Kevin Magnussen

The son of former McLaren Formula One driver Jan Magnussen makes his Formula One debut in the 2014 season. He started his racing career in karting and quickly moved onto more powerful single seaters.
After early success in Danish Formula Ford he was soon competing and winning in Formula Renault 2.0 and Formula 3 before competing in the Formula Renualt 3.5 series and winning the championship in his second year.

As a product of the same driver development program that brought us Lewis Hamilton as well as a strong racing pedigree, Magnussen has become accustomed to winning at all levels of the junior motorsport ranks and will want to continue his success when he makes his debut in March.

This is a lot of ifs and buts I know but if Magnussen can climb in the car and straight away be on the pace then McLaren have to also be thinking how good Vandoorne is who with less experience pretty much matched him in the World Series last year. Could be that McLaren have produced the best young driver system of the all the teams and done it pretty much under the radar. Apparently their young driver programme was run for years by some guy named Whitmarsh, anyone heard of him?

Still we're getting ahead of ourselves. Its the race where I'll be watching Kevin closely. He toned it down last year but before last year he had a tendency to try and win races on lap one which created trouble for himself

RasputinLives
How can we say it would be the best if Magnussen doesn't struggle? Red Bull are comparing the qualities and other attributes of their young drivers to those of Vettel. Both teams are likely to have slightly different standards by which they judge a driver.
And who really knows how good the Toro Rosso drivers were, Alguersuari, Buemi and now Vergne and Ricciardo.

RasputinLives

Mclaren's young driver programme does that include in conjunction with Mercedes which included bringing through Heidfeld, and Zonta into F1

Back to Kevin lets see if he can show better maturity than PErez when going wheel to wheel

So K-Mags dad, Jan Magnusen, has the career best F1 result if 6th which he scored in his very last F1 race for Stewart in Canada.

Whats the chances K-Mag beats his dads best result in his very first Grand Prix?

Yikes I'd forgotten poor old Jan got replaced by the overweight useless dutchmen.

Its prob the reason K-Mag buckled down and worked hard at his driving. He got teased in the playground by the other kids and made it his life mission to erase the shame to the family name.

Lucky for him there are no semi useless dutchmen kicking around on the sidelines trying to get back in F1 now so history will repeat itself........

....hang on......

Whats Van Der Garde doing these days? :)

RasputinLives His dad was labelled " The Best Natural Talent Since Ayrton Senna" by a certain 3 time world champion Sir Jackie Stewart and ended up playing 2nd fiddle to Barrichello at Stewart and complain about lack of testing opportunities therefore not being able to show case his talent

K Mag - the Great Dane could pull it off

Only in that their names are both of Dutch linguistic origin. If you judge a driver's quality by their surname, you might end up with a driver line-up of Bruno Senna and Nelsinho Piquet, and I don't think anyone wants to see that...!

2nd on his debut? Couldn't have gone much better could it?

I'm sure Kevin will have his peaks and troughs through the season but I think this just shows what good promoting real talent who have EARNED their chance by excelling and conquering the junior formula.

Well done Mclaren for being brave enough to take the chance on him and remember to keep doing it - Vandorne is coming up quickly and I think he might end up being even better!

I enjoyed watching Magnussen challenge Button in Australia. Perez did not challenge Button last year on a consistent basis. It is early in the year but this appears good for McLaren.

Lets face it, it wasn't a clean cut second position was it? quali was wet and caught out drivers that would have probably started ahead of him he started 4th and finished second well done, but he didn't overtake anyone for that position Lewis would have been ahead and Danny boy was disqualified Button was faster all weekend and got caught out by yellow flags in quali Bottas would have beaten him and Massa if he hadn't been taken out would have probably beaten him, his true position was probably around 7th or 8th or lower.

Okay the boy did well for his first race but lets not over egg it.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom