I Was Just Disobeying Orders

Isn't this what we want...? Racing drivers. :thumbsup:

I don't think he's mad at all - just stifled by the need to adhere to the Corporate Communications Policy. Three WDCs have loosened his tongue a bit, but let's have some characters and rivalries back in F1.
I preferred the days when F1 was rather more inherently dangerous and the drivers had rather more respect for one another. Seb saying that Mark didn't deserve the win makes me very uneasy. It took me 10 or more years to feel comfortable liking Ayrton Senna or Michael Schumacher because they had that tendency to underestimate their rivals. Respect for one's peers should be a prerequisite for a complete racing driver as without it one tends to do and say stupid things.

The impression I get is that Webber couldn't give a stuff about whether his contract is renewed next year or not with RBR.
He isn't the easiest to overtake at the best of times. Actually I'd go as far to say he's one of the toughest, if not the toughest guy out there to overtake without be overtly dangerous in his defence. There's a wise old head on those shoulders. Vettel will have to think very carefully next time he's behind Webber fighting for position of any kind.

I agree on the need for respect snowy . I was intrigued by that comment on Webber not deserving it too. I just wish he had been a bit more specific and less constrained as there is bound to be a lot of people reading all sorts of things into it.

"Mark didn't deserve that. The bottom line is I was racing, I was faster, I passed him, I won."

If Vettel was faster, did Mark deserve to win?

It's starting to come out that Vettel feels that Webber tried to scupper his 2012 showdown with Alonso. If he did do that, I can see why Vettel would be saying now that Webber doesn't deserve the 'gift' of the win 3 weeks ago.

I don't want F1 turning out like my kids primary school where they take it in turns to get certificates of achievement.

Vettels response in China has elevated his lack of respect for his team and teammate to a whole new level. Pure arrogance. Sometimes its better to keep your mouth firmly shut, something else he's yet to learn. He may well find staying with Red Bull in the future is his only option. I don't believe McLaren or Ferrari would allow the team to be run from the cockpit of any one of their cars.

If Vettel was faster, did Mark deserve to win?

Vettel wasn't faster though.

There are standing team orders at Red Bull after the last pit stop, which is why Mark was in cruise mode.

2013-malaysian-gp-lap-times-vettel-webber-png.6210

As he cruised out of the pitlane maybe but he wasn't cruising when he squeezed Vettel against the wall... Webber is talking as much shit as Vettel.

When does "after the last pit stop" start? Whoever has their nose in front as the second car crosses the white line at the pitlane exit? They were pretty much level at the apex of T1 after Webber's pitstop. And, wasn't MW's pit stop a new record?

My view was that Webber let Vettel past in the end anyway as he was getting increasingly dangerous with his overtake attempts.

I can't see that happening again!

Do I think Vettel was faster at that stage? Yes

Do I think that Vettel would have won had Mark not conceeded the position - Probably, but with a 30% that there would have been two Mercedes on the podium with another car...

Do I therefore think Vettel's move is explained by his conflicting rhetoric - Nope, guy's just held his hand up at a moron convention

As he cruised out of the pitlane maybe but he wasn't cruising when he squeezed Vettel against the wall... Webber is talking as much shit as Vettel.
One think I've been wondering is why Webber didn't seem to try to re-take the lead after Vettel was properly in front, if it was that he wouldn't or couldn't.

On team orders Webber turned his engine down. The team instructed Vettel to turn his down too but not as much. Of course he couldn't defend or race Vettel. He had less power. Red Bull have confirmed Vettel hadn't turned his engine down as much as Webber had been instructed to.

They were told to hold their positions, Webber wasn't expecting Vettel to attack him, he assumed Vettel would obey team orders. Not sure why you consider Webbers talking shit as you put it. You can dislike him for whatever reason you chose but you could never question his integrity.

I know, but being in control of the car, Webber was able to turn the engine back up if he wanted to.
The team have all the data and telemetry on the pitwall and are able to monitor the necessary information like tyre performance and especially fuel levels. Webber had driven a fine race and done all he needed knowing if he was still leading after the last pit stop they would finish in that order. Vettel screwed him, it's that simple and the team know it.

The team have all the data and telemetry on the pitwall and are able to monitor the necessary information like tyre performance and especially fuel levels. Webber had driven a fine race and done all he needed knowing if he was still leading after the last pit stop they would finish in that order. Vettel screwed him, it's that simple and the team know it.
All true. All I'm saying is Webber had 11 laps to try to re-pass Vettel in a race he was supposed to win, but he didn't. Which I find odd.

Back
Top Bottom