Future F1 Grands Prix

Maldives GP- beach racing!!

I was stationed on the island of Gan, whilst there I had a warning from our section commander about speeding; there was a straight piece of "road" on the way to one of the radar sites. We used to see how fast we could get up to in the Land Rover, the section commander was upstairs in the tower and saw the plume of dust; he then drove down to see who it was taking what he called "a considerably longer time" than I had. So if there is a Maldivian GP I claim the previous fastest lap.:)

20 races would actually be fairly simple if geography was the only consideration. Unfortunately there are various agreements and locked in dates and whatnot that make a common sense approach impossible.

I doubt there will be 21 meetings in 2015 either as provisional dates are prone to being used as bargaining tools and are ultimately dropped. If there are 21 GP I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

A word on the modern mechanic. Although there were only 12-16 official rounds though the 60-70s, teams often attended dozens of unofficial events throughout the year. There were no "curfews" back then either. Mechanics carrying a heavy burden is nothing new. Drivers are incredibly appreciative for the job they do. I would think every team out there would welcome all the track time, brand exposure, and potential revenue that a 20 race schedule offers.

That 2010 race in Korea was a cracker as well!

I've heard that the Korean race was on the calendar to allow the teams to use 5 engines next season - it could then be quietly dropped.

This is like NJ last year when they put it one week after Monaco. There isn't any chance whatsoever of there being a Korean Grand Prix next season, but they are required to place it on the calendar for some contractual reason.

I hope we don't have it. Already too many races. The more races we have the less important each one is. To make an American sports analogy that's why the 12-game College Football season is much more dramatic than the 162-game Major League Baseball season.

I hope we don't have it. Already too many races. The more races we have the less important each one is. To make an American sports analogy that's why the 12-game College Football season is much more dramatic than the 162-game Major League Baseball season.
It's more dramatic, but yikes, I dread to think how bad the Pittsburgh Pirates would be if you dropped MLB down to 12 games!

Hockenheim and the Nurburgring have been alternating for the last few years but now the Ring is uncertain due to new ownership. It could be that Hockenheim do not want to put on a race every year because of the expense; this could account for Korea being there to fill up the numbers if needed.

Not that another race in South Korea would ever be wanted, be much more interesting if it were moved to the North.:snigger:

Back
Top Bottom