Current FOTA falling apart....again?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Looks like the latest attempt to create some sort of team association is about to fail.

It seems they can't agree on anything (there's a surprise), so both Domenicali and Horner have questioned whether it will continue.

I think a lot of us predicted this would happen when it was announced.
There are too many vested interests for the teams to ever agree on fundamental issues.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/270058/horner-questions-future-of-fota/

This was inevitable, and we all know Bernie will have been doing his level best to cleave the teams apart as he has done so succesfully many times in the past. Frank Williams and EJ used to be the stalking horses, looks like Christian Horner has been shaped to take over this role.

This was inevitable, and we all know Bernie will have been doing his level best to cleave the teams apart as he has done so succesfully many times in the past. Frank Williams and EJ used to be the stalking horses, looks like Christian Horner has been shaped to take over this role.
...which is all the more reason that FOTA should try harder not to allow his Eccleship to get amongst them. They could always just kick Red Bull out...

When you really think about it, its kind of hard to understand how/why FOTA should work so closely together, as they are indeed locked in serious combat.

The only time I could see these teams pulling together in complete unity is if they were running their own championship.

Well FOTA still haven't replied to my e-mail of complaint over the TV rights going to SKY back in Aug - not even a generic 'bog off' e-mail - so they weren't exactly organised. Was always and organisation that was bound to fail due to the nature of the people involved.

I'm awaiting to see the power struggle when Emperor Palpatine Bernie Ecclestone either stands down or leaves this mortal coil because someone within the teams will make a move to be the next dictator on the block. Flavio or Fernades most likely - Unless Ron has a secret project up his sleeve.

I think Ron has always wanted to run FOM but he's not a player in the way Bernie is. Have a read of any bio of BE and you will see how often he called Ron's bluff. Ron just isn't devious enough.

Back on topic, FOTA have an office in Switzerland, a General Secretary and admin staff. It's pretty poor that you didn't even get a "thanks for contacting us" automated reply.

Back on topic, FOTA have an office in Switzerland, a General Secretary and admin staff. It's pretty poor that you didn't even get a "thanks for contacting us" automated reply.

Thats exactly what I thought! Maybe they blocked any mail that had BBC in the title.

I know I wasn;t the only one who wrote - anyone else get a response? I got one from the BBC.

Whether or not they call themselves 'FOTA', they have a lot of common interests and a common enemy, so they will unite when Concorde time comes around, as they usually do.

I suspect what Horner is doing here is to put pressure on those FOTA members who don't agree with whatever Red Bull are proposing - effectively threatening to bring the roof down on them all. Maybe Christian is going for a more relaxed interpretation of the RRA than some others would like to see?

Good point about Horner, Galahad - once you hold a competitive advantage, it'd be somewhat foolish to let it be removed from you by a committee of your rivals wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

I don't understand how they can have different enterpretations on the RRA. I thought they were given solid figures which they would self-monitor (which idiot thought that was going to happen...), given this how can teams claim Red Bull are breaching this RRA.

Why don't they just set a budget cap of whatever team had the largest budget the previous year. They could 'give' all the money to the FIA where each team has an account. This method allows everyone to know they are on a level playing field, stops costs rising and still allows for teams to carry on almost as they would do.

The FIA can regulate it with all the paper work that is involved, as everything should have a receipt so all the figures should be there, the negative is that I would feel sorry for the accountant that had to go through it all...:yawn:

I work with finances and accounts on a regular basis and believe me there are many ways to hide expense. For example, work could be outsourced to another company owned by a 'sympathetic' supporter for a loss. "See that new wing? Cost me a tenner, guv. Cost the guy who built it 150 grand, but them's the ways of the world. Cor, lummocks."

Sauber are the latest team to leave FOTA.

So those no longer in FOTA are Red Bull, Ferrari, Sauber, Red Bull 2 (Toro Rosso) and HRT.

Well that's to be expected, Sauber rarely stray far from Ferrari. Seems like the next Concorde Agreement should go a lot smoother than last time now the teams are severely divided, Bernie does it yet again...

Philosophically, it is incredible the teams ever came to any agreement ever.

Twelve competitors in an exclusive world and all working towards the same goal, but with one common enemy who also happens to be the paymaster.

Do they have more chance if they band together or if they plough their own furrow?

The main enemy of FOTA, Herr Mosley is gone.
Now most teams don't see the benefit anymore of staying together. They just wanna do their own thing.

It is worth pointing out that Ferrari left FOTA because they fell out with Red Bull. Sauber followed them.

Red Bull left because of the same argument and Toro Rosso followed them.

I feel a bit sorry for Mercedes and McLaren who have tried not to fall out with anyone. They have now agreed with Ferrari on the troublesome issue of the RRA to involve the FIA which puts them in opposition to Red Bull and Bernie.

Philosophically, it is incredible the teams ever came to any agreement ever.

That's why they need Bernie so much because he will agree anything with anyone (only later do you learn that he didn't agree what you thought he did)...

Twelve competitors in an exclusive world and all working towards the same goal, but with one common enemy who also happens to be the paymaster.

Do they have more chance if they band together or if they plough their own furrow?

You would think so Jen, but Bernie always offers the best deals to those that sign up first. McLaren in particular have lost a lot in past negotiations as Bernie has refused collective bargaining.

It can't be that those who leave first get the most money or Frank Williams would have beaten them to the door. Even if he had to batter them out of the way with his wheelchair.

Interesting how 10 out of 12 teams agreed to sign a new policing measure for the RRA. Only RB and Torro Rosso did not. It got brought up quite a lot during today's team principle press conference:- http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13152.html

See some snippets copied below. I've put (more content) where there is more to follow to an answer.

Christian, last week in the press conference, the team principals that were present confirmed that ten of the twelve had signed a copy of the letter to the FIA regarding cost-cutting and policing of the Resource Restriction Agreement (RRA). I believe that your team and your sister team didn’t sign; is there a particular reason for that?
CH:
Yeah. We didn’t see the letter. Simple. I can’t sign something I didn’t see. (more content)

Continuing on that thread, why would you not want to be policed when ten other teams would agree to that? That would suggest you’ve got something to hide in your accounts or the way you manage your finances?
CH:
Or it would suggest that we’re structured in a different way (more content)

Christian, back to the letter: does it worry you that ten people had actually left the two Red Bull teams off the list of invitees, and secondly, being one who has never really been slow at coming forward, did you not consider getting a copy of the letter and seeing if you would like to append your signature?
CH:
Maybe it will be printed on the internet, you never know. Maybe you’ve got a copy that I can look at later (more content)

Did you not try and get yourself a copy of the letter?
CH:
If I don’t agree with the content of the letter then why do I need a copy? Thank you.

Very amusing. Christian Horner clearly getting wound up and he completely contradicts himself. In his first answer he says he didn't sign the letter because he didn't see it, implying they were not given a chance to see it. Then in the last answer he actually admits he hasn't seen it because he isn't interested in looking at it!

Back
Top Bottom