Liberty Media buy F1

well this shows how out of touch toto wolff is. doesnt this new contract that Ferrari has agreed to. removes the veto & stops ridiculous rule that means Ferrari get more money for turning up in Melbourne than Renault, Haas, Williams, Racing point, Alfa Romeo & Toro Rosso get for completing the season

if Ferrari have agreed to that. toto can help f1 have some competition that weve not had since mid 2018

Toto wolff acts as if Mercedes have a huge history of competing as a team in F1.

Whilst Mercedes have made engines since 1994, for the first 10 years or so, they were re-badged Ilmor engines, and have only existed as a team for 11 years (a total of 13 seasons).

Compare that with
  • 70 years for Ferrari
  • 54 years for McLaren
  • 44 years for Williams
  • 23 years for Renault
  • 16 years for Red Bull

I am not a fan of Mr Wolff I think he wants to control the world and lies endlessly in the media. I will point out though that both the FIA and now Liberty Media are very much being led in these matters by two people firmly the Ferrari camp (Jean Todt and Ross Brawn). So whilst we are hearing all about Mercedes being dicks because they want more money it's probable that we aren't hearing that from Ferrari this time because the pot has been made sweeter for them in ways that have not been revealed.

RasputinLives - I think that it’s a bit dubious to describe Brawn as in the Ferrari camp... after all, Brawn’s most recent employment was as team principal at Mercedes GP...

What you mean the team he bought for a quid and sold out for millions? He was very much told after he sold the team that they did not need him so there is no way he has any affiliation with Merc. The Ferrari old guard of the 00's are very much thick as thieves and that connection should not be forgotten.

I'm still baffled by the willingness to embrace Ross Brawn as F1's saviour. His career spanned through Benneton, Ferrari, Honda and Brawn. What have all these teams got in common? They were all either convicted of cheating, proved that they did cheat but no punishment or found 'loopholes' in the rules to win. If you think Brawn isn't only out to feather his own nest then you are sadly mistaken. He is basically Bernie in new clothing.

What you mean the team he bought for a quid and sold out for millions? He was very much told after he sold the team that they did not need him so there is no way he has any affiliation with Merc. The Ferrari old guard of the 00's are very much thick as thieves and that connection should not be forgotten.

I associated Brawn as more of a Schumacher man rather than a Ferrari man... He left Ferrari when Schumacher retired. He recruited Schumacher to drive at Mercedes...

Brawn was also team principal at Mercedes until 2013, at which point he "retired" -

Oh, here's a surprise, Szafnauer (approximate spelling) has now come out publicly to say that Racing Point also think that there is work to be done on the Concorde agreement...

Wow - who could have seen that coming? The Mercedes junior team comes out to support their puppet-masters...

Fair enough... Liberty media should call their bluff... Racing Point only exist for racing - so if they don't sign up to the Concorde agreement, they basically go out of business...

Let's have 8 teams:

Williams
McLaren
Ferrari
Renault
Haas
Alfa RomeoSauber
Red Bull
Alpha TauriMinardi

Each team can run 3 cars (Red Bull will struggle with that, as they only seem to have 1 decent driver). The (already squeezed) income then is only split 8 ways instead of 10. Mercedes are still contracted with Williams and McLaren to provide them with engines until 2025, so they can't just take their ball home, without significant financial penalties... That would be good, as it would give Williams a much-needed financial boost...

well toto was wanting to run 2021 on the same as 2020 but i think they will new deal before 2021 starts

also interesting reading this that qualy modes may be banned under parc ferme conditions. in that you can only use in qualifying what you have available to you in the race

Well technically speaking they have the option to run that engine mode in the race if they wanted but don't as it puts a bit too much strain on the engine.

Anyway, banning this is just another small plaster over a much larger wound.

Isn't Mercedes qually setting the overtake mode in a race, can't remember the number but it is often transmitted when a car is difficult to pass. :whistle:

I'll laugh out loud if it turns out that Merc can run qually mode all race without running out of fuel or blowing the engine, and they've not been doing it in order to keep things sort-of interesting...

Or just have the drivers use it in the race but keep to a lower rev limit via the application of their right boot

F1 has always been that way papering over the cracks. who can forget disaster that was knockout qualifying. shall we do something about dirty air, the babysitting of tyres, unfair money distribution. no we going go to cock around with 1 of the only constant good thing about F1. didnt they get rid turbos because of mclaren McLaren senna prost dominance ??? .

i remember all the attempts to stop ferrari dominance. they got rid of 1 hour qualifying for tv reasons but also to have a 1 lap qualifying where drivers went out in championship order. so that track was at its worst for Schumacher. wasnt the tyre for whole race in 2005 Ferrari related. they changed the scoring system 10-8-6

on a tangent. can you believe we been using this qualifying system now for 14 years & spain will been 274 races . we had schumacher brothers, Pizzonia & Villenueve was racing at the last qualifying that wasnt the current system

. didnt they get rid turbos because of mclaren McLaren senna prost dominance ??? .

Not quite, turbos were Banned as a way of containing the speed of F1 cars - since the engines had reached the point they were producing about 1400 BHP in qualifying.

It was announced In 1987 (before McLaren got their hands on a Honda) that turbos were to be banned in 1989. Ironically, it was this announcement that led (partially) to McLaren being so dominant, as engine manufacturers tried to get ahead of the game by introducing their normally aspirated cars in 1988. (Ford and Judd). Only 12 cars were turbocharged in 1988 - including 2 with Megatron, 2 with Zakspeed, and 2 with Osella engines)..

Back
Top Bottom