Grand-Am To Race At Indy In 2012

Matthew Little

Points Scorer
Speed Channel: Grand-Am To Race At Indy In 2012

1078955_article_img_large1.jpg

According to Speed's Robin Miller, IMS officials and Grand-Am officials have agreed to host a round of the Grand-Am series starting in 2012.

Just when I thought the geniuses at the Brickyard could go no lower........they had to let the rolling refrigerators of NASCAR's pet road racing seriesGrand-Am onto the premises.........:o:o:o

Personally I quite like the look of the Grand-Am cars, they remind me of the old Group C racers. I assume they'll be racing on the old F1 infield circuit although I confess I have no idea if Grand-Am run on ovals?

Personally I quite like the look of the Grand-Am cars, they remind me of the old Group C racers. I assume they'll be racing on the old F1 infield circuit although I confess I have no idea if Grand-Am run on ovals?

Grand-Am runs on both natural terrain road courses(Lime Rock & VIR for instance) and on stadium road courses(a/k/a "rovals" such as Daytona & Homestead). When they tested back in 2009 they ran on both infield configurations(the F1 & MotoGP sections) so they could use either road course configuration.

As for the DPs'........they're not as bad as people(myself included) make them out to be. If there's one key difference, Senna, it would be that, although the cars are not as technologically sophisticated as the LeMans-style prototypes in use by the ALMS & ACO-related series, there's at least 2 DPs' currently on the Grand-Am grid if I recall that were first run in 2993 & 2004 and are still competitive, something that you'd likely not see over in ACO land.......

there's at least 2 DPs' currently on the Grand-Am grid if I recall that were first run in 2993 & 2004 and are still competitive

They'll fit right in with the Indycars then.

Didn't Indy lose the mystique when the Brickyard 400 started? After F1 and MotoGP I suppose Grand-Am is probably next in line. Just so long as it doesn't detract from Daytona, of course.

my own point of view is that mystique is all very well and good but unless its a road course a race track should hold races..and as many as possible. i hate to see tracks empty and quiet, it goes against their very being. anything and everything that can, lets go racing!

Back
Top Bottom