Liberty Media buy F1

seems its going to back to the old 1pm local times, which is strange because i thought that the later time & their reasoning actually worked

F1 races to start on the hour again in 2021 · RaceFans
For me, this is very good news. I hate starting at random times - so starting on the hour will be a big improvement... What we also need to get back to is starting races at reasonable times - races either need to start at 1pm UK time, or at 17:00 UK time...

i like the idea of saturday sprint races, but they would have to be for the 3rd/test/reserve driver. because it would be a good way to find out how is good & who isnt

Sprint races without The F1 drivers ? How would that be interesting? It would just become part of the already ignored races surrounding the main event.

If we're going to have a sprint race then I'd go for a 1 hour race on Saturday with starting positions at the first GP drawn by lot and there after in reverse world championship order.

The finishing position of the sprint would determine the starting position on Sunday.

I would immediately abolish the DRS system.

Then sit back and watch as all of a sudden teams suddenly figure out how to design a car that A) can closely follow the car ahead without destroying its tyres and B) can actually overtake without a push to pass button.

We've all seen how poorly the leading cars run when they are in traffic. The best cars can't overtake because they don't need to overtake.

I hate adding more gimmicks to F1 as "the powers that be" have done enough damage already but if we have to have them then I feel that taking the focus away from the car design and instead changing the circumstances in which those cars are used is a better option.

you say that but F2 over the last many years had been far more entertaining than F1

Yes but what have F2 races being interesting got to do with making F1 more interesting. Unless you are actually on track at an F1 weekend, you are not going to see what is going on, not on TV coverage.
TV coverage is all about F1 and the drivers . F1 drivers doing sprint races might be interesting, might be fun. It’s the only thing that will interest the TV companies.

Yes but what have F2 races being interesting got to do with making F1 more interesting. Unless you are actually on track at an F1 weekend, you are not going to see what is going on, not on TV coverage.
TV coverage is all about F1 and the drivers . F1 drivers doing sprint races might be interesting, might be fun. It’s the only thing that will interest the TV companies.
you were saying that unless there is F1 drivers no one cares, but F2 is brilliant, very popular & despite having alot of "nobodies"

but i just dont see how it can be for them because it seems it would be stand alone. he said that qualifying wont be touched,

I didn’t say that F2 wasn’t interesting. But the TV companies show even less of it than they do of F1. So it doesn’t help with making F1 exciting. If they put F1 unknowns in the cars for sprint races the TV companies might show them once, and then loose interest.
But I don’t see F1 teams handing their cars over to rookies to trash, just before an F1 race. So unless F1 drivers are going to do sprint races I can’t see it happening or making a difference to the public perception of the sport.

Won't the point of the sprint race to either determine the grid for Sunday or score points in the title races? Not much point in putting the young drivers in the cars in that case.

I’m sure they have a million reasons for introducing them, but the reality is that Liberty are trying to inject some excitement back into F1.

Lots of money spent on that video in order to tell us how long it is and how many left/right turns there are.

You really do wonder if North Korea, Syria and Myanmar were to throw money at Liberty Media whether we would end up with races in those despotic regimes as well.

Probably, all those regimes have a history of non democratic government which is fairly standard in the middle east and Asia, afterall China is on the F1 list so why not the others :whistle: That's the nearest emojis to sarcasm

Last edited:
There's a direct relationship between the amount of money a regime is prepared to invest, the amount of piss poor human rights records that regime is trying to pretend don't exist and the amount of negative publicity it's likely to generate for the commercial company.

As long as:

Despot regime plus cash is greater than advertising and cash generating revenue minus negative publicity it's a win for the commercial partner.

You really do wonder if North Korea, Syria and Myanmar were to throw money at Liberty Media whether we would end up with races in those despotic regimes as well.
absolutely yes. but considering where we have raced & horrors in the country. would North Korea really be that much different.

as i said before on here IOC banned south Africa in 1968 & South Africa were in the sporting wilderness for 70s 80s & early 90s because of apartheid. apart from F1 who waited til 1985 to stop racing in country

I think a Syrian GP could be a bit problematic. It’s mostly been turned into a pile of ruins and rubble

I was actually thinking that even building a track could be problematic. I can see it causing a bit of aggravation.

🥺🥺

Back
Top Bottom