Imola 20th Anniversary

The weekend the music died. Sometime before the weekend, when Senna arrived to Italy, he signed a contract with Carraro (http://www.carrarocicli.com/) to manufacture a mountain bike called the "Senna" featuring his famous double S. Senna wanted to be an entrepreneur after retiring from racing and he had a few deals underway. It was not meant to be.

SennasBike_zps1971068e.png

There's a lovely article in one of the editions of Autosport in the weeks following the Imola tragedy by Adam Cooper. He tells the story of how Ratzenberger set himself the aim of at least leading every Japanese Sports Car Championship race in 1991. Everything was going well until the last race, when two TWR Jaguars were entered and claimed the front row. From behind them, Roland was going to have his work cut out to get himself into the lead... so he decided to start a few seconds before the green light!

Just thought I'd remind everyone everyone that there is a very good (and in my view much more balanced) alternative to the Senna movie, the brilliant "Senna: The Right To Win".

Incubus thanks for sharing the link. I'm currently listening the movie (since I'm at work). But I need to sharpen my language skills as portions of the film are in Portuguese ... regardless, great documentary!

I heard yesterday that it could well be that Senna passed out in Tamburello. A good friend of Senna said he would sometimes hold his breath for a lap when under pressure.

You can find it in the 5th part of the Peter Windsor transcript:

From that you can tell Bernie is as cold as ice.

The Prost Vs Senna was a tangible thing it actually existed between the two drivers and overflowed into the fans of each Prost once said "Don't hate me just because you are a fan of Senna." Good words and something that people should take heed of in the false belief that Hamilton and Button have a similar rivalry because they don't, the last true rivalry between drivers I can recall is that of Schumacher Vs Hill, no driver since then has tried purposely taken out his rival rival on track, except for Schumacher on JV but I guess he just thought it was worth a try as he had already gotten away with it once, they weren't bitter rivals in the true sense of the word..

Maldonado on Hamilton?

Last edited:
This is really interesting. A blog post from Betise Assumpcao, Sennas press officer at the time. She was there when Bernie told Ayrton's brother.
http://betisesportsworld.net/2014/05/01/senna-what-bernie-really-said-to-leonardo-senna/
That is incredible. Senna was dead at the side of the track but Bernie lied to the world press so the race wouldn't be stopped. Then announced after the race he died hours later in hospital :o

That level of cold calculation, absence of empathy and emotion is a key trait in psychopaths.

Just yet another reason why I won't miss The Poison Dwarf when he finally leaves F1, hopefully on the way to a cell (but not until he pays more tax ...).

I heard yesterday that it could well be that Senna passed out in Tamburello. A good friend of Senna said he would sometimes hold his breath for a lap when under pressure.

You can find it in the 5th part of the Peter Windsor transcript:

I don't think he did. I read somewhere that according to the telemetry, he managed to cut his speed back from around 300kph to around 200 on that short route from the track to the concrete wall, which would have been impossible without him applying 100% pressure on the brake pedal.

Back
Top Bottom