Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
9 - i chuffing loved that race. Austria was good but that was final 10 laps. a race as a whole. i haven't enjoyed a dry race as much as that since austria 2019. its nice to see it mean the world to win a race

even the 1st half of the race for me was alright & 5. but it was low bar after spain & spa

Last edited:
Take the two Mercs and Verstappen out, and this is what we have: 8. I have huge doubts about the effectiveness and enforcement of the budget cap, but based on today it's got to be worth a try.

Two races in one with reverse grid start in second one. Can't get better than that, other than adding a sprinkling of rain 10 laps before the end.

And if you think the racing is better without the top 3, why not just watch a junior series. You will get a lot of that type of racing in F2.

what makes F1 is the super teams and super stars which represent the pinnacle of Motorsport. The rest of the field is just average. There is more competition when you exclude the outliers but it isn’t the pinnacle any more. You might as well watch F2.

5. The first half of the race was a Mercedes walkover. It took a Haas car failure and a blunder by Mercedes to make the race better. I’m happy for Pierre Gasly though.

Has to be a 10.

Was it a 10/10 race? Probably not but something quite joyous happened. Add to the fact that Gasly made Red Bull look a bunch of dicks (again) and it was a winning weekend.

I keep telling myself that Minardi now have 2 wins under their belts.

And if you think the racing is better without the top 3, why not just watch a junior series. You will get a lot of that type of racing in F2.

what makes F1 is the super teams and super stars which represent the pinnacle of Motorsport. The rest of the field is just average. There is more competition when you exclude the outliers but it isn’t the pinnacle any more. You might as well watch F2.
So, in the flip side of that argument, why bother having 10 teams?

There are currently two superstar drivers in F1 (Hamilton and Verstappen) and one superstar team (Mercedes).

If everything about F1 is just that then get rid of the other 9 teams. Put Verstappen and Hamilton in a Merc and let them rag around for 2 hours.

Formula One is a class of Motorsport and motorsport is about racing. This weekend put some of the fun back in F1.

The Merc machine can revert to their utter and total domination of the sport next weekend. Let everyone who isn't a fan of that have a brief moment to smile and recall a time when you couldn't always predict the top 3 with any degree of accuracy.

So, in the flip side of that argument, why bother having 10 teams?

There are currently two superstar drivers in F1 (Hamilton and Verstappen) and one superstar team (Mercedes).

If everything about F1 is just that then get rid of the other 9 teams. Put Verstappen and Hamilton in a Merc and let them rag around for 2 hours.

Formula One is a class of Motorsport and motorsport is about racing. This weekend put some of the fun back in F1.

The Merc machine can revert to their utter and total domination of the sport next weekend. Let everyone who isn't a fan of that have a brief moment to smile and recall a time when you couldn't always predict the top 3 with any degree of accuracy.
You need 10 teams to make up the field, traffic plays a major role in the race. One of the fun parts of this race was watching Hamilton cut through the traffic from the back,

I am not arguing against 10 teams or the presence of slower drivers and teams.

I am arguing against this constant push for leveling the teams. I think it goes against the concept of F1 as a pinnacle. Also I think these arguments disrespect the fact that there is also great racing in the midfield which is part of the spectacle. I just don’t see a need to make the midfield the podium which seems to be what a lot of people here want.

Plus there are plenty of series that have that. My favorite of these series is Formula W where all drivers have the same car and from next season the champion won’t be allowed to compete so while Jamie Chadwick may dominate 2021 again, she won’t be allowed to compete in 2022. This model makes sense for junior series, but not for F1.

Your approach though is one from a Merc point of view. What people are calling for is the opportunity for those midfield teams to catch up. The rules as they stand have lead to the last 10 years seeing 4 years of Red Bull Championships followed by 6 consecutive and soon to be 7 consecutive Merc titles.

The only people happy with the last 7 years are Mercedes fans.

I can't think of any other sporting series in the world where there is such a factored in inability for all participants to compete.

Ha, it would seem like it but as always in football, if you take a single match, bottom can still beat top.

I gave it a six. I will only go as high as a nine or ten when we get all the teams throughout the field racing against each other, with no idea of who is going to win.
But this was a fun race , so a generous ( from me ) 6
😄

i get P1 point. as it depends. so many people watch F1 for different reasons whether its technology, sporting excellence. drama/emotion or entertainment. i have a friend where clash on the subject. he doesnt get the romance of the smaller teams & would gladly take 8 red bulls 8 ferraris & 8 mercedes

you want to see the best driver win the title but sport is also entertainment & that for me was entertaining. Hamilton masterclasses at Spain & spa were high level but poor to watch. that 1 race doesnt matter, gasly wont win the world title like how lauda won in 1984, hill 1996 Hakkinen 1999, Hamilton 2008 vettel 2012 & best will win in 2020.

actually interesting chat on the weekend Williams been "forced" out some of sports most memorable moments are about the underdog triumphing, against the odds. might be a British thing as we famously love them. butvery few people will know who won gold at Sydney 2000 100m freestyle. but people know eric the eel. same with eddie the eagle & ski jumping at 1988 Olympics

(feel like ive been waffling sorry)

I have no idea who Eric the eel is ! 🤔 and the sport we watch is called motor racing, not Mercedes demonstrations.
Motor Racing would imply that cars race and teams are competitive.
I no longer care who wins, or is second and third, because we normally know before the lights go green. That’s why yesterday was so entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom