Liberty Media buy F1

Thanks Captain cheerful.

Due to the fact that, as of the now, I have a degree of free will, I simply choose not to watch. It really is that easy. It's also the option that a good number of F1 fans have already chosen.

FB - There's just not enough F1 in existence. If F1 goes pay, it may well reach few enough eyeballs that the sponsorship is not worth the kind of fees that could keep such an expense afloat.
A cricket team doesn't spend millions of pounds on a new aerodynamic bat. You need stadium upkeep, a few bits of wood, a groundsman and helmets to make a cricket match. F1 can never be cheap, this it relies on the largesse of sponsors and manufacturers. These people need TV figures. I, frankly, believe that this sport is struggling to hold on to its core audience and is reacting by exclusivising itself when the opposite of needed.

Pay TV won't negatively affect sponsorship if enough people are engaged with the sport. Liberty Media are confident of engaging more fans, which won't just be through pay TV.

When Sky is the only way to watch F1 in the UK, the stands at Silverstone will still be full.

FB -a new aerodynamic bat.

Batmobile-to-Wiki-by-Zachi-Evenor.jpg

p.s there are ways to watch F1 without paying for sky............... ;)

Last edited:
Sky may end up being the only through the air medium way to watch in English free, but RTL and audio from Five live is an option or the internet is your mate on retransmissionLOL

CTA forum rules specifically prohibit the sharing of illegal streams....

However. If, say, one wanted to install a media player on your PC/Mac/Android/Linux system then, for example, one might go here...

Downloads | Kodi

and then for example if in Kodi, one were to navigate to system > addons, > install from zip file one were to navigate to the location on your system where you saved this zip file.....

plugin.video.SportsDevil-2016-09-09.zip

And from there if one were to open Sports devil, one may or may not be able to watch Sky Sports F1 in HD depending on your connection.

That's a real roundabout route, lots of single click sites, just make sure you have up to date virus, there's some nasty bits, sometimes you may have to change stream at the start

Did you know Liberty Media own Virgin Media. They bought Virgin for 24 Billion in 2013. :blink:

I wonder what this means for Sky's F1 deal come 2024 when their exclusive deal runs out and if indeed it will remain exclusive or if they will sell channel rights to Virgin as they have in the past with other channels.

Most interesting.

One assumes that as they own F1 then they could transmit on free to air, Sky's contract I understand is for pay TV and up to 10 free to air channels, really depends on the legal speak in the contract

Discovery own a majority share in Eurosport and Liberty Global have a 50% share of Discovery's parent All3Media. Part of All3Media in North One Television who are producing Channel 4's F1 coverage.

Liberty Media don't have a broadcasting platform. Now, when you go on to Liberty Global it's a different story. They own Virgin Media, they also have nearly a 10% share holding in ITV.

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

This could be worse than Bernie's organisation.

This is just a load of venture capitalists with companies that do nothing other than owning shares in each other? I may go and live in a yurt.

I just want to watch racing. I sold my soul to Rupert by getting Sky to watch F1, and to be fair the coverage is pretty good, and I subscribe to Superview so I can watch the Aussie V8s online - not a bad service for the cash.

F1 is now just a cash cow for people who already have more cash then they could ever spend, and it right royally naffs me off.

Max Mosley said that if Ecclestone could not get on with the new owners he will walk. Maybe Carey takes notice of what Max says.

Back
Top Bottom