Lewis Hamilton - No more Mr Nice Guy?

Wow. I think this has been missed by a lot of people, but how significant is that. Asked to retire and didn't? Never heard of that before. :o

Not quite about retiring, but I remember another time Hamilton was asked to do something and refused - Quali, Hungary 2007 - he had instructions to let Alonso pass and didn't - we all know what happened next.

Perhaps, that is why it has taken him this long to find his voice again. ;)

I remember Alesi refusing to pit once but never someone refusing to retire - to be honest though if the red flag hadn't of happened it would have looked like a pretty silly decision to refuse as that wing would of fallen of and either Lewis or someone else would probably have ended up in a big accident.

But the red flag did happen and Lewis got it fixed and grabbed some points so that was his lucky break for the weekend - how much might those points count for at the end of the season?

Well they did clear the space in the garage for him, he would have got black flagged if he continued, luckily for him and McLaren the safety car was out, and then 2 laps later red flagged.

If that rear wing came off during those laps, I am sure McLaren would have got the blame for not bringing him in, rather than Lewis himself.

We were told in commentray that he would get a black and orange flag, which I am not sure means to come in for repairs, but there was no way they would have repaired that in time as we saw that it took them 5 minutes, which is effectively 3-4 laps around Monaco.

BlackC/151C Black with orange circle A black flag with an orange circle (40 cm in diameter) in the centre informs a driver that their car has a mechanical problem that has the potential to harm themselves or other drivers and they must return to their pit. Shown with car number.

I am actually making a valid point here, where someone actually agrees with me, that if the driver makes the call and it works out he gets the praise, if the driver makes the call and it doesn't work out, I am sure all of you here would be saying it was another of McLaren's poor decisions...

if the driver makes the call and it doesn't work out, I am sure all of you here would be saying it was another of McLaren's poor decisions...

In this case, yeah. If McLaren had pulled him in without being shown the appropriate flag, I would have criticized them no matter what happened. His race would have been over whether he retired on the circuit or came into the pits for a new wing. At that late stage you stay out and see what happens. Lewis finally caught a break here.

McLaren as a team made some real cock ups this weekend. Not just with Lewis but they also cost Jenson the win assuming a safety car when none of the other teams jumped to that conclusion. It was a bad weekend all around.

I'm surprised at consistent efforts of character assassination though. Keke has it spot on in terms of the wing situation. Unless that flag is shown - which it wasn't - then why should he come in? Even if the flag was shown why would there be blame. I'm just not sure what is going on with this thread.

No more Mr Nice Guy is probably a bad choice of phrase and I think, and he knows, he was far too gobby after the race. But somebody that gets criticised for being a PR machine speaks out (not against his team, against other drivers and the stewards) is now not allowed to do that either. He is slammed for not making his own calls and now berated for doing so in the wing situation.

Does he ever do anything that's ok?

In this case, yeah. If McLaren had pulled him in without being shown the appropriate flag, I would have criticized them no matter what happened. His race would have been over whether he retired on the circuit or came into the pits for a new wing. At that late stage you stay out and see what happens. Lewis finally caught a break here.

That's the point; and I would think that Lewis stayed out for that reason, thinking that he was unlikely to get a black & orange flag before the safety car went in. He wasn't to know that the race was about to be suspended but even if the race had been stopped, staying out until called in by Race Control was surely the only sensible course of action.

McLaren as a team made some real cock ups this weekend. Not just with Lewis but they also cost Jenson the win assuming a safety car when none of the other teams jumped to that conclusion. It was a bad weekend all around.

I'm surprised at consistent efforts of character assassination though. Keke has it spot on in terms of the wing situation. Unless that flag is shown - which it wasn't - then why should he come in? Even if the flag was shown why would there be blame. I'm just not sure what is going on with this thread.

No more Mr Nice Guy is probably a bad choice of phrase and I think, and he knows, he was far too gobby after the race. But somebody that gets criticised for being a PR machine speaks out (not against his team, against other drivers and the stewards) is now not allowed to do that either. He is slammed for not making his own calls and now berated for doing so in the wing situation.

I did not berate him at all...and McLaren assuming a safety car was a bad call? I actually think it was quite a valid call due to where Glock had parked his car, Button had to pit anyway due to only being out on the super softs for the whole race, they would have lost track position if they pitted him behind the safety car or after, so in reality it was just bad luck.

To call other drivers stupid, yes, that shouldn't be allowed, that is just insulting other drivers for incidents which he was part of and at least 50% to blame for. I don't remember any driver on the grid calling him stupid when he ran into the back off Raikkonen in Canada.

What I am trying to point out here is that, his fans like himself seem to blame someone else when it's his own fault, if he stayed out due to the wing decision by his own call and got a penalty, McLaren would have got ridiculed when it was the drivers call...

Does he ever do anything that's ok? Why yes...But this was a bad weekend for him, but the excuses keep piling in, if this was another driver they would have got the same amount of criticism, if not more...

I have to say that Hamilton was incredibly lucky that the race was stopped. Had the race been restarted, with his wing in that state, he'd have lasted as far as Ste Devote on the first lap! McLaren, when they requested that LH stop was just acting under the assumption that the race was going to carry on with a restart as normal!

The other issue is that there is precedent of a team actually getting punished MORE for not ordering a driver to stop when they have such a clearly damaged car - see Sebastian Vettel in Australia 2009. Had anything more happened to that rear wing whilst they were running around behind the safety car, it would not just have been a DNF here, but also, likely a grid penalty in Canada!

Fully agree Artist.

I remember thinking at the time if he stayed out and the race was restarted, it was all going to end with some huge smash, with the exit of the tunnel being another possible candidate.

Sly apologies the comment about your gf was a joke. But that aside I'm not entirely sure why you're getting upset about his fans?? Are you forgetting what forum you're on as this one has always been very rational?

Secondly I disagree about Lewis never taking responsibility, he has done several times when it is clear cut his fault. I disagree that he was at fault in the Maldonado clash. I'm not sure about the Massa one although the fact that Massa looked in his mirrors and took the decision to close him off makes Massa equally as culpable.

People at the top of any field of endeavor will be criticized heavily whenever the opportunity presents itself. It's a basic tenet of human achievement. When someone is at (or near) the top, they will be a prime target. When somebody at the top says something even remotely inflammatory, it's bound to cause a storm of rather large proportions.

Back
Top Bottom