Poll German GP Overtake of the day - Poll

Who gets your vote?

• Lap 8 - 5 Alonso passed 1 Vettel for 3rd

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Historic?

Alonso came out of the pits with cold tyres giving Hamilton a simple overtake. That hardly compares with Hakkinen going one side of the Minardi and Schumacher the other side. All three drivers had to have nerves of steel.

A, The McLaren-Mercedes had a straight line speed advantage up from Kemmel because Schumacher had put wet settings on the Ferrari in the morning in order to gave it more downforce through the damp fast and medium sweeps but increased it's drag up the hill...and, B, I don't think there was a Minardi involved.

So, try again!

Zonta was in a BAR and was a merely an observer who didn't even know what was happening until it had already happened. Where's the skill in that? The only skill was in Hakkinen "hoping" that Schumacher wasn't going to shove him onto the grass again and he fell into the situation by luck of arriving upon Zonta when he did! There was only one place to pass given their relatve settings.

Meanwhile Hamilton completely picked Alonso's pockets empty. Hamilton was decisive, aggressive and surgical and had to take the outside line where there's less grip.

If it were so easy then why didn't Webber pass Hamilton similarly so?

Hamilton stole a win from right under Ferrari's nose at Nurburgring.

Hamilton basically took a crow bar and separated Alonso's hands from the German Grand Prix victory trophy!

Hakkinen, meanwhile, had a more neutral setting which paid off once it got dry. It's easier to pass a car on a very long up hill straight when it's downforce and drag coefficient is greater. Schumacher bet incorrectly as a whole. What he gained while the track was mainly wet, went out the window when the track started to get dry. And you saw how quicky Hakkinen started to move in on Schumacher when the conditions turned towards the Finn's set up.

hamilton and webber quickened my pulse but hamilton alonso didnt because alonso was asleep, or wasnt covering whereas hamilton and webber were full on at it

I think I prefer Hamilton's move as well on Webber. I've had a look at the BBC highlights video and the few overtakes they show are at these times:

1m 50s: Lap 8, Alonso on Vettel
3m 35s: Lap 12, Webber on Hamilton then Hamilton on Webber
4m 48s: Lap 17: Massa on Vettel
7m 22s: Lap 33: Hamilton on Alonso
8m 03s: Lap 35: Button on Rosberg

I was hoping their would be a few outside the top six but there isn't unfortunately. I've also realised that it's not just overtakes that are exciting for me but battles in general. For examplle Hamilton's defense on Webber on lap 32 (6m 30), and 3/4 cars coming together with Massa and Webber battling on lap 17 (5m 10).

Bit of a delay on the videos this week, and then I encountered some technical difficulties as well, so my apologies for not providing some of the footage necessary for this thread in a timely manner.

Here is the Overtaking Video from the BBC broadcast.

Here are the Overtakes from the Onboard Feed

My two favorites are Schumacher on Petrov Lap 2, and Hamilton's repass of Webber on Lap 13.

I was always planning to say that Schumi on the outside of Button was good and I've just seen Schumi vs Petrov which was also good and my personal fave bar Hammy on Webber and Hammy vs Alonso would be Schumi on Alguesuari.

Hadn't even seen Schumi on Petrov.
Not sure between that and Hamilton on Webber - that was initiated due to the former's minor mistake, but what tenacity to slide through that closing gap against the pitwall, especially after the similar scenario in Canada.

Thanks for the video Keke.

Nominations so far then:

Lap 2 - 7 Schumacher passed 10 Petrov for 8th

Lap 13 - 3 Hamilton passed 2 Webber for 1st

Lap 20 - 6 Massa passed 16 Kobayashi for 7th

Lap 33 - 3 Hamilton passed 5 Alonso for 1st

Please add any other nominations you have and we'll add a poll asap.

Thanks!

That's my new favourite, thanks to Keke's wonderful footage.

A, The McLaren-Mercedes had a straight line speed advantage up from Kemmel because Schumacher had put wet settings on the Ferrari in the morning in order to gave it more downforce through the damp fast and medium sweeps but increased it's drag up the hill...and, B, I don't think there was a Minardi involved.

Yes, you are correct, it was Zonta in the BAR.

Zonta was in a BAR and was a merely an observer who didn't even know what was happening until it had already happened....

Presumably then Zonta had no wing mirrors and no-one told him they were coming up on him. He knew, sat in the middle of the road and left room on either side. He had to trust them as they had to trust him. I'm sorry, but it looked to me like guts all round, if it didn't to you fair enough.

Meanwhile Hamilton completely picked Alonso's pockets empty.

I'm sorry, I don't know what this means. Some Canadian expression? Does it mean that Hamilton committed a criminal offence? :)

Hamilton was decisive, aggressive and surgical and had to take the outside line where there's less grip.

And where he still had far more grip than Alonso.

If it were so easy then why didn't Webber pass Hamilton similarly so?

Don't ask me, ask Webber (who passed Hamilton in a much more difficult place).

Hamilton stole a win from right under Ferrari's nose at Nurburgring.

Ferrari knew that they had to have several seconds lead if it came down to hard tyres in the cold for the last stint.

Hamilton basically took a crow bar and separated Alonso's hands from the German Grand Prix victory trophy!

Just another example of your hyperbole!

Hakkinen, meanwhile, had a more neutral setting which paid off once it got dry. It's easier to pass a car on a very long up hill straight when it's downforce and drag coefficient is greater. Schumacher bet incorrectly as a whole. What he gained while the track was mainly wet, went out the window when the track started to get dry. And you saw how quicky Hakkinen started to move in on Schumacher when the conditions turned towards the Finn's set up.

So Hamilton in a decidedly faster car overtaking Alonso with plenty of space on the road is better that Hakkinen with a decidedly faster car overtaking Schumacher with little space and a car in between them. OK.

Yes, you are correct, it was Zonta in the BAR.

Thank you! :)

And the only thing that matters is this:

So Hamilton in a decidedly faster car overtaking Alonso with plenty of space on the road is better that Hakkinen with a decidedly faster car overtaking Schumacher with little space and a car in between them. OK.

I don't agree with the intent of your statement. :) The Mercedes had a straight line speed advantage (because of the wet v neutral settings differential I alluded to (which you failed to mention in your very original post)) and the over-take happened on an up hill straight with enough room for three cars.

Hamilton did not have a "decidedly faster car"...He had warmer tires but he came from significantly further back and he pounced on Alonso very aggressively and decidedly and had to measure/feel the limits of adhesion on the outside of a corner where there was less grip.

The least we can agree on is that at least the facts have been set right (Zonta, BAR, Schumacher's wet settings bet, etc). ;)

Some people feel the need to turn everything into an argument.

If you have a nomination or comment on an overtake from Germany please post it up.

If you intend to pick holes in others thoughts, bugger off and do it elsewhere before i get my virtual chainsaw out and chop you to pieces.:)

Lap 8 - 5 Alonso passed 1 Vettel for 3rd

Lap 13 - 3 Hamilton passed 2 Webber for 1st

Lap 20 - 6 Massa passed 16 Kobayashi for 7th

Lap 33 - 3 Hamilton passed 5 Alonso for 1st

I think Alonso passing Vettel is good enough to be on the poll

Added!

Are you going to add in a poll, or are you just going let people nominate via through posts?

If so then I vote for:

I'll get one of the mods to add a poll of all our nominations. I did message Speshal about the British GP one, but i think he might be away. Maybe one of the global mods could add it tomorrow...? :wave:

Seems the best way, to have nominations then a poll, otherwise we'd need 50 options in a poll that will probably generate hits on only 3-4 moves...

If/when you want a poll adding, just Report the thread and any one of the mod's who cover the section can do it for you.

The same goes for anyone who wants a poll adding, thread title editing, etc.
Just use Report for everything and anything.

That way you're not reliant on an individual moderator.

Thanks Brogan

OK everyone. - We'll stay open for nominations until tomorrow morning, around FP1 time and at that point ill ask for the poll to be added. If you have any other nominations, not necessarily your favourite overtake, just one you think showed good skill, post up and it will be added for voting to begin tomorrow.

Sorry for all the bold etc, but i realise it will take a while for us all to get used to a workable format for doing this...

Back
Top Bottom