Head To Head Jenson Button vs Fernando Alonso

F1Yorkshire

Avatar for sale to the highest bidder
Contributor
So the line up has finally been confirmed! McLaren's 2015 line up will be made of the 2 former World Champions.

This is not the first time the drivers have been in the same team but it will be the 1st time they have competed against each other in equal machinery. Both drivers have reputations for a smooth style of driving so the car should suit both drivers if they can get the set-up right, luckily for McLaren both drivers also know what it takes to develop a championship winning car, Alonso with Renault & Button with Honda which evolved into the all conquering Brawn GP.

The big question is who will come out on top at McLaren?

The stats speak for themselves:

button-alonso.JPG

Both drivers started in lower teams as well as spending long periods of time in uncompetitive machinery, you could argue that Button had the worst end of the deal whilst in the Honda Earth Dreams period but Alonso built his reputation on putting cars further up the grid than they should be.

Still Alonso's performance was consistently twice as good as Button's has been over the same period. If the 2015 McLaren is competitive then I expect Alonso to come out on top but then again we said the same about Hamilton when he was paired alongside Button for three seasons at McLaren.

It's going to be a very interesting period whatever happens!

Last edited:
I'm a bit curious as to the psychological legacy the events of the past few weeks will have had on Button's mind.... if there is some truth to allegations that both Dennis and Bouiller would rather have had Magnussen in their car had they had their own way, but were opposed by the rest of the shareholders, Jenson might feel a bit under siege psychologically?...

Last edited:
You would have to say, on paper, Alonso should finish ahead of Button. One thing I would hope is that Button will provide more of a challenge than Alonso received from Kimi last season.

Initially, I think the way the season pans out will depend on the reliability of the Honda / McLaren package and which of the two has the fewer mechanical woes.

I though Hamilton finished ahead of Button in two of the three seasons?

Do you have to make every thread about Lewis bloody Hamilton? ;)

Easy win for Alonso but I suspect Button will offer more of a challenge than Kimi did last year so I won't be playing my joker on Fernando in the TMP game for 2015.

I know, I didn't want to post it but it was mentioned twice and it is factually incorrect.
It's akin to saying Hamilton didn't finish ahead of Alonso in 2007.

/offtopic

All things being equal, I would expect Alonso to be ahead in most, if not all, respects.

We shall see.

Tweaked the post to correct the facts, Button did prove everyone wrong though when he performed as well as he did alongside Hamilton so I won't be surprised if Button v Alonso is equally as close.

IF they are allowed to race, it could be a a magical season - although the permission won't always be sought and they will just battle it out anyway.

The 'old boys' are so much more interesting than the youngsters. They have experience, race craft, guts and a desire to win that always tops the 'boy racers' ability to 'go faster'.

Personally I would expect Alonso to come out ahead, with JB pushing him reasonably closely, they both seem to be drivers who respond best to team mates who can really push them.

It will be even better if the car is competitive. I am quite looking forward to it, but not expecting any upsets.

Edit: Except Mephistopheles. He may get a bit upset.

I thought it was funny in the press conference that Alonso positioned himself as the Senna of the McLaren Honda, and Button positioned himself as the Prost. I bet that was something the PR people told them to do.

Alonso said:
“I have never hidden my deep admiration for Ayrton Senna, my favourite driver, my idol on track, my reference. I still remember, as a kid, the posters in my wardrobe, my toy cars in which I dreamed I would one day emulate Ayrton, and the kart that my father built for my older sister, and that I ended up falling in love with. That kart had the livery of one of the most legendary partnerships in the history of Formula 1, McLaren-Honda, the car that Ayrton drove, the same partnership to which I am now honoured to join, to take part in the next Formula 1 world championship.

Button said:
“I admired Ayrton Senna enormously, but, for me, it was the exploits of his McLaren-Honda team-mate Alain Prost that inspired me most as a boy. The way he stroked those beautifully brutal red-and-white cars to grand prix wins and world championships was to my mind poetry in motion, and I have tried to emulate his driving style ever since.

Gotta admit this battle is an enticing prospect. Whether it develops is another thing completely.

Glad that Button gets another year to ply his trade.

Can't wait to see what Honda brings to the track.

Back
Top Bottom