Liberty Media buy F1

Formula 1 awarded a point for fastest lap starting with their first world championship season in 1950. The point structure was 8-6-4-3-2 (no points for 6th place) and 1 point for fastest lap. This continued through the 1959 season. So it was a Formula 1 tradition for ten years.

NASCAR was founded in 1948. It is possible that FIA in Paris took the idea of the point for fastest lap from a newly founded regional American race car series, but I kind of doubt it.

In a hypothetical scenario I cannot get used to idea that a driver-X will have 256 points (zero speed laps) earned through his race positions, yet a driver-Y with 250 race points and additional 7 speed lap points will win WDC by a point. Seems absurd.

In a hypothetical scenario I cannot get used to idea that a driver-X will have 256 points (zero speed laps) earned through his race positions, yet a driver-Y with 250 race points and additional 7 speed lap points will win WDC by a point. Seems absurd.

why does it seem absurd to you?

F1 is all about speed, in the past reliability had to be rewarded but nowadays reliability is taken for granted and so I think that it's fair to give something to the fastest guy out there. This seems to me to be one of the few smart moves from Liberty, IMHO it would also be great if they awared a point to the pole sitter. Mind you a single point when the 1st gets 25 isn't much, so in order to have some real impact I would award 3 points each to the pole sitter as well as to the guy who sets the fastest lap

Last edited:
I think my (politely put) discontent with the sporting regulation proposal is based perhaps on personal values. I do consider winning of a race as far as I am concerned more genuine expression of skills, luck, speed and all that good stuff which makes a race winner. Mind you, if we speak about speed, fastest from them all is, by default, the race winner after processing given distance in shortest time interval. Pounding a few violet laps and loosing a race is not my cup of coffee, and at debriefing after race shouting should be accompanied by a few swift kicks into suitable places. Pole sitter is already rewarded if not by anything else, but having others behind him. How much more should he get?

BTW, while I am holding your attention for a minute, Ferrari will get involved with the (Netflix, is it?) promotional project, which they initially rejected, so I read, at later date.

Last edited:
BTW, while I am holding your attention for a minute, Ferrari will get involved with the (Netfix, is it?) promotional project, which they initially rejected, so I read, at later date.

good, BTW I have seen on a bit-torrent web site a torrent for 8 episodes of "Formula One Drive to Survive", I wonder if this is the series we are talking about

I've watched the first episode 'Drive To Survive? and found it a bit of a struggle to be honest. It's about 90% of the usual interview clichés, for instance Danny Ric says about 5 times "I truly believe I can be World Champion". Zzzz. Guenther Steiner is fun though.

Last edited:
I like the idea and glad to see its return (like Mercedes and Alfa Romeo returning in F1).....but I gather it has not been approved yet. I also think a point or three for pole would be nice.

With there now being 25 points per race win, then it probably should be 3 points for fastest lap.

I do think if they do approve the 1 point for the fastest lap, they should also do 1 point for pole and maybe 3 points if you get both in the same race? Just an idea.

Based on statistical analyses of past races reward of 25 points for a race winner was - as I understand it - a compromised number which will not let winner to run away from the pack behind him and determine season outcome prematurely, yet gives him sufficient reward for winning a race to make it meaningful.
I am giving up trying to convince anyone that driving an F1 car should be a hard job for which you need both hands, and no mathemathical mimicks should replace a racing with cars which are able to stay side by side, or which allow close follow up without exhaust destroying tires.

I like the idea and glad to see its return (like Mercedes and Alfa Romeo returning in F1).....but I gather it has not been approved yet. I also think a point or three for pole would be nice.

With there now being 25 points per race win, then it probably should be 3 points for fastest lap.
I like the old procedure. One hour limit, have warm lap, qualification lap, and cooling lap. Max 12 laps in all with any tires you want, coming out any time driver wants. No points for fastest lap, just best place on the grid. Leader should be able to choose between clean or dirty side of the track. That's the reward.

As we haven't got a separate thread to comment on the current TV deal shambles, I thought this would be the best place to post this wonderful news from Andrew Benson's blog. I wasn't aware of these restrictions on Channel 4.

Sky has imposed a series of restrictions on C4 in the contract for the highlights races, which will affect both the race coverage itself, and what happens around it.

For example, only 50% of the total running time of C4's programme can now be taken up by the on-track coverage - down from between 60-70% last year. They are not allowed to do interviews in what is known as the 'pen' - where all the drivers are taken to do a round-robin of broadcasters after qualifying and race - or in the pit lane. Any 'pen' interviews they use will have to come from Sky. The amount of interviews C4 can do in the paddock is restricted. And they have been forbidden from doing a 'grid walk'.

None of these restrictions apply to the live British Grand Prix.

Should be fun for those who don't pay Diggers ransom.

RTL Austria are showing the race live and then it is repeated after all the interviews and guff that follows. They seem to have given a slot of five or six hours to continuous F1.

ill see if I can find the interview sky f1 have just done, with ross brawn it was very good, talking about a range of things. appartantly 1 of the main rules In 2021 rules was "if you cant see it why are we spending fortunes on it" he cited the Fuel pump thats very expensive, if we went standard, huge saving & no one would notice a difference

they have confirmed there will be massive change with only 10% downforce not 50% lost behind cars in 2-3 second dirty air & in turn that should help Pirelli with there tyres lasting longer & thermal degradation problem

aerodynamical team that makes 2021 rules will not be disbanded & will work in future to stop loopholes. makes sure teams are keep to the 2021 ideas

how F1 are a victim of there own success, because as its more popular more companies are giving bigger & bigger budgets. but we need to save them from themselves

surprising number of teams interested in joining but not til after 2021, when its stabilized. because at the moment 10 healthy teams are good for the moment & they would have to add something to the show, they want a new team that can be like Haas hit the ground running not Manor Caterham or HRT where they trundled around at the back for 3 - 5 years

Back
Top Bottom