Current Ferrari

Izumi

Points Scorer
I think Vettel had his own close call with "pour encourager les autres'", when he clashed with Arrivabene. Sebastian received public scolding, but it cost ultimately Maurizio - a smoking man - his job. Alain was another head, who in 1991 said too much and paid the piper with loss of his own red seat.

sobriety

Pole Sitter
The idea that the problem is easy to fix once they understand what it is sounds a little, well, presumptive.

What if it turns out to be a fundamental flaw in the entire design philosophy of the car?I can't see them sorting something like that out in a week or two.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Usually empirical development follows. You change one parameter, test, and then based on results either you move forward, or pull back, and try something else. With lid on development and no time between races, this methodology is however a dead end.
I am not sure whether two or three Ph.D. with very expensive computers and software will be enough to crack the nut while drinking a lot of coffee in between runs. The situation seems precarious, and unless mother luck decides to help, this might be another season of lost dreams, especially if problem is centered on flaw in basic car design; but then, how that could happen? Car was supposed to be evolution, not revolution...a reason why I am still hopeful it is solvable and soon enough to salvage this season. Pre season testing suggested it cannot be that bad.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I think people will be wondering how Ferrari who appeared to have the fastest car over winter , have somehow languished way behind Mercedes

Truth to be said they should have won Bahrain with Le Clerc. In Baku , Le Clerc looked like the man to beat until he threw it into the barriers but Barcelona has left them shell shocked that Mercedes were even further ahead

I guess the knives are out at Ferrari and unfortunately its always the team principal's head that is on the chopping block. The only one who managed to play the game well was Jean Todt who with Schumacher, Brawn and Byrne who managed to get the time they need to deliver

At Ferrari - there just is not enough time to deliver before someone starts shouting they are in crisis. it just that Ferrari don't seem to make the right decisions at the moment and Mercedes are punishing them at every moment

It won't be long before the Italian media start turning on Vettel if they have not already

Izumi

Points Scorer
Reports are surfacing that Ferrari's technical department is undergoing significant reorganization. If true, then it could be just confirmation of Brawn's theory, that red team slipped behind RBR into P3 on the grid in terms of having competitive car. Simone Resta might be coming back, however we know nothing if i) he is available, and ii) how much that will cost. There is however very little doubt, that Mattia needs support. Canada, he warned us already, will not yield any miracles.

Last edited:

Izumi

Points Scorer
"For a straightforward comparison in Barcelona between test and race, we have done worse for one simple reason. We developed the car in the wrong direction. Because we had misjudged the weaknesses and limitations of our package,"Binotto told Auto Motor und Sport.
That is not what I would consider good news. The thing is, never-mind WCC, but even P2 might not be that much safe, as RBR is improving race by race.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Binotto needs help to manage the team technically, and administratively. Recently it was rumored that some changes were undertaken in that direction. Point however is, based on his feedback, fans of the team and drivers need to be very strong this season without grinding teeth much.
I don't think Binotto is in hot water with top brass yet, however how long that lovefest will continue remains to be seen. There could be more changes in the offing by the year end. I am not sure what will happen with Sebastian. He seems genuinely disillusioned with the car and its technology, just as he is not too impressed with FiA.

Last edited:

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Apparently Ferrari have lodged a "right to review" on Vettel's penalty .. Its means they think they have new evidence to help overturn the penalty

Ruslan

Points Scorer
Apparently Ferrari have lodged a "right to review" on Vettel's penalty .. Its means they think they have new evidence to help overturn the penalty
I think what it really means is that if they appealed the decision, they could have been further penalized or penalized for another fraction. Therefore, they did not appeal to avoid further penalties and instead went "right to review" where they will not get further penalized. This appears to be more about legal trickery than anything else.

What new evidence could they have?

Izumi

Points Scorer
New recruits by Ferrari: (F1 tech.)

• Stephen Boyd (Liberty) as a strategy expert
• Maurizio Tomasselli (worked as a coordinator for chassis development at Toro Rosso)
• Hermann Wolche (Mercedes) will get a role inside the wind tunnel activities
• Francois Dejoyeaux (prev. worked at Renault in the engine centre in Viry-Charillon) will work at the engine department
• Nigel Rupert-Nuttling from Red Bull will join (correlation between the CFD-simulations and the track)
Sadly, due to nature of design of this generation of racing cars, and under light of comments by Binotto, I think the car needs complete redesign, and consequently this season is most likely over for the red team. Fight is effectively for P2 in WCC only, methinks.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Binotto is under fire that his openness perceived as self-incriminating (he talks too much). His admission of flawed car design, and mismanagement of drivers is under media criticism. Now we need to wait how much patience his boss will endure before string breaks.
On the other hand, can Ferrari afford to have revolving door and general instability in the front office? Perhaps some private counseling and PR education would calm things down.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Ah, you mean they should lie:shocked:
I haven't suggested anything of that kind. Binotto is under fire from segments of media. Between lying and admitting all is of course a third option, namely, don't talk too much, and sidestep damaging answers without committing a lie. Do not offer any information voluntarily you are not asked about. Some litigators or defense lawyers on this board could speak about this subject more expertly.

Last edited:

Ruslan

Points Scorer
I think what it really means is that if they appealed the decision, they could have been further penalized or penalized for another fraction. Therefore, they did not appeal to avoid further penalties and instead went "right to review" where they will not get further penalized. This appears to be more about legal trickery than anything else.

What new evidence could they have?
They had no new evidence. No review. Case closed, for better or for worse.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Frédéric Vasseur to Ferrari? He is not denying it. Tantalizing humor that would however potentially sideline Binotto. I'm not sure how that could work with both at the helm.

That Rihanna garbage is really rich coming from a team which engaged for years in every regulatory advantage over others they could get, blocking fair competition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom