Liberty Media buy F1

Well, Liberty really does seem to go with slow incremental changes. An improvement, but still a pretty minor change.

well evolution sometimes is better than revolution as if make too many changes you can upset the fans. just look at VAR in football

true isnt this a leave over from Bernie. old divide & conquer Concorde agreement
Well, rules used to be made by FIA. Now it has turned into a process between the commercial head (was Bernie, now Liberty), the teams (was 6, going to be 10), and FIA. Not sure what the best and most equatable method is, but in the end that Strategy Group was used by Bernie to scrap the budget cap rules the FIA was imposing. The structure is odd regardless.

the liberty media & FOM legal team. are in for interesting Christmas because ive found through twitter. that someone is uploading full F1 races to a certain :censored: website. that i dont have any knowledge of :dunno: but i hear max mosely is an expert on it
IMG_20191204_131314.jpg
IMG_20191204_131321.jpg

some pretty huge off track news in the last hour that 1 of big 3. Sean Bratches is to leave commercial role

Is this really big news? Is his impact really significant? Is he going to be hard to replace (which I gather they are not going to do)? What will not be done now that he is gone?

he is part of the big 3 figureheads that replaced Bernie. & we cant deny that commercial side of liberty is of huge importance to them. so off track it going to be very interesting who they bring in

he is part of the big 3 figureheads that replaced Bernie. & we cant deny that commercial side of liberty is of huge importance to them. so off track it going to be very interesting who they bring in

Well, I am guessing he was competent and professional....and his replacement will be competent and professional.....so unless they bring someone like Bernie back, it is not going a look very different. The question is, as they going to continue their push to expand their market in the U.S. which so far has not accomplished much. As one point Chase Carey was talking about 4 GPs in the U.S. We still only have one.

Screenshot_20200416-195036_Samsung Internet.jpg

1st proposal i think is quite good & been badly needed for coming up for 15 yrs. because increasing budgets were going kill F1 at some point

the 2nd one of restricting how much development you can do depending on where you finished in the championship. not sure im a fan. because of same reason im not a fan of success ballast in the BTCC. i think penalising success is wrong no matter how much i did hate the peak years of ferrari, red bull & Mercedes domination. because the race is to find out who is fastest/best driver of the weekend. not that best driver finished 5th because he was handicapped

according to this ross brawn thinks this has been all but rubber stamped. as they are in final stages of this agreement

im glad because this has been badly needed since last crisis in 2008. that 145m dollars (excluding drivers salaries & other selected items) , should be enough because its works out at about £2.8m to run 1 car for 1 weekend. if thats not enough i worry for their budgeting

excluding drivers salaries & other selected items

So the teams will spin off various departments and make them "self funding". Merc can easily spin off the engine company. Williams have a whole variety of different companies they could use for F1 work to avoid the cap (assuming they can get any sponsorship). Red Bull have an Advanced Technologies division which they can pretend is a separate entity.

Brawn: So Mr Horner, we are going through your budget declaration. The chassis you use, very cheap aren't they?
Horner: Err, yeah, no. Well, the bloke who runs it is a mate so he did them at cost.
Brawn: $1 per chassis?
Horner: Err, yeah, no. For sure, they had some spare carbon fibre left over from another job so knocked them up for us on the side.
Brawn: And the Honda engines, $10?
Horner: Yeah, no, for sure. Oh, they were on buy one, get one free so I should realy have put them down as $5 a go. Sorry 'bout that.

its possible FB because as we know the F1 teams are the kings of the loophole. because if they can they will. & i know the ferrari have already discuss moving some of the staff into main class of WEC

Liberty media is different. i feel that with ross brawn he knows what the teams will be looking for. & liberty media are from America who have plenty of experience with caps in the MLB MLS NFL & NBA. obviously the salaries had to be changed otherwise it going to have the opposite effect & be overrun with paydrivers. But as i saying above we arent asking to go down to slashing levels. we are just going back to manageable levels where the privateers can participate. as they are your loyal people, manufacturers & marketing people can pull out when it suits them leave the wreckage in their wake. this budget cap should be in place after 2008 crisis when 3 manufacturers pulled out left is with 18? cars so for me its 12yrs too late

but what i dont understand on budgets, haven't for a while is that according to figures from motorsport magazine williams won the 1992 world title, with a budget of 32m excluding driver salaries, which is about 67m in todays money. so why have costs more than quadrupled since then because when you look it comparison

engine - 1992 3 a weekend - 2020 3 per season
Gearbox - 1992 3 a weekend - 2020 4 per season
testing - 1992 unlimited - 2020 9 days (2 pre season, in season banned, 1 post season)

so why have costs more than quadrupled since then because when you look it comparison

Simples.

Because they are getting a lot more money than they once did.

Colin Chapman wanted an engine, Keith Duckworth and Mike Costin had the plans, Ford had the money. Chapman negotiated with Ford and gave Cosworth Engineering £100,000 of Ford's money to develop the legendary DFV. That's 2 million pounds in today's world.

The teams will spend what they have. The Dark Lord Bernie made them all very well off and none of them want to change that.

cider_and_toast it is always something that has confused me, I can only go on for 1992 budgets because I can only find the verified budget but that is 67m in todays money considering it was this techniogical marvel & could spend what they like . considering all the cost saving the sport has been doing for 15 years with the grid penalties, yet the more rules body save money the more it spirals out of control.

is that all the 24/7 R&D wind tunnel, & as Christian horner says testing engines & gearboxes for 3 a season costs more than disaposable ones back then

Back
Top Bottom