Lewis vs Pastor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webber suggests that it was "probably" Pastor's fault and Chandhok says Pastor should have driven left, further in to the run off area.

I suggest that they were both 'racing' and both believed they were in the right. That is the nature of some racing and I will not support one or the other in this incident.

They were both quite clear Jen and for Webber to say that is astounding.

There was absolutely nothing Hamilton could have done there to avoid being punted. Nothing.

This one's on Maldo and to suggest that it was a racing incident is incorrect. You actually have to be on the circuit to be racing!

Just stop and think about this for a second.

The only criticism I've heard of Hamilton is that "He should have known who he was dealing with", which basically means, jump out of the way because if you don't then Maldonado will wreck you. To me that's not a criticism of Lewis, that's a condemnation of Pastor.

And think about this as well. These results are irrelevant for Maldonado. He's not fighting for any championships. His funding is already secured by a government oil conglomerate. He'll be driving for Williams indefinitely. The man he punted off was the World Championship leader. His future is very much in the air. Each and every result is critical.

If you can't see why Hamilton and his legions of fans feel aggrieved then I really am at a loss for words. He quite possibly lost the World Driver's Championship on Sunday in an incident that was totally unnecessary and completely avoidable by an impatient driver with a penchant for punting people.

Brundle's take on it (and the rest of the race):

Should he have simply yielded to Maldonado? Of course not, every point counts and you never know what might happen to your opponent before the chequered flag.
Did he squeeze Maldonado off the track? No, he left the mandatory car's width in the braking zone and then if your opponent tries to go around the outside of a tight corner he's likely to run out of space, that's perfectly normal. Should Lewis have left more space for Maldonado? Absolutely yes, especially for him given their history together, but the layout of the track there means he couldn't run very far off line as a tight left hander followed immediately. But the bottom line is that Maldonado speared at a sharp angle into the side of Hamilton's car having just recovered from fully off the race track. The throttle pedal works both ways, and this was a particularly stupid accident anyway because he was guaranteed to pass the McLaren any time soon. Apparently Williams had implored him on the radio not to take risks, and he is very lucky not to be carrying a heavy grid penalty to Silverstone.
I have emphasised the oddest part about the whole incident - how Maldonado got away with just a 20 second time penalty is beyond me.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/22058/7842979/Alonso-sails-serenely-through-a-perfect-storm

I'm still waiting for anybody within F1 to give Maldonado even a modicum of credit here. Everyone knows he flat out caused the accident and everyone knows he got off lightly as well. But strangely, the victimized team doesn't seem concerned.

It should be obvious to anyone paying attention for the last 6 years why this is the case.

KekeTheKing. To say that the results are irrelevant for Maldonado is crass and arrogant - he is racing the same as every other bugger on the track and I would have thought better of you than that!

The criticisms we hear are the ones we want to hear and some of those self-same denouncements have been aimed at Hamilton in the past.

KekeTheKing. I don't want to fall out over this and respect your opinion on most things. However, I will not make a call on 'the incident' - they perhaps should have both known better!

Your opinion of Pastor is still too dismissive - he may or may not be the exemplar F1 driver but he is there to win, if he can. The same as all the others and I'm sure Frank would rather have points money than pay money any day of the week.

Re -20second penalty. It looked like he lost steering control by driving over the curb as explained by KC in the second video Keke posted. It is possible the stewards accepted this as mitigation and decided not to come down hard on him although he was barely repentant in his post race interview. It's a joke really. Once guilt was established, the appropriate penalty should've been applied

I have just been viewing Maldanado history etc on the web. It is quite extrordinary...seven years ago people were saying that he had a problem & shouldn't be allowed in F1 etc. He seems to have learned nothing from his very chequered past. I don't think his problem can be cured.....red mist aggression is very dangerous. To put LH in the same category as PM who IMO is a thug, is not right. Drivers should not have to give him right of passage, he is a dangerous arrogant bully.
I have downloaded plenty of info about him & I suggest anyone doubting what he is like ....type in ....Pastor Maldanado Monaco 2005...., when he didn't slow down for yellows and hit a marshall.

My point is it doesn't look as deliberate as did when watching it live but yes he should've been aware of the implications of recklessly placing his car over the curb.

Just stop and think about this for a second.

The only criticism I've heard of Hamilton is that "He should have known who he was dealing with", which basically means, jump out of the way because if you don't then Maldonado will wreck you. To me that's not a criticism of Lewis, that's a condemnation of Pastor.

And think about this as well. These results are irrelevant for Maldonado. He's not fighting for any championships. His funding is already secured by a government oil conglomerate. He'll be driving for Williams indefinitely. The man he punted off was the World Championship leader. His future is very much in the air. Each and every result is critical.

If you can't see why Hamilton and his legions of fans feel aggrieved then I really am at a loss for words. He quite possibly lost the World Driver's Championship on Sunday in an incident that was totally unnecessary and completely unavoidable by an impatient driver with a penchant for punting people.

Keke, Lewis has every right to feel aggrieved, but he wasn't looking at the bigger picture. Lewis is a natural racer, and this can sometimes be a problem. Even "Crofty" said Lewis' tyres were shot before the accident, and he's useless. The "sensible" option for Lewis was to let Maldonado go. The only other drop off of tyre performance as bad as that I can recall was Kimi in China, and there was no way on earth, even in Valencia that he was going to keep Maldonado, Schumacher, Webber, and maybe others, behind him. If he loses the championship by a point or two, he'll regret it.
I think the thumping of the steering wheel was partly that realisation. Of course Maldonado was 100% to blame, but Lewis COULD have avoided it and maybe picked up a few points. The reasoning you give for Pastor doing what he did works in reverse. Lewis should have thought about the championship and let him go at the end of the straight, rather than risking it with Maldonado. Lewis had a lot to lose, Maldonado very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom