn't someone come up with that sooner?
i know if there only some kind of motorsport forum. that been banging on for years. that all F1 needs is reduce dirty air & have 2 or 3 teams competitive. F1 will be "back"

My gut feeling is that Sky's record audience is still substantially lower than the audience for any race that was ever shown live on BBC or ITV. They conspicuously never publish these figures.
ive heard on social media that it was 2.27m. nowhere near the 5m bbc & itv were getting. but is massive on sky sports thats on a par with a huge super Sunday game

& Netherlands peak figure is the equivalent of getting 12.5m in uk

Last edited:
How did all these people know that it was going to be a good race? Qualifying was good but not that good.
I think it's more the case that people have nothing better to do and there weren't any other conflicting sporting events.

Makes for good promotional stories for Sky and Liberty though.

The proof will be how many tune in after a three week gap for the Chinese GP.

How did all these people know that it was going to be a good race? Qualifying was good but not that good.

I thought qualifying was very entertaining & didnt disappointed. which is all a worry because i build it up so its probally the highest expectations of the season

I think it's more the case that people have nothing better to do and there weren't any other conflicting sporting events.

not really you did have the England game on ITV which would take alot of neutrals over.

but alot of sport is word of mouth these days over social media. like 1 of the great test matches since edgbaston 2005. not many people were watching at 10am. but then when ben stokes was doing his magic, word filters through & you get "something special is happening, need to watch it" that wouldve been Bahrain. neutral expecting a walkover. all of a sudden we have competition & same thing people see it on social media & then get engrossed cant turn it off.

OK, But by "record figures" for Sky we're still only talking 2 million and something.

The Channel 4 highlights show probably pulls similar.

Free to air F1 was attracting between 4 and 6 million.

It seems like a pyrrhic victory if you ask me

Sky will always bid high as their resales to other Sky markets makes it worthwhile globally, providing they profit individual country viewers is not material. Liberty needs to look at global viewing figures for the team sponsors and track adverts to decide where the money is, diminishing audiences and loss of premium sponsors will eventually kill the sport.

i agree cider_and_toast ive said for many years that 6 nations are 1 of the only people with sense in sport. because the reason for 6 nations being huge every year is because the massive reach of terrestrial tv. cricket are learning that lessons 15 years later

but that comes back to Bernie & ruining alot of what he built

because the reason for 6 nations being huge every year is because the massive reach of terrestrial tv

It also helps that the Six Nations is held with a sort of reverence in Wales.

On a totally different note though.Do channel 4 actually release their viewing figures for the highlight show?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom