Liberty Media buy F1

I sort of disagree that the dip in viewing figures could be because of 'Lewis Hamilton's dip in fortune'. Lewis was in a tight title battle to the end. I'm pretty sure the uncertainty of the result attracts more viewers.

I'm pretty sure even the most hardcore of Lewis fans doesn't think "what Lewis is not a dead on cert to win this? Nah not watching then"

Last edited:
Absolutely, got bugger all to do with Lewis and everything to do with losing free to view.
The problem with only showing half the races on C4 is you won't keep the interested (but not dedicated) fans; because the show times are unpredictable.

I also think the long summer break is bad because it breaks the momentum of the season.

Regarding viewing figures, there's a potentially huge revenue area in between 'free to air' and Sky F1, that I think Liberty will try to tap. Streaming, race-by-race access, reduced ticket prices for GPs (and other live F1 events perhaps?) and a change to the weekend format itself would open up plenty of other avenues to attract fans.

Another angle as to what's been happening in the UK could be down to Champions League football. It moved from Sky Sports to BT Sport a couple of years ago, at the same time (almost if not exactly) as when Moto GP moved to pay-TV, also going to BT Sport. This means that footy fans who are prepared to pay to watch Champions League football are now getting 'free' Moto GP, instead of F1. That, in the UK, will have certainly had a negative impact on F1 viewing figures, and new fans alike.

Edit, just found this, what a joke, I never heard about it: Petition: keep F1 (Formula 1) on free to air television

The FIA and F1 have agreed to rename GP2 to F2 for this season! That was quick!

Also something else occurred to me on this. In his presidential campaign(ha!)Todt stated he'd put in a clear path to F1 within 4 years including bringing back F2. 4 years are nearly up and despite lots of talk there waa nothing set up for F2.....until now! One simple name change and Todt can claim he has achieved his campaign plans. Sums up his presidency really.

Now. What about GP3? Would make sense to change it to F3 but that would piss of Todts mate Gerhard Berger who runs European F3 so I bet he doesn't.

at the moment just based on the testing , liberty media are doing a fantastic job because on social media its like night & day compare to the 2016. amount of clips, onboard laps, interview, facebook live's is fantastic

Don't worry guys, we're in safe hands

The_new_face_of_F1.jpg

Liberty Media signs it's first TV rights deal since buying F1.......it's a continuation of a pay to watch deal in France.

Looks like that's not going to change then :(

Back
Top Bottom