Jaime Alguersuari

The man who feels like a god when he puts his crash helmet on does not have his own thread and due to the fact we've found out his Godly status I shall write his thread in the approproite style. So please be upstanding for the 10 commandments of Alguersuari.

Thou shall not judge a driver by his age!

He broke the record for the youngest person ever to compete in a Grand Prix when he took part in the 2009 Hungarian GP at the age of 19 years and 125 days. He also won the British F3 Championship at 18. Jaime is not even 22 yet and he already has 40 grand prixs under his belt. As long as he can keep a seat he must be looking at breaking Barrichello's record.

Thou shall judge thy too early!

Like the Phoenix Jaime has shown the potential to reach his best when he's closest to disastor. He did not impress in his first half season for Torro Rosso and despite a 14th in Brazil that year he was seen as somewhat of a moving chicane but after a little dicing with Schumi in Australia and a 9th place in Malaysia the talk had turned round and he was being talked up as a star of the future. Similarly this season it appeared he was about to be dropped and replace by Ricciardo but since then has pulled it out of the bag and has already turned this into his best season ever with 4 points scoring positions and a career high of 7th place at Monza

Thou shall treat me as thy favoured son!

Despite finishing behind his Moose like team-mate in both his previous seasons, Jaime is very much the favoured son at Torro Rosso. Franz Tost especially always speaks very highly of him.

Thou shall not depend on qualifying!

Not always the best qualifier that doesn't seem to matter with Jaime he's scored a points finish 4 times in 2011 having missed Q2 and started 18th. His best qualifying was in Belgium this year of 6th and he didn't get past the first corner.

Thou shall be a little hot headed!

Certainly last year Mr Alguersuari had a tendency to lose his cool when racing wheel to wheel and attempt to take a swipe at the driver who he is wheel to wheel with. The time he banged wheels with Kobyashi in Japan 2010 is a prime example.

Thou shall race with Champions!

Due to Mark Webber being injured Jaime actually took part in the 2008 Race of Champions at Wembley. He went out in the first round after being beaten by NASCAR driver Carl Edwards

Thou shall dance to thy own tune!

A Musical artist in his own right performing under the stage name 'Squire'. He's even DJed in Ibiza. His debut album 'Organic Life' was released on 14th Septemeber 2011. I'm sure you'll all be rushing out to buy it.

Thou shall bow to Pedro De La Rosa!

Still ony Spain's 3rd greatest GP driver but I'm sure he'll change that.

Thou shall please thy money lenders!

Torro Rosso looks as if its going to be bought our by new Arabic investers and renamed Team UAE - the same investers have big links with Spain and therefore that seems to strengthen Jamie's position in the team. Even if that isn't the case the fact that the Hispania team have been taken over by new owners promising a Spanish feel to the team must offer a good fall back point for him.

Thou shall confuse Clip The Apex Members on thy skill level!

I think nearly everyone on here(including me) predicted he'd be gone by the time the British Grand Prix came around after his early start yet back he came. I can't get a handle on how good this guy is and I get the feeling no one else can either - thoughts on Alguersuari? Is he a God who will be worshiped and sit glorious in the heavens or will he be a fallen idol forgotten in the sands of time?

Yeah I can def see it happening I just wondered if it had been announced as wouldn't be surprised to see Sauber announce Perez replacement today.

I can see it happening but I can't say I'd be massively chuffed about it.

All quiet on the Alguersauri front. There is still the Force India drive but back when he made the announcement that he'd got a deal in place the whole Hulk/Sauber deal wasn't on the table so couldn't be them.

I wonder who he thought he had a deal with.

He has the Pirelli testing knowledge so he is in the mix, surely. I wouldn't discount force India. Maybe its the other Sauber? We will find out soon enough...

If you read the recent Perez interview we're pretty sure we know who Sauber are gonna announce and it ain't Jamie.

I do think he is in the mix for Force India but I reckon it'll go to Bianch in the end.

Caterham maybe?

Mr Alguersauri seems very upset at the moment having be assured he had a race seat in a 'team that usual scores' and now being told its gone. Has to be Force India doesn't it? The plot thickens.

I always found it weird how he would always make noise and say "I've got good news", "a race seat is definite" something along those lines constantly, yet never seemed to have came across as a serious candidate for any of the seats.

When he replaced Bourdais at STR, he always ran his mouth off about how Bourdais had had his chance and showed he wasn't any kind of potential WDC. The same can be said of Algersauri in spades, as his record wasn't even the equal of Bourdais, IMO.

So the man who claimed driving and F1 car made him feel like a god has hung up his helemt at 25

Alguersuari retires from racing aged 25

Its not mentioned much in the article by Alguersuari blacked out at the end of a Formula E race and the FIA said he had to do a medical before he was allowed back into the car. He never did the medical and therefore his team replaced him. All he talks about here is a lack of motivation.

For a man who was once touted as an amazing talent of the future giving it all up at 25 was not what was expected.

I hope it really has to do with lack of motivation and not something more sinister... it' s always worrying when a driver blacks out with no details being released. :unsure:

I think this is just the downside of the brutal red bull young driver programme. Because they did get too much too young & to have your career over after 2 yrs at age 21 before many greats had even begun senna 24 lauda 22 Prost 25 Schumacher 22 Hamilton 22 Mansell 27

So mustve been hard to taje

Yeah, and Mansell didn't even approach his peak years till he was about 32 anyway... What chance would there be for late developers these days? Well none whatsoever actually but they don't even get into motor racing at all anymore. About 26 used to be an average age to get into F1. Today it's way too late already. Shame. A potentially large pool of talent has been lost.

So maybe the question should be, what is the point of teams getting them as young as possible (and by-passing the junior formulaes) and does it not cause them to burn themselves out younger too?

Back in the eighties there were still plenty of competitive drivers in their late thirties, despite the fact (and this is something drivers of all eras agree on) that cars back then were physically more exhausting to drive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom