Is my Karting career over before it begins?

J

johnnoble1990

Okay so I'm not going be having a "karting career" due to lack of natural skill. :p But I plan to take it up as a hobby once I leave uni and can do it logistically and financially, but my one concern is the importance of being light. At 6'3 and 11st6lbs-12st I'm going to be a good 3-4 stone heavier than the lightest of competitors. My question is, do most competitions have a minimum weight restriction meaning heavier drivers can compete with the lighter drivers by having lighter Karts - similar to F1 I believe - or am I doomed to be around half a second disadvantaged to some of the field. Also, would fitting into a Kart be difficult too?

Do it, enjoy it, and just do as well as you can. I'm 5'11" and 13 stone 7 lbs, I am UK & Ireland Karting Champion 2011 for my company and I'm very proud of myself because of it (ok, I was the least shit of some very shit drivers but what the heck?).
You'll squeeze into a kart for sure, make sure you don't sacrifice too much student life (pies, beer, late nights etc.) in order to get a couple of tenths quicker.

I can guarantee you that you will dream of some scout watching from the pits asking who that quick kid is and deciding to stick him on a *team name* driver program where you work your way up through the ranks... Probably mid-race.

Try this site:
http://www.gomotorsport.net/en-GB/default.html

As for your weight, If your kart and driver is 10% heavier than average it will be an issue I expect, but if all you want to do is have fun then just hold up the fast guys when they have a bad start and be a general nuisance.

I'm already as light as I'm ever going to get at 6'3. I was just seeing if the rules in most Karting events tried to even this out. Obviously there are advantages to being tall, stronger legs, being able to use your weight for balance, etc.

I can guarantee you that you will dream of some scout watching from the pits asking who that quick kid is and deciding to stick him on a Jack Schitt Racin driver program where you work your way up through the ranks... Probably mid-race.

Hmm, how did you know?

I can guarantee you that you will dream of some scout watching from the pits asking who that quick kid is and deciding to stick him on a *team name* driver program where you work your way up through the ranks... Probably mid-race.

Try this site:
http://www.gomotorsport.net/en-GB/default.html

As for your weight, If your kart and driver is 10% heavier than average it will be an issue I expect, but if all you want to do is have fun then just hold up the fast guys when they have a bad start and be a general nuisance.

Ha. It just sort of sucks that I feel I'll be starting with a disadvantage to some of the jockey sized drivers. I won't be joining any driver programs. :p I have something called essential tremor, which will make it impossible for me to ever be brilliant, but I know I can work around this, whereas I'll have to cut off 5 inches of my legs to work around my height and weight.

Does it have to be Karts? There are other formula's around for people like you, just tune your car, drive it into the track and fool about. Big cars, more power and racing at big circuits. Probably cheaper too, Karts are about £3-6000!

True. I just thought Karts would be a better way to learn. I currently am trying to learn driving techniques using the sim game iRacing. Obviously not exactly the real thing, but I guess it is a good way to learn whilst I haven't got much cash.

True. I just thought Karts would be a better way to learn. I currently am trying to learn driving techniques using the sim game iRacing. Obviously not exactly the real thing, but I guess it is a good way to learn whilst I haven't got much cash.

Try GPL, Sir Jackie said it was harder to drive than the actual '67 cars. If that doesn't get you used to snap oversteer nothing will!

There are all sorts of karting categories from 60 cc mini karts up to the 250 cc superkarts which produce 95 hp have gears and believe it or not have a power to weight ratio of 440 hp per tonne they can corner at nearly 3g and hold the absolute lap record at some circuits.

I think you can find a kart to suit you.

PS

Invest in a rib protector or you wont last long

If you want to go racing, dont get married and definitely don't have kids. That will take all the a) time and b) money that you will need for karting ;)

Back
Top Bottom