Jarno Trulli

He built up a reputation as a good qualifier in the mid-late 00's. We also had the famous Trulli train back in those days too.

Jarno's one and only win to date came way back in 2004, but IMHO he should have won more races in his career. He was famously dropped by Renault for losing a poduim finish at the French GP in that same season.

Jarno's list of teams include:

Minardi
Prost
Renault
Toyota
Lotus

Jarno also owns his own vineyard out in his home country of Italy..

I've always thought Trulli was a average racing driver and even though i did feel slightly sorry for him when he got publicly sacked by Renault, i've never been given the impression by him that he's ever tried in races to go for that extra point.

What are your opinions on Jarno's F1 career?

Hate was kind of a strong word, dislike would've been better.

But I see what you mean, and I kind of agree, but don't you think having 2 experienced drivers in the team is better than 1? Lotus is ahead of Virgin, at the moment at least, and seem to be moving forward.

Not so much Hate Josh, simply that there are an awful lot of extremely capable young drivers waiting to get into F1 and the likes of Trulli are blocking potential seats without really contributing a great deal to the spectacle. Given Team Lotus don't seem to need pay drivers, in the way HRT and (sadly) Williams do it would be good to see a young charger get the seat rather than some bloke who's best years are very obviously behind him.

Virgin have managed to put a youngster next to an experienced driver, why not Team lotus?

Yet this season he is the lead driver despite the power steering problems. How is he not "really contributing" if he has achieved Lotus highest finish this year twice? For a guy in a decline he is doing quite well since he is beating a driver who some say is "rejuvenated".

His best years may be behind him, but there is no one else on the Market that can do a better job.

This year I find Trulli realising he has lost he has lost interest and is not enjoying doing F1 and is happily accepting his last pay cheque. You notice the tone when he speaks compared to Heikki. I think in qualifying Heikki is thrashing him but they've been closer in races.

However Lotus seems to be happy to keep Jarno for one more season so there must be something left in him..however he's got to ask himself if he is in F1 for the right reasons because when you have about yourself and your motivation goes then maybe its time to quit

one only wonders if Trulli had stayed at Renault for the whole of 2004 or when Toyota did not mess things up

I think Jordan were somewhat masked the abilities of Damon Hill to develop the car as tester..although Trulli really had the measure of Frentzen

Trulli is saying he is not worried about next season but if I were Lotus I would want someone hungrier and one to help the team forward

You listen to Trulli in the interviews and you wonder if he is really enjoying himself or accepting his career is nearing the end

As tweeted by Andrew Benson:
Trulli, with new power steering he's wanted all year, out-qualifies team-mate Kovalainen for only 2nd 2011 time. By 0.537secs. Quite a lap.

Maybe we should believe him (Trulli) when he says the power steering system Lotus used this year has really hurt his style. Hopefully he’ll be able to push the car now (not literally) and have a good final part of the season.

As tweeted by Andrew Benson:
Trulli, with new power steering he's wanted all year, out-qualifies team-mate Kovalainen for only 2nd 2011 time. By 0.537secs. Quite a lap.

Maybe we should believe him (Trulli) when he says the power steering system Lotus used this year has really hurt his style. Hopefully he’ll be able to push the car now (not literally) and have a good final part of the season.

Shouldn't a driver - any driver - be able to adapt to his machine, surely that is a sign of a 'true' champion?

Shouldn't a driver - any driver - be able to adapt to his machine, surely that is a sign of a 'true' champion?
Hmm yes and no. I think they as top level drivers can get 99.99% of any car, but were talking about a few tenths of a second which a driver needs absolute confidence to find plus driving style and preference can make a difference. Take the tyres, Vettel has them worked out better or they suit his natural driving style better than Webbers do.

He had it back

There's only really one line here in Monza - it's not a particularly technical circuit but you need to be extremely precise and with the power steering system we had in Hungary back on the car I'm able to feel my way around the whole lap

I feel sorry for Jarno, I am not a fan of his, but I tend to stick up for him as he gets unfafair criticism. Hes not bad as he's made out to be. Yes he's had a bad season this year, but did you see how rejuvenated the guy was when he eventually got the power steering to his liking? He only had it for a race or two as it had so many problems. He's moaned a lot about power steering, but drivers do tend to moan about a certain aspect of the car that doesn't suit them constantly. He got Lotus' results this season while being poor, he was close on pace to Heikki only qualifying letting him down, and that was without the car to his liking. In 2010 he wad not bad, but he had 10 retirements to Kovalainens 5 and most were mechanical, mainly hydraulics.

Jarno is not a bad, quite underrated. In overall race pace he was much closer to Alonso than Fisichella and Massa, only Lewis was closer. And he was actually beating Alonso by some margin in 2004 until Flavio pulled the strings. He was dominating Glock in Toyota and was faster than Button in Renault.

At Toyota, it was always Jarno getting the results, out-qualifying the car, not surprising that he dropped back in the race when you are surronded by several faster cars and you strategy getting ruined as you have to constantly defend. His drive in Melbourne in 2009 wasn't mentioned at all when he came from dead last starting from the pitlane to finish 3rd, a lot of people did drop out in that race but it was still a good performance. Throughout 2009 it was him getting the car into competitive positions rather than Glock and got punted into at the start in Spa where he should have been in contention for victory, same for Brazil where that hissy fit with Glass man Sutil happened :snigger:

I always enjoyed watching his qualifying laps in the Toyota.

Also found his pre-2010 quite under rated.

Not an amazing driver, but sure isn't as bad as people make him out to be!

I think Jarno had a tough time at and post Renault. My problem, like many drivers, he hasn't known when it's time to hang up his helmet. He could have bowed at gracefully when Toyota pulled the plug and everyone would have thought "Ah, poor Jarno he didn't deserve that". Instead he's been pottering around in the Loturham, whinging about how the power steering isn't too his liking shredding the small reputation he had left as a race driver.

Back
Top Bottom