Liberty Media buy F1

having a bad day my friend? True or false my a..., I quoted 3 real individuals all connected with Ferrari who talked about Ferrari's attitude, including the Old Man's attitude towards the Pope. Oh, and on top of that good old Piero Ferrari, the Old Man's very own son, gave an interview saying exactly the same things about his dad's attitude towards the media.

So before talking of "humongous supposing" do some homework my boy, here's the video

before making bold comments it's always wise to check your facts ;)

Who will tell us factual reasons for Ferrari's refusal to follow herd in this latest "news" fiasco, Publius? Where do I find facts to read them for sake of my due diligence? Do you think that extrapolating from public perception who Ferrari is today, or was in the past, and subjective interpretations how they choose to represent their brand could be regarded as "facts"? I beg to differ, and I am sorry, but I am not biting. Having said that, I feel honored that you call my your friend, and for that reason I am not that comfortable to stand on the other side of this argument, but then, I have always done my own thing, and you probably know that after such long time.

Last edited:
RasputinLives thanks at that point where im very rarely youngest in anything, last time was when I was in Fleetwood market killing time before the football & everyone I past was about 40yrs younger than me LOL

I don't think we will ever know why because it will have to come from the teams themselves & even that will be PR spun. so all we have all have rumours & opinions. Ferrari just like privacy & as un fan friendly as that is I understand that because Ferrari have always been like that. but Mercedes are the ones I think are dodgy because under toto are worried that they will lose their public image.

Agree, and as stipulated, consensus probably will not be reached any time soon. I would rather see them spending time on defining and reaching consensus where the series should be 10 years from now, its profile and character, and in that spirit also outline incremental transformation process how the body of triumvirate will get there. That would be right move for me how to spend time instead talking about golden era in the past (which, as you said, actually never existed).

Last edited:
I beg to differ

I think that we have to agree that we disagree on this one.

I still suggest that you look at that video, it's very interesting, and if Piero Ferrari explains (with a smile on his face, because all the people involved agree that the Old Man was a genius in creating a lot of hype around a very small car company on the outskirts of a semi-derelict small town in post-war Italy) how his dad approached the media in order to create the aura surrounding Ferrari that seems to me like a very good starting point when trying to understand how Ferrari goes about portraying itself, to my knowledge Piero is still Ferrari Deputy Chairman

I think that we have to agree that we disagree on this one.

I still suggest that you look at that video, it's very interesting, and if Piero Ferrari explains (with a smile on his face, because all the people involved agree that the Old Man was a genius in creating a lot of hype around a very small car company on the outskirts of a semi-derelict small town in post-war Italy) how his dad approached the media in order to create the aura surrounding Ferrari that seems to me like a very good starting point when trying to understand how Ferrari goes about portraying itself, to my knowledge Piero is still Ferrari Deputy Chairman
OK, I have no problem with that theory, and for me its just a theory, as its proper for a foreigner. I am not Italian, but I love Italy, bear that in mind. (Rather specifically its food, wine, nice things, nice companions, relaxed atmosphere, etc., especially espresso with chocolate in 2 am on terrace in Naples.)

Bear in mind Mercedes AMG is also not involved with that project, and they do not have Mr. Ferrari sitting as Vice Chairman on board. I do not believe on coincidences, hence I rather think both companies probably smell the rat, so they pulled out. Do not forget there is very strong trend in past several years to blame most contentious issues F1 is suffering in diversional manner onto both teams. Add the insidious tone of that article headline and what the guy declared to a reporter, and you get right-away flavor what was in the pipes for them. No one ever heard of him, and he is ready to insult teams like Ferrari and Mercedes letting sport down? Give me a break.

Also I just read the article.

"We don't know what's going to happen" said Carey.

Carry shrugged off concern....

I think you need to look further than the headline. It's an article of speculation by the author and no actually content from Liberty Media at all.

You really need to be careful with online media Izumi. Some have their own agenda.

Isn't it a U-turn by Liberty on hybrid technology? For some time I was under impression they were under pressure from RBR and McLaren, just to name two, to drop it.

well maybe but I remember them talking about 2021 & how they had plans to keep the hybrid technology with ways to save up the hybrid power & like the old KERS deploy when they want. maybe its wouldnt surprise me because they were the 2 teams before they swapped with the 2 worst hybrid engines. I doubt Mercedes were complaining
------------------------
nice to see @fia keeping up the tradition of messing with bits of @F1 that didnt need fixing

F1 set to introduce point for fastest lap in 2019

The article is a wrong regarding Formula E. Formula E also only awards the point for fastest lap for a top 10 finish. They changed it after the Di Grassi / Buemi head to head stuff kicked off.

well maybe but I remember them talking about 2021 & how they had plans to keep the hybrid technology with ways to save up the hybrid power & like the old KERS deploy when they want. maybe its wouldnt surprise me because they were the 2 teams before they swapped with the 2 worst hybrid engines. I doubt Mercedes were complaining
------------------------
nice to see @fia keeping up the tradition of messing with bits of @F1 that didnt need fixing

F1 set to introduce point for fastest lap in 2019
Isn't this another NASCAR invention? It was I think considered many years ago in F1, and then rejected (I forgot reasons). It will be "nice" when someone wins championship not on points earned based on his race positions, but on sum of fastest laps.

How does 1 fastest lap in a race, often totally unnoticed by fans, improves the show? What I am missing? Fast cars do occasionally fast laps, big deal, however some other (slower) drivers on heroic strategy who are stretching limits of a optimal tire life-cycle induces far more tension for fans and please them as they anticipate whether he can finish his run. If there is some satisfaction for fast lap during a race, I am yet to find how to appreciate that. Concepts like reeling-in (Prost), good overtaking (Prost), side-by side racing (Michael/Mika), well, that's my F1.

Last edited:
Liberty Media

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 15.39.03.png

Also Liberty Media.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 15.18.17.png

I may need help from an insider - assuming there is one on the forum - in the matter of intent to impose low spending limits upon teams under forthcoming agreement in F1.
How is the equation of demand on low resources that teams deploys resoved, yet retain hybrid technology. I have limited informed hypothesis what's involved on engioneering side, however it simply doesn't adds up, unless on last moment we will see spending limits imposed not as a blanket global order, but limited only to certain areas of the car, such as aero, chassis, etc. The engine, to make more relevant for future, will require IMO further developments to be smaller, less expensive, more adaptable to various platforms, more efficient, etc.

I've read recently an interview with Mr. Wolff who expressed concerns about his team's future in F1, citing issues of logistics, etc. He did not said that, but I would not be surprised to learn that the path Liberty is charting might played the role. It's not that being frugal is a bad thing, but there are interrelationships between a product made to regulatory guidelines, and its cost. It has to make sense to people involved. David Richards, the chairman of UK motor racing’s governing body (ex BAR man), has warned that Mercedes AMG could pull the plug on if Britain leaves the European Union without a deal. One has to accept that Mr. Wolff is a shareholder in the team, and regardless whether "Leave" group thinks it is just propaganda or not, in contrast, I think Wolff must had some discussion with his partners, and he knows what he is talking about. In specualtive terms, they may adopt BMW strategy and declare incompatibility between company's green vision of the future and cars they make. I can see them in E-series instead.

FiA meanwhile is tendering invitation to join series for another two entrants for total of 12 teams to compete. My first thought about it is, they might need to get in more than 2 new entrants to make up that cluster of 12. My guess would be potentially 4, assuming they let Ferrari go, which is totally plausible situation.

Last edited:
Mercedes are already in Formula E with HWA. It becomes the official works Mercedes team next season. Mr Wolff has been seen at a few E-Prix but then Mrs Wolff is a team boss.

Interestingly the majority of Formula E teams are based in Oxford UK (funny that) and the Merc Formula E team will be based there too. So therefore I'm guessing Formula E teams will experience the same no deal brexBr issues you are predicting too.

As mentioned in former post, there are some internal reconciliation issues pertaining to production and spending limits, which are management issues outside of politics and relevance where the team is located.

Wolff in an interview I saw with him was never secretive with admission about issues surrounding moving operations on the continent. It's pain, and he knows that. Is it worth to them? That remains to be decided. Mercedes will continue for a while where they are if there is some political agreement reached on Brexit issue. With no deal at all situation, said he, will change.

Presence in E-series of course doesn't precludes shutting down F1 operations, so much is obvious, should they decide to do that for whatever reason they might have. I am not familiar with their plans for E-series. VW, BMW and Mercedes formed co-operative group with aim to tackle future in electric cars, AI, etc., and we will need to wait how investments of that kind influence their sporting activities.

Last edited:
Isn't this another NASCAR invention? It was I think considered many years ago in F1, and then rejected (I forgot reasons). It will be "nice" when someone wins championship not on points earned based on his race positions, but on sum of fastest laps.

Formula 1 awarded a point for fastest lap starting with their first world championship season in 1950. The point structure was 8-6-4-3-2 (no points for 6th place) and 1 point for fastest lap. This continued through the 1959 season. So it was a Formula 1 tradition for ten years.

NASCAR was founded in 1948. It is possible that FIA in Paris took the idea of the point for fastest lap from a newly founded regional American race car series, but I kind of doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom