Jaime Alguersuari

The man who feels like a god when he puts his crash helmet on does not have his own thread and due to the fact we've found out his Godly status I shall write his thread in the approproite style. So please be upstanding for the 10 commandments of Alguersuari.

Thou shall not judge a driver by his age!

He broke the record for the youngest person ever to compete in a Grand Prix when he took part in the 2009 Hungarian GP at the age of 19 years and 125 days. He also won the British F3 Championship at 18. Jaime is not even 22 yet and he already has 40 grand prixs under his belt. As long as he can keep a seat he must be looking at breaking Barrichello's record.

Thou shall judge thy too early!

Like the Phoenix Jaime has shown the potential to reach his best when he's closest to disastor. He did not impress in his first half season for Torro Rosso and despite a 14th in Brazil that year he was seen as somewhat of a moving chicane but after a little dicing with Schumi in Australia and a 9th place in Malaysia the talk had turned round and he was being talked up as a star of the future. Similarly this season it appeared he was about to be dropped and replace by Ricciardo but since then has pulled it out of the bag and has already turned this into his best season ever with 4 points scoring positions and a career high of 7th place at Monza

Thou shall treat me as thy favoured son!

Despite finishing behind his Moose like team-mate in both his previous seasons, Jaime is very much the favoured son at Torro Rosso. Franz Tost especially always speaks very highly of him.

Thou shall not depend on qualifying!

Not always the best qualifier that doesn't seem to matter with Jaime he's scored a points finish 4 times in 2011 having missed Q2 and started 18th. His best qualifying was in Belgium this year of 6th and he didn't get past the first corner.

Thou shall be a little hot headed!

Certainly last year Mr Alguersuari had a tendency to lose his cool when racing wheel to wheel and attempt to take a swipe at the driver who he is wheel to wheel with. The time he banged wheels with Kobyashi in Japan 2010 is a prime example.

Thou shall race with Champions!

Due to Mark Webber being injured Jaime actually took part in the 2008 Race of Champions at Wembley. He went out in the first round after being beaten by NASCAR driver Carl Edwards

Thou shall dance to thy own tune!

A Musical artist in his own right performing under the stage name 'Squire'. He's even DJed in Ibiza. His debut album 'Organic Life' was released on 14th Septemeber 2011. I'm sure you'll all be rushing out to buy it.

Thou shall bow to Pedro De La Rosa!

Still ony Spain's 3rd greatest GP driver but I'm sure he'll change that.

Thou shall please thy money lenders!

Torro Rosso looks as if its going to be bought our by new Arabic investers and renamed Team UAE - the same investers have big links with Spain and therefore that seems to strengthen Jamie's position in the team. Even if that isn't the case the fact that the Hispania team have been taken over by new owners promising a Spanish feel to the team must offer a good fall back point for him.

Thou shall confuse Clip The Apex Members on thy skill level!

I think nearly everyone on here(including me) predicted he'd be gone by the time the British Grand Prix came around after his early start yet back he came. I can't get a handle on how good this guy is and I get the feeling no one else can either - thoughts on Alguersuari? Is he a God who will be worshiped and sit glorious in the heavens or will he be a fallen idol forgotten in the sands of time?

It's also possible that whatever his medical problem was, he's concerned it will affect his performance badly? Whatever the reasons, I wish him luck with his music career. The entertainment industry is tough to do well in, and contracts are every bit as competitive and cutthroat as sports contracts.

For some reason something's just occurred to me about spanish drivers and riders. I kinda remember that when Alguersuari was in F1 he and Alonso didn't quite see eye to eye, and Jaime sescribed Alonso as "cold and unfriendly" (towards him)

But it's just occurred way before that and even way before there was any talk of spanish drivers in F1 there was a long and well-documented history in moto GP and before that 500cc of spanish riders with one recurring theme: they absolutely hated each other's guts. Casey Stoner even once joked about that after having a coming together with a spanish rider (can't remember which) saying "Strange, I'm not spanish so he's not got any reason to hate me?..."

Might be a bit different between Alonso and Sainz as Fernando's a friend of his dad, but I just found myself wondering why spanish drivers and riders who' d normally get on reasonably well with their rivals suddenly get the red mist at the sight of a compatriot?

Last edited:
There is an issue in Spain if you are from Catalunya ( Barcelona region) or Madrid ( Castillian) they have intense rivalry due to Franco and the politics involved. Catalunyan's basically want to form their own state much like Scotland from the rest of the UK.

I believe that might be part of it because which ever area of Spain you come from they seem to hate the other guys from different regions of Spain

When it came to Biaggi and Rossi, Biaggi felt he was not getting the credit for winning 4 250 cc titles in his way to 500cc and the press were talking about Rossi. Then one Rossi fan had a shirt which said " One Rossi is better than 100 Biaggi's" Biaggi really stoked the flames when he actually punched Rossi for passing him on the straight at Suzuka.

Biaggi thought Rossi should give him more respect and told him to " Wash his mouth "before speaking to him

Also Biaggi kept saying Rossi wins because

i) He 's riding a Honda whilst he's on a Yamaha so he switched to a Honda
ii) He's riding a FACTORY Honda whilst he 's on a SATELLITE Honda so he moves to the factory Honda team whilst Rossi moves to Yamaha to prove that it is not just the bike

iii) End result Rossi beats him in a Yamaha whilst he's on a factory Honda which he found was not that much different from his satellite bike and basically his career was finished due to a disappointing season and thrashed by Rossi

I'll reiterate if I did not make clear in my previous thread

With Spanish drivers/ riders/ footballers it depends on which region of Spain you come from because it can be quite tribal between certain Spanish regions.. Castillia, Catalunya , Aragon etc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom