Head To Head Jenson Button vs Fernando Alonso

But he didn't win any races when the field got closer and more competitive?
Brawn himself stated they failed to develop the car, he apportioned no blame at all with Button. We should also remember his drive in Brazil to win the title, it was the drive of a true Champion.

I know this is off topic but news broke just over an hour ago in New Zealand. Chris Amon died today in Rotorua Hospital aged 73. He had been fighting cancer, a very sad end for one of the sports truly great drivers, rated as one of the very best by Enzo Ferrari.

Last edited:
That 2009 Season was pretty strange.

Following JB's 6 out of 7 run to start the year, he was outscored by five drivers in the final 10 races.

Final 10 GP of 2009
Vettel - 55 (3 wins)
Barrichello - 42 (2 wins)
Webber - 42 (2 wins)
Hamilton - 40 (2 wins)
Raikkonen - 39 (1 win)
Button - 34

Good thing for Jense the season hadn't been stretched to 20+ races by then.

If Jenson and Fernando had a fight, I think Jenson would win, just, and by default. Neither would land or even throw a punch. There'd be some exasperation from Jenson, and some sniping from Fernando, but the Spaniard would ultimately pull out citing an obscure ankle injury, handing victory to Jenson.

I think.

I always used to underrate Button too but looking back I have no idea why. Look at 2006, his first season alongside Barrichello. Barrichello was fresh off facing Micheal Schumacher in 2005, where he scored 61% of Schumacher's points on a points per race basis (points divided by races without mechanical DNF). Then in 2006 Barrichello faced Button where, on a points per race basis, he scored... 50% of Button's points. Button carried this advantage over Barrichello through into 2007 too, and lets not forget 2005 where he dominated Takuma Sato 37-1 in points. But nobody seemed to notice.

Obviously Button wasn't performing at a near-Schumacher level all of the time, he was outscored by Barrichello in 2008 and didn't beat him all that convincingly in 2009, to name just a couple of obvious examples. But even so.

Going back to Alonso vs. Button, Alonso leads the overall battle 15-9 in qualifying, 8-7 in races and 35-33 in points, although Alonso has suffered more mechanical DNFs and missed 2 races outright.

Last edited:
The 2009 season was a bit odd.

I rationalise it in my head as Jenson at the top of the table needed to be more conservative, whilst Barrichello needed to be a bit more ballsy. Reubens took his chances well especially at Valencia and Monza, and had a strong second half to the season, but after Turkey, in races they both finished, Jenson was still ahead 5 times out of 9, and was ahead at Spa before he got speared. the big difference was those 2 wins, which bumped up his points.

The argument against Button has always been if the car is near perfect he is nearly unbeatable but if the car is off his liking his performance really drops off

2009 2nd half was odd but Brawn did not improve the car significantly and the others caught up and passed them except for Valencia and Monza

The brakes was changed to suit Barrichello which helped upturn Ruben's performance

However Barrchello and Button were the most evenly matched teammate in terms of pace and qualifying although Rubens was a shade faster in quali , I always felt Jenson was much more consistent on race day

In the critical races that mattered Barrichello did not do enough to capitalise in the end

------------------------------------------------

Alonso vs Button

It would be great if both were actually fighting for the title but we are not able to see their true abilities with Honda currently holding them back

Back
Top Bottom