Hometown stewarding

EvilWhippet - what I am saying is that there is a rule in place to give an attacking car a cars width once they are along side. Alonso was clearly along side and Vettel needed to leave him room. People on this thread have said that Vettel couldn't make the turn any tighter as he was on the limit of his tires grip level. If that was the case the only way he could stay on the leagal side of the new regulation of leaving a cars width was for him to slow down.

I am sayin he should have just given up and let him pass? No. What I am saying is that every driver must follow the same rule book no matter who they are or their championship position.

I acknowledge no rule that forces a driver to slow down and give up his position in a straight fight. F1 is racing, that is not, thus it is irrelevant to F1 and should not be enforced.

You have to race to the rule book. If the only way for you to follow the rules is to slow down (in this case to ensure that you are leaving enough room) then so be it.

I am not saying that this rule leads to the best racing. However, it is there for safety concerns and last week at Spa that is what we all wanted, a safer F1. We can't pick and choose when we want to follow the rules or not. Vettel did not leave enough room for Alonso and was punished accordingly, case closed. The venue, teams and drivers involved should not have any part to do with the stewarding calls (I hope that this was the case this weekend).

As I called for in the Spa debate, we need a standard rule book that is enforced consistently. We don't have that in place yet so we as fans are getting frustrated with these sporadic stewarding calls. Maybe one day we will see this come to fruition. However, I am sure we will still debate the stewarding calls, that's what we do as fans of the sport. C'est la vie.

Monza 2012. The day modern F1 was neutered.

As I've always said in regards to stewarding - shit happens. Only when too much happens do we need to punish anyone, rather than cleaning ever little thing up until we're just watching cars drive around, catch each other and allow each other past sometimes. I can't stand the idea of an F1 in which everything we see as good racing, everything we see as exciting and the very things that got us hooked on the sport go punished.

Two things are needed: Common sense and impartiality. What happens on track is just racing, and racing without racing incidents is Bahrain 2010.

The stewarding as far as I can remember has alway been involved.

Considering this is Monza I think that it being Alonso in a Ferrari had an impact in the penalty for Vettel and that Last year being it Hamilton in a McLaren with Schumacher double and triple blocking him had an impact in the lack of a penalty.

But the stewards will always be inconsistent, I still don't see why we can't have the same stewards all year long.

Permanent stewards works in theory. Not in reality.

What happens when they get multiple calls wrong in one go? There would be outcrys for them to be replaced. Permanent stewards are also still open to pressure from anyone who might place it upon them.

Stewards will never always make the correct decision. They are human beings like the rest of us, they make mistakes. Not to mention the stewards also judge people conciously and sub-conciously which means that their decisions are partially driven by their opinions and not just the circumstances of the event.

Here's an idea... how about the stewards are in a closed-off room during the sessions. When an incident happens it is put into CGI (similar to Hawkeye) with both cars in the simulation using the same model with no characrteristics to determine which drivers are involved in the incident. This would at least stop them from making biased decision however there would be drawbacks to this strategy such as not being able to hear a drivers radio feed.

I thought Charlie Whiting's opinion was very influential but ultimately it was just that, an opinion which could be overruled. I seem to remember him saying he thought something was ok but then the stewards disagreed... can't remember what it was about though! :thinking:

I thought Charlie Whiting's opinion was very influential but ultimately it was just that, an opinion which could be overruled. I seem to remember him saying he thought something was ok but then the stewards disagreed... can't remember what it was about though! :thinking:

I’d imagine it was during the days when Max used to send Alan Donnelly to do his dirty work for him. Things have moved on a lot since. When Alonso passed Kubica off the circuit at Silverstone a few seasons ago and the stewards intervened, Charlie instructed that there will be no punishment if he gave the place back. His influence was curtailed a few years ago but this shouldn’t be the case now. If we are going to solve the problem we have to start with the old guard.

Here's an idea... how about the stewards are in a closed-off room during the sessions. When an incident happens it is put into CGI (similar to Hawkeye) with both cars in the simulation using the same model with no characrteristics to determine which drivers are involved in the incident. This would at least stop them from making biased decision however there would be drawbacks to this strategy such as not being able to hear a drivers radio feed.

This I like a lot.

tumblr_ma4mo3IQEU1r8kneko1_1280.jpg

From that I'd say they are both in the same starting position (Alonso 2011 and Vettel 2012) but Vettel certainly moves over more

It seems that Alonso had more speed because he was already alongside Vettel midway through the corner while Vettel wasn't alongside until a lot further around

Back
Top Bottom