Hockenheimring Highlight Thread

KekeTheKing

Banned
Supporter
It's been a while since I created one of these Highlight threads, but I watched a couple races at Old Hockenheim the other day and I thought I'd share some of the highlights.

Prost takes the lead from Mansell

Prost makes his pit stop (Spoiler: McLaren have a jack issue)

Johannson brings it home in P2 on 3 wheels

Piquet gives Prost a lift back in

James rips Alliot for inconsiderate driving

Mansell goes off and retires

Senna takes the lead from Nannini late in the race

... Yes, I always thought that Mansell move was a little bit naughty - certainly he wouldn't get away with that nowadays.... However, Senna's defensive driving was a little robust as well.... There were a few occasions where you could count at least 2 moves, if not three!

.... only 1 year earlier, the president of the FIA had said that anyone doing exactly what Mansell did would be breaking the rules.... Still, I suppose JMB had been deposed, and the sanity of Max Mosley reigned!

First lap in 1993, and probably among the daftest penalties ever imposed on anyone.

Prost has a poor getwaway, goes into battle with Senna at the first chichane, Ayrton spins, Alain is then forced into taking evasive action to avoid being hit by the spinning Brundle behind him, and the both promptly get stop-and-go penalties for cutting the chicane by then-race director Roland Bruynserade.

As Martin told Roland after the race: "Roland, I SPUN down the bloody escape road".

Watching the footage from the 1986-87 period it's funny to see the way the TAG engine, by then outclassed by the Honda's raw power, suddenly looked a lot punchier when the German GP came up.
Almost as if Porsche, whose HQ were in all sorts of difficulty, were still making a special effort in front of their public and provided the TAG with a little bit extra.

Incubus ... they wound up those rubber bands extra tight for Germany .... no fuel flow metered limits to adhere to back then ... ;)

I'm sure everybody remembers Vitantonio Liuzzi's shunt in Q1 of 2010 Hockenheim Qualifying :), but did you remember that Timo Glock was nearly hit by his errant wheel? Those Virgin/Marussia cars are magnets for flying rubber evidently.

I'm sure everybody remembers Vitantonio Liuzzi's shunt in Q1 of 2010 Hockenheim Qualifying :), but did you remember that Timo Glock was nearly hit by his errant wheel? Those Virgin/Marussia cars are magnets for flying rubber evidently.

I didn't remember, although it's a little funny to see Glock to get nearly involved with the accident, as he crashed in nearly the same way two years earlier. Luckily the wheel didn't get airborne.

Back
Top Bottom