"He's the one who's able to clinch a championship with a car that's not the best"

tranquility2k9

Podium Finisher
Quite remarkable admission and comments from Alonso for Lewis Hamilton. They certainly have a huge respect for each other and rightly so. 2007 was a fascinating season and will surely go down in history not just for the political sagas but also for the rivalry of two great world champions of their era.

Check out what Alonso said about Hamilton and his reaction to it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15701489.stm

Wonder what Vettel thinks ;)

Like most things, Seb will probably remember this and prove it wrong at some point (should it be necessary). Like the myth that he can't overtake, perhaps? He is not giving himself much of a chance against yardsticks like this;)

To be fair though both Hamilton and Alonso have concrete evidence of being able to challenge for or win races and world championships when not having the fastest car, whereas, due to Vettel having the fastest car for the last 2.5 seasons, he does not have this sort of evidence.

In 2008, Hamilton won the world championship in what was at very least a slightly slower car than the Ferrari or at least that is the general perception. Alonso also won a race in Japan, in his Renault, which was quite astonishing at the time. In 2009, as soon as Lewis had a car that was anywhere near capable of winning, i.e. Hungary, he won the race and by quite some margin.

I know a lot of people may not share this perception but I think in 2010 Hamilton's performance was quite remarkable. Alonso's 2nd half comeback was also remarkable but he did make quite a few uncharacteristic errors in the first half of the season (similar to that which Hamilton has in 2011). But in 2010 Hamilton would have somehow won the world championship in a car that was never really as fast as the Red Bull and that was without doubt slower than the Ferrari for the first and latter part of the season. This was obviously partly down to Vettel having such bad luck but also, Hamilton lost 18 points in Barcelona, which would have changed the outcome of the world championship in itself. He lost another 12-15 points in Hungary through a gearbox failure. He also was very unlucky in Singapore. I cannot remember any other major mistake than what happened at Monza, but suffice to say, he was my driver on the season personally.

Some of his performances, notably at China, Spain, Canada, Silverstone and Spa, even though he didn't win all of them were truly on another level and even those races he won, he didn't necessarily have the fastest car.

Vettel may well be able to put up the same sort of challange that Alonso and Hamilton can for the title in what is not the fastest car, but as of yet, there is no evidence and therefore Alonso is right in narrowing out himself and Hamilton.

I know everyone will say, look at Vettel's win at Monza 2008, but this was in the rain and the rain always brings unpredictable results - I am not taking anything away from that win but it does not give enough evidence.

Interesting statement of respect from the proud Spaniard. Stating the fact that he and Lewis are proven in that respect whereas the 'regulation car kids' Button in 2009 and Vettel in 2010, 2011 are not

Contrast with Whitmarsh gleefully stating that Lewis is somehow unhinged by the fact that Button is driving a good car well.

To be fair though both Hamilton and Alonso have concrete evidence of being able to challenge for or win races and world championships when not having the fastest car, whereas, due to Vettel having the fastest car for the last 2.5 seasons, he does not have this sort of evidence.

I would really like Vettel to have driven an obviously inferior or just about equal car to the WDC. To date this has not happened...but then again...when has it happened in recent memory? Mika's first championship?

I thought Hakkinen had the better car in 1998.

Cars that where quite equal where probably the McLaren and Ferrari's from 2007-2008, but the McLaren slightly better in '07, but the Ferrari slighly better in '08. (although they where a lot of colder conditions which favoured McLaren more).

I thought Hakkinen had the better car in 1998.

Cars that where quite equal where probably the McLaren and Ferrari's from 2007-2008, but the McLaren slightly better in '07, but the Ferrari slighly better in '08.

Sorry have the years mixed up. The 99 season was much harder for the McLaren car.

I think it is without doubt that Lewis won the title in an inferior car in 2008. He basically won most of his races in chaos (Australia) or rain (GB, Monaco). I think there was only one time that year the McLaren was easily better than the Ferrari - at Hockenheim - and Lewis was awesome. Ferrari won the 'normal' races (Malaysia, Spain, Magny-Cours etc.) and the three surprise wins (Italy, Singapore, Japan) were enough to keep the points down.

However, it has to be said that Alonso did a great job winning the Drivers' Title in 2006 against a pretty damn fast Ferrari, and that they won the Constructors' Title too just underlines his great job.

I think Vettel has made the Red Bull look better than it is, but I think we have two drivers with proof of their ability in the second fastest car.

To be honest, it may be intended to unsettle Button, but I can't see what it would do to Vettel.

More likely he's decided who's side he's on with the Massa/Hamilton feud and wants to encourage Ferrari in getting a more up-beat team mate.

But, to be honest, I think there is a fair amount of peer support and lletting bygones be bygones. Maybe I want to see the best, but Hamilton and Alonso are natural rivals, and it's foolish to let a grudge get in the way of respect.

Fernando has said these things before and they are more than likely aimed at upsetting the current WDC rather than massaging the ego of Lewis. Fernando is a wylie individual and not adverse the odd mind game. ;)

I think I said something similar on the Lewis thread regarding a similar quote someone put. Fernando is very machavilain with his quotes. I remember him saying he considered Schumacher his only title challenger just before 2010 season startered. Senna was exactly the same - quotes designed to flatter some whilst effing off those he suspected he'd really be fighting against.

Fernando has said these things before and they are more than likely aimed at upsetting the current WDC rather than massaging the ego of Lewis. Fernando is a wylie individual and not adverse the odd mind game. ;)
Did it have the required effect this weekend? Vettel, suddenly, has some bad luck? :D

Back
Top Bottom