FIA FIA announces changes to stewarding for 2009

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
The FIA has announced some changes to the stewarding for 2009.

So a bit more transparency and a step in the right direction towards full-time stewards.

Perhaps this may help to eradicate some of the inconsistencies seen during 2008?

During the 2008 season a review took place of the stewarding arrangements in F1. The current panel of stewards consists of two international stewards and one national steward, all of whom must be eligible for the FIA’s super licence. For 2009, the following updates will be made:

- Any national steward participating who is officiating for the first time will be required to ‘observe’ a minimum of one Grand Prix prior to their event.
- At five Grands Prix in 2009, a number of trainee Stewards, nominated by their ASN and selected by the FIA, will be invited to attend.
- Before each Grand Prix, a short CV of each steward will be posted on the FIA website.
- With the benefit of a new replay system available to the stewards, all incidents will be investigated and appropriate action taken during the race, unless it is essential to seek further evidence afterwards.
- Following the race, a short written explanation of steward’s decisions will be published on the FIA website. This will supplement the formal steward’s decision which largely defines the breach of the rules.
- Where appropriate, additional film evidence that the public may not have seen but which was reviewed by the stewards, will be made available on both the FIA and FOM websites.
[SOURCE]

- Following the race, a short written explanation of steward’s decisions will be published on the FIA website. This will supplement the formal steward’s decision which largely defines the breach of the rules.
- Where appropriate, additional film evidence that the public may not have seen but which was reviewed by the stewards, will be made available on both the FIA and FOM websites.

This is the best news of all. It means that there should be some transparency in the decision making which is for me the biggest factor in 2008's silly season.

Wish they would make this rulling retrospective. Massa V Bourdais anyone ??

It is very good news and hopefully will eliminate the seed of doubt of race result fixing!

I really don't see any point in making it retrospective, we'll just have to live with what were farcical decisions LOL

To be honest I don't see that big a change. I would have liked to have seen any penalty that was imposed after the race - and therefore is reviewable - should be allowed to be appealed. The fact that they could hide an explanation to the Spa debacle by saying it wasn't appealable was a disgrace.

I agree on the "non-appeal" issue Mezzer.
Still, at least it's some progress, no matter how small.

Another reservation is related to the release of video footage.
Where appropriate, additional film evidence that the public may not have seen but which was reviewed by the stewards, will be made available on both the FIA and FOM websites.
Note the use of the words "where appropriate".
I expect this will give the stewards an option whether they choose to publish video or not.
I would hope that they do in all instances though to avoid any future uncertainty.

I think it's positive overall. I didn't expect them to do anything, so pleasantly surprised.

These official explanations though...I'm going to save copies of them for later. They might be making rods for their own backs there.

Definitely like the fact that more information will be made available ... if appropriate. ;) I agree this is a step forward and will grasp it with both hands, it just could have been a bit more expansive. At least the FIA [now] also seems to feel they didn't do the most brilliant job is a step forward, IMO they have acted as if they did not answer to anyone.

Although I agree this is a step forward towards more transparency - I'm still slightly worried about a few points raised, namely:

- Any national steward participating who is officiating for the first time will be required to ‘observe’ a minimum of one Grand Prix prior to their event.

Presumably this will be the event closest to their home GP? (after all isn't Max wanting to go all green) it makes no sense to fly the Abu Dhabi Steward to Spa to observe (where there may well be some closer racing!) - this raises another point, presumably the Abu Dhabi steward will be a holder of a stewarding super license, does this mean they were stewards on the Abu Dhabi rally - rallying to F1? interesting (we will fnd out this time next year!)

- At five Grands Prix in 2009, a number of trainee Stewards, nominated by their ASN and selected by the FIA, will be invited to attend.

Attend or attend and observe?

- With the benefit of a new replay system available to the stewards, all incidents will be investigated and appropriate action taken during the race, unless it is essential to seek further evidence afterwards.

New replay system? This confuses me - surely FOM could provide all video feeds from the national broadcaster to the FIA - these days it's a case of one cable and a decoder from all the cameras at the circuit. As per the Spa debacle where they said oh we only have CCTV footage from the circuit to make decisions.

But all in all I feel it's a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom