Liberty Media buy F1

I may be a little naive here but what does the amount the teams spend have to do with the commercial rights holder? Unless they want to reduce the amount they pay to the teams to increase the dividends they pay themselves.

I expect a certain short grey haired gentlemen who facilitated the sale gave Liberty the impression they actually run the whole show.

Imagine the scene when they find out they don't.

LOL

I get the idea of Fridays from an engineering point of view, but I wouldn't miss it. I think the only reason for it commercially, is the wake-up call it sends the public - hey look, there's a race this weekend.

As for a sprint race on Saturdays? Maybe they could do something more interesting than qualifying. I would look at cycling and the Omnium for some ideas. How about a reverse grid elimination race? It wouldn't be pure, but it would be fun.

So there would be barely any testing allowed whatsoever? That's not exactly going to help the teams, usually the poorer ones, who 'get it wrong' initially.

And why would viewers prefer to watch two different races on different days? That just sounds like a faff.

I agree that Friday sessions are not the flavour of the month for everyone but some testing/setup time is necessary and I find them interesting.

There has to some form of qualifying and let's face it over the past (or many) seasons it has been the most exciting part of the weekend. There is plenty going on if you are at the circuit and the support races should get more air time than they should, possibly on a separate TV channel?

The race is the race and it is Formula 1. It was never set up to be a sprint or an endurance series, imo some of the races could be closer to the two hour mark but then that's variety. Two hours total for the race with a round up is probably as much as could be hoped for since television seems to be the god of all things.

More use of the internet with live streaming on demand would, I feel sure, increase the viewing numbers.

But I fear that we have jumped out of the fire into the blast furnace.

Over the past few years there's actually been quite a few it'll-never-happen things that have indeed ended up happening. Pat Sumonds back in F1, Kimi back to Ferrari, Alonso back to McLaren under Ron, that quali format you've just alluded to..

Nothing could really surprise anyone all that much after all that...

Friday sessions are a hangover from the 2 day qualifying format but even so, Silverstone still manages to sell out because its a chance to see the cars on track for 3 hours.

Sprint races, hmmm that would only work if cars could dice wheel to wheel for 10 to 15 laps. Under the current regulations, that's not going to happen.

When you think about it, F1 seemed to be at its most popular in the US during the 80's when the cars were huge, fire breathing, 1000hp beasts that either finished or exploded.

Any attempt to appeal to one set of fans will only end up upsetting the majority.

This has got disaster written all over it.

Friday sessions are a hangover from the 2 day qualifying format but even so, Silverstone still manages to sell out because its a chance to see the cars on track for 3 hours.

No doubt race promoters will be given a big discount on their race hosting fees to compensate...LOL

If they did, suddenly this might be a much less popular idea with team principals :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom