Poll Greatest Champion of the 21st Century (to date!)

Greatest Champion of the 21st Century

• Michael Schumacher

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Fernando Alonso

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Kimi Raikkonen

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Jenson Button

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Sebastian Vettel

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
Extremeninja--

If inspiration is your criteria, I humbly suggest you look at these drivers rather than any of today's:

Mike Hailwood--risking his life, diving into the fireball of the BRM to save Regazzoni's life

David Purley--doing the same in an unsuccessful attempt to save Roger Williamson

Niki Lauda's appearing in an F1 car mere weeks after being give Last Rites after his flaming crash in Germany

Alex Zanardi being undaunted by the loss of both legs

The courage and determination shown by these men so far outstrips anything shown by the current crop of drivers that there can be no comparison. These four men are/were inspirational in the truest sense.

None of those drove in the 21st century unless I am missing something. However, I do agree that the names you mentioned were either great or performed great things. Some great examples of what I would call greatness. Big thumbs up.

I didn't watch the Schumacher years. I found F1 to be an extremely boring sport during that period.

I'd go back and check out the 2003 F1 season then if I were you as for me that is the most exciting season in the 21st century. This one might just out do it.

I'll take your word for it. It's an enormous commitment keeping up with the races as they come along. If my judgement is tainted by not having the full picture, then so be it.

As much as it pains me to i voted for Michael Schumacher. Up to now he has been the most dominant driver of this century. Yes he dominated the early years of this century but it was not his fault the opposition teams and drivers were not up to it to beat him.

From all I hear, it probably wasn't theirs either.

oh *yawn* to that Ninja - yes Ferrari had the rub of the green some times but lets remember they got so fed up with Schumie winning they kept changing the rules and he still came out on top. Don't do the boy down

Interesting angle siffert_fan . I suggest that is further evidence of the futility of declaring who is the greatest champion of the 21st century when we have only witnessed 1.2% of it. Those were indeed inspirational, heroic and courageous men. However, many things may happen in the remainder of the century. Who can say today whether similar acts of heroism and courage will not be demonstrated by drivers of this century? In fact the greatest champ' may not even have been born yet.

Sorry to be grumpy but if I were able to I would just vote for "Someone else" or better still "Way too early to say" and keep my trap shut. My apologies to the OP.

Fenderman Well obviously the poll is referring to the best F1 driver of the century so far. No one is going to dig up this forum in 50 years and chastise you for failing to account for future drivers that haven't raced yet.

I voted Alonso because he took on Schumacher in the Ferrari when he was still at the top and came out on top, twice. Although in 2005 the Ferrari was never really that much of a threat, but when the Renault wasn't the fastest car he still won (would he have done so if Raikkonnen wasn't breaking down every race is a different question).
I voted Alonso for the same reasons plus a couple of others. Without the budget restrictions Ferrari threw their own kitchen sink plus a few others at their quest for titles and had Bridgestone securely in their back pocket also. The playing field was far from level for many of Schumacher's titles.

Brogan - it is worth discussing this, but I think Schumacher was a major part of this success. His gap to his nearest challenger (Alonso) in this century is 28 wins. That is exactly the amount of wins Alonso has had in his career. Only 5 drivers in history have won 28 Grand Prix - and that is the gap.
You can't really make a judgement on their careers by wins. The part of Schumacher's career spent in the 21st century, he was driving for the most part a very good Ferrari. For Alonso, other than one year in an uncompetitive Minardi, his F1 career didn't really start until he was given a race seat with Renault in 2003 and it wasn't until 2005 that they were truly competitive leading to back to back titles. Another two years in an uncompetitive Renault after leaving McLaren and finally he's reached Ferrari. His second year at Ferrari was another year in an uncompetitive car, no one was competitive against Red Bull. Whether he can be blamed or whether others played a part in his career choices is irrelevant, if he had been able to settle in a competitive team for the majority of his career as Schumacher did, it's anyones guess how many championships he would have won by now.

siffert_fan......I have nothing but admiration for the courage shown by all the drivers you mention but it's unfair to compare them to any of todays drivers. None of the drivers currently racing have been put in the terrible position any of the drivers you mention were, so we don't know how they would react if they faced the same situation.

Back
Top Bottom