Current Lance Stroll

He only signed for Williams a few days ago but there has already been a large amount of discussion about Lance Stroll. It was suggested he needed his own thread so here it is.

Lance Stroll first came on to my own radar when watching the Toyota Racing Series in New Zealand during Jan 2015. Often used as a warm-up for young talent pre-season to get them used to proper car racing its always close racing. Lance was the tender age of 16 and part of the Ferrari young driver program. He was also massively impressive with 10 podiums (4 wins) from 16 races in a car he'd hardly driven and tracks he'd never raced on. He was the eventual champion and I mentally stored him as someone to watch out for. From the Toyota series he went straight into European F3 for the 2015 series and unfortunately I felt like he was dwarfed somewhat by the rest of the field who had more experience than him. He was going up against the likes of Felix Rosenquist, Antonio Giovanazzi and Charles LeClerc who were all older and looked far more impressive. Looking back on it though he didn't actually do too bad. One win, 4 podiums and 5th in the championship is not bad for a 16 year old, also if you look at his results he got stronger and stronger as the season went on which was a sure sign he was learning.

2016 saw Lance take it up a step, he has clearly been dominant in the F3 series and has 14 wins and the title with the series not even being finished yet. It was during this year that I learned something new about Lance. I learnt his father was a billionaire. Why did I learn this? Well he was suddenly being connected to the Williams F1 race seat, apparently due to his father investing heavily in the team. This appears to have been met with considerable vitriol from some quarters who are suggesting he is buying his way into F1 and doesn't deserve the seat. Stroll turned 18 on the 28th October which meant the Martini sponsored Williams team could finally announce him as a driver and within days there were already people writing about nepotism and putting $ in the spelling of his name. All this before he's even turned a wheel. Its a bit of a shame really that a driver who has been so utterly dominant of a highly rated junior series should be labelled a 'pay-driver'. The same people have probably spent the last few years moaning about Williams conservative driver choice in the form of Massa, so you think the promotion of an 18 year old F3 champion would be warmly welcomed.

On the driving front its really hard to know what to expect from Stroll in 2017 due to the fact that we have no idea where the Williams car will be. I have a horrible feeling that Williams are a team in decline and that Stroll is going to suffer for it. I also don't think he'll be quick straight out of the blocks either, which might give the haters an excuse. Stroll's pattern over the last two years is to be paired with a more experienced team mate and gradually learn the ropes and start to shine later in the year. I expect this to be repeated and for him to be out done by Bottas until at least the summer break. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start to get on level terms from then on it. Lets face it, Bottas comes highly rated so if he starts to beat him he's going to gain some kudos.

Lastly I think its great for F1 to have a Canadian back on the grid (Robert Wickens should have got a seat a while back by the way) as its a country that loves the sport and it'll be great for them to have someone to cheer on.

Well according to the Metro the other day Stroll and Massa was considered one of the weakest driver pairings on the grid

Unfortunately when your Dad is well known in the fashion world and a successfully recognised one , the spotlight is always going to be on you to succeed. Just don't compare him to Paris Hilton because at least Lance appears to be genuinely ambitious

I hold judgement on Stroll at the moment. Before he can be judged as badly as Nelson Piquet Jnr who really was treated like fodder by Flavio in order to protect Alonso's ego but then again I blame his Dad for jumping to bed with Flavio to try and get his son an F1 career when you consider Flavio's history with falling out with a lot of drivers and mismanaging very badly especially if they were not his favourite son(s).

I think the fly away races will test Lance immensely but when we get to circuits he is more familiar with he might just outshone Massa.

I understand William's gamble with him because to be fair I don't think they would be that much better off having Wehrlein and Massa's career was going downhill fast.

We got to give stroll time & not go overboard because there are many brilliant drivers some who went on to become world champion or very nearly. who had absoulte stinkers of an opening race or 1st few races
(admittedly mix of my knowledge & research for the later stuff)

Jenson Button - had a nightmare on debut qualified 21st sharing back row with Gaston Mazzacane & his teammate outqualified him by 1.6secs

Romain Grosjean - was terrible at renault in 8 races he only finished on lead lap once on his debut & that was by skin of his teeth. was branded dangerous, first-lap nutcase & banned for a race

Massa - retired from half of the 2002 season. sauber banned him for a race & then dropped him in 2003, i remember people questioning ferrari in 2003, why are you taking massa.

Jody Scheckter - after a crash at 1973 french GP with Fittipaldi, he said "this madman is a menace to himself and everybody else & doesnt belong in F1". Then spun at British GP, taking out half the field & Under pressure from the GPDA, McLaren had to rest their driver for 4 races.

I get the feeling he's no Hamilton, Vettel or Verstappen but could prove to be a stable and consistent driver akin to Bottas. the fact that he could bring funding to a team will probably mean he will be about for quite a few years.

I get the feeling he's no Hamilton, Vettel or Verstappen but could prove to be a stable and consistent driver akin to Bottas. the fact that he could bring funding to a team will probably mean he will be about for quite a few years.
I think his has stepped into F1 too early. He should be in GP3 or F2. If you look at the wheel it is very twitchy, other drivers just don't struggle that much with the wheel, serious problems will arise in Malaysia or places like Bahrain because he will be fatigued half way through the race this way.

COuld someone confirm if Stroll apart from being backed by his Dad. Is also partly the reason Martini are sponsoring Williams

Stroll might end up being a Grosjean where he was a bit wild first before maturing into a top driver

Martini has been with Williams 3 years longer than Stroll has and stopped the team announcing him as a driver until he was 18 to avoid bad publicity. So Whilst not being 100% certain I feel safe in saying there is no link to their involvement at Williams.

Jealousy at core of criticism of F1 graduation - Williams's Stroll

When I first read this I thought he should be careful what you say and just let your driving do your talking to shut critics up. Then when I read it again he mentions people who are not in Formula One who are trying to find excuses why they are not in Formula One

Apart from the media pointing out his Dad is very wealthy , I am trying to remember if any other GP2 driver or F3 driver out there has been critical of Stroll being pushed into F1.

The only person I could think of who might be is Piers Gasly given he drove for the Gp2 team backed by Stroll's Dad and is spending the year racing in Japan instead.

Teamradio L. Stroll: "I got hit!"

Yes Lance, you got hit because you never looked in your left mirror, had you only taken a glance at it, then you would have seen that Perez was beside your side-pod as you close the door on him.

Ya know I had a bet with myself you'd be posting on this and the Palmer thread today. Looks like I won.

Ya know I had a bet with myself you'd be posting on this and the Palmer thread today. Looks like I won.
Well I am not wrong in both cases am I and while I can forgive Stroll because it's his first season and these were very tricky conditions in a twitchy car, it can happen while you are concentrating on not going off into the gravel on lap one. He doesn't have the experience and can't have it at this age.
Palmer on the other hand,..........

Last edited:
His career has not got off on a good start, similar to his race starts, where he has to be slightly more aggressive but I suppose he's building up his confidence.

'Stroll hit me' has been the best TR so far, as Stroll was absolutely faultless, when Sainz slammed into him like a wrecking ball. What a stupid move, wrecked two peoples race.

Back
Top Bottom