Movies Film Thread

You ever hang around with a group of aviators?

Yep, on my last ship when I was in the Navy, I qualified as a flight deck officer. I waved the petrol pigeon up and down.

The nickname for aviators in the RN are WAFU's Which stands for Wet and Useless (the swear filter won't let me tell you what the F stands for!)

Bless them, they really do love themselves.

LOL

Did they all play volly ball whilst being greased up and secretly in love with each other?

Not when they were in my house and I was feeding them, no. But they were a lively bunch that's the for sure. The funniest one amongst them was actually a serving army brigadier. My ex husband used to 'work' the airshow circuit with them for quite a few years and they'd turn up unnanounced and hoping to be fed. I also had and uncle and some cousins in the RAF and the Navy on one side of my family, they're rowdy/ lively bunch too.

I like will smith, but don't they say about him that every film is just will smith playing himself. im sure that like any job even as lowdown as mine, when made in to a tv show or a film there part that unless you work in that sector think are over exaggerated. & in reality are under exaggerated as reality wouldn't be believed LOL

but I heard that on top gun that tom cruise plays a character that's only progressed abit in his career

For me Top Gun is as much about the planes as it is Tom Cruise to be honest. When we used to live in our old house it had a flat roof and was close to where the Red Arrows used to display at least 2-3 times a year. When they were around we'd climb up and sit on the roof as they'd scream overhead, it was awesome! That was of course before I got all the problems with my balance and so on, I wouldn't dare do anything like that now.

I’m married to an ex RN aviator. He used to fly to the deck in the days when we had aircraft carriers. He was neither wet nor useless.
Flying to the deck in the middle of an ocean that’s making the deck rise and fall when there is nowhere else to go, takes a certain kind of lunacy for sure, but it has nothing to do with being wet or useless.
Oh, and he thinks Top Gun is a pile of crap, And I think he includes Tom Cruise in that.

Last edited:
I’m married to an ex RN aviator. He used to fly to the deck in the days when we had aircraft carriers. He was neither wet nor useless.
Flying to the deck in the middle of an ocean that’s making the deck rise and fall when there is nowhere else to go, takes a certain kind of lunacy for sure, but it has nothing to do with being wet or useless.
Oh, and he thinks Top Gun is a pile of crap, And I think he includes Tom Cruise in that.
So your husband is not like Tom Cruise at all?

I presume Val Kilmer won't be flying. Can't imagine there is a G suit big enough to get his lardy arse in these days.

You do know Val Kilmer has been battling throat cancer don't you? I mean, yes he got fat soon after Top Gun which was a real shame, but he's been very ill recently.

month ago went to see rocketman, its hard to compare that & queen as they are 2 different films. rocketman was more 1/2 movie 1/2 musical & but interesting to see all his mental demons. caused by let down by all people he loved but few days before i went on holiday i bought the soundtrack. i love it, taron Edgerton made covering & putting a spin elton look easy. the im still standing 1st 90 secs, brings new meaning to lyrics. even the new original duet is a banger

Finally watched Avengers End Game last night.

Not what I was expecting at all.

Glad I watched Captain Marvel first - otherwise a major part of the movie would have made no sense.

Now that we have Disney+ and my daughter is old enough, we're watching the Marvel movies together in chronological order.

• Captain America: The First Avenger (takes place during WWII)
  • Captain Marvel (takes place in 1995)
  • Iron Man (takes place in 2010)
  • Iron Man 2 (takes place after Iron Man)
  • The Incredible Hulk (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
  • Thor (time unspecified, pre-Avengers)
  • The Avengers (takes place in 2012)
  • Iron Man 3 (takes place six months after The Avengers)
  • Thor: Dark World (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier (post-Avengers, pre-Ultron)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (sometime in 2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (after Guardians)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (takes place in 2015)
  • Ant-Man (takes place in 2015)
  • Captain America: Civil War (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (post-Civil War, pre-Infinity War)
  • Doctor Strange (takes place in 2016)
  • Black Panther (takes place in 2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (post-Ultron, pre-Infinity War)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (takes place in 2017)
  • Ant-Man and The Wasp (ambiguous, but fits nicely between IW and Endgame)
  • Avengers: Endgame (starts in 2017, finishes in 2022)
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home (post-Endgame)

Not really into the Marvel world but must admit I enjoyed Ant Man immensely when I stumbled across it on a Movie Channel when Wifey and I were looking for something to watch.

We went to watch Shaun the Sheep Farmageddon for my sons birthday and I have to say that was hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom