Movies Film Thread

I started to watch Quadrophenia today. Never go back to films which were an important part of your youth as they will disappoint.

I never liked it when I watched it way back when - never understood the appeal.

I do like this reviewer's comment from Rotten Tomatoes though:
When you're an angry young man, there's no better way to prove you're an individual than to dress and act exactly like everybody else.

:D

I do like this reviewer's comment from Rotten Tomatoes though:
That reminds me of a review of a Levellers concert from years ago, I think it was in Q magazine. It said something like "The very definition of ironic is a group full of people all dressed the same, crammed into a room singing "There's only one way of life and that's your own" all together"

LOL

Quadrophenia is OK. It hasn't aged well.

As people may recall from previous conversations, I've never been massively into the Marvel films. The kids, especially my lad, have asked to watch them as we have Disney plus.

As seems to be the law, we are therefore watching them in Marvel Universe chronological order.

To date we've done: (with my review)

Captain America - The First Avenger. 6/10. Good fun especially the first half but the second half seemed to jump from one set piece to the next.

Captain Marvel - 8/10. I looked at some of the reviews on line for this and couldn't believe how badly it was slammed. I quite enjoyed it. Decent humour. Good twist. Nice and fun.

Iron Man - 8/10. A bit more of a grown up film. Decent action. Strong performance from Robert Downey JR. I laughed out loud at several bits. Definitely the best of the three I've seen so far.

Next up..... Iron Man 2.

Last edited:
Watching them in chronological order makes much more sense than release order.

There will be ups and downs over the 18? movies.

We liked Captain Marvel and couldn't understand why it was rated so poorly (and the lead actress attacked).

Some of the movies are very tongue in cheek and have some genuinely funny bits.

Others I can take or leave though - I definitely won't be watching any of the Ant Man movies again.

Yeah, I don't get the Captain Marvel hate. My daughter really rated it and it was probably her favourite of the three we've seen so far because of the female lead.

I thought the lead actress was perfectly fine and the banter between her and SLJ was good.

Like I've said, it's not really my thing so I'm trying to approach it with an open mind. The only two I've already seen were the first Thor film and the first Ant Man film, both of which I quite enjoyed. I wonder how those two will stand up on repeat viewing?

I'm a bit late to the party but it's good to have something new to watch.

Iron Man 2 - 7/10. Not quite as good as the first film but still fun. I laughed far too much at the "fighting an attack of Hammerroids" line

One thing I have noticed as a common trend with these films is that they zip along at a fair old pace and tend to focus on the big battle stuff. Even though Iron Man 2 was a two hour long film it certainly didn't feel like it. It's strange to actually feel like I want a bit more character development.

Don't get me wrong,I don't want it to get all "deep and meaningful, touchy feely" but I haven't really cared about the heroes in the story or felt a massive sense of jeopardy yet.

Let's be honest, Iron Man hasn't exactly found it too difficult to dispatch the bad guys.

The more I think about it, I think I need to give Captain Marvel a higher score. I've gone back and given it 8/10.

I agree with you in that Brogan - he is better in the Avengers movies.

The first Avengers movie is when it all starts to come together for me but my favourite movie is still Captain America 2.

Back
Top Bottom